Gagb Committee Elections

Moote

Just to inform all UK Geocachers the voting for the Geocaching Association of Great Britain is due to take place on 19th November 2005.

As there has not been a constant advertising campaign staged by the present committee, both my self and Mongoose39Uk wish to inform you of this forthcoming election.

The people who are nominated candidates are as follows:

Dave of The Wombles

MCL

Sarah of Team Tate

Debbie/David of The Bramblers

Paul of Team Blitz (outgoing Chairman)

Moote

Mongoose39uk

We both feel that this is a better place to advertise this election as more people visit here on a regular basis than visit The GAGB website and Forums

We hope that you all use your vote and wish to keep this thread open so that all can see, and make their democratic voice be heard.

In all fairness a thread was posted on the 2nd November but this was done in a Post and Closed fashion so that it quickly died.

Thanks

Moote and Mongoose39UK

Edited to look nicer original content unchanged

Edited by Moote

Thank you for alerting me to this vote... although I have been a GAGB member since the beginning of September I am not allowed to participate in this vote...

I'd like to know why not! And why the GAGB members have not been informed of it in a corect and proper fashion.

Matt

Without wishing to be killjoys, what exactly does the committee do and what does it achieve? Given that geocaching is very effectively run by GC.COM we're not at all sure what GAGB actually does! We have been geocaching for about 18 months and have found very little need to look outside GC.COM. However, we're sure this has been argued before..

Please don't take this posting badly - we know from a lifetime's experience that many people enjoy being on committees and do their best to serve their various organisations. We don't! However, if GAGB really does achieve something for geocaching in the UK good luck to all concerned.

Without wishing to be killjoys, what exactly does the committee do and what does it achieve? Given that geocaching is very effectively run by GC.COM we're not at all sure what GAGB actually does! We have been geocaching for about 18 months and have found very little need to look outside GC.COM. However, we're sure this has been argued before..

Please don't take this posting badly - we know from a lifetime's experience that many people enjoy being on committees and do their best to serve their various organisations. We don't! However, if GAGB really does achieve something for geocaching in the UK good luck to all concerned.

It's main function is to assist in seeking landowner permission to place caches on their land.

It provides usefull guidelines which may assist in selling the idea to Landowners.

I am not into being on comitees, however due to my circumstances at this time I do have time to assist.

I think the pain point from both Moote and myself would be that we want to make a positive contribution to this game. We would also like to see a situation where "members" are clearly informed of any elections without having to ensure they read the forums everyday.

No criticism intended, just would like to see the elections done a little differently. Not out to rock or change the world.

Wow that was a bit serious for me! Better get back to being a pain in the backside that s more my style :anicute:

Cheers

Tony

GAGB is an important part of this hobby, but in it's present form does little to paint it's glories to the wealth of the GeoCaching community. I see this as nothing major to overcome but it requires overcoming sooner rather than later.

If I was a committee member I would make it one of my priorities to improve communication links between the Committee and the caching community as a whole. I have ideas already on how this situation can be achieved without little or no cost in money terms and little in terms of time spent.

My reasons for wishing to be a committee member is not to be thought of as a higher god within the caching world, but more to be thought of as your personal butler serving you come rain or shine, and providing you with a truly visible facility.

I do believe in the aims of GAGB, I just think they need to publicly bring about a better face, so that we all know what is happening in the GAGB lodge.

Milton (aka Moote)

I have ideas already on how this situation can be achieved without little or no cost in money terms and little in terms of time spent. 

How do you propose to do this ?

I would think the new email sent to all new cache placers by teasel which directly links to the GAGB as detailed in this thread has allready achieved this.

That is a one off communication which might only explain things as of that point of time. Changes to the rules, new agreements and committee elections are only visible to people who visit the predominantly static site on a regular basis.

The forums on the whole appear to be somewhat quiet, also you have to go into these things, to see what might be going on. If they have not changed in days / sometimes weeks, then you feel that nothing happens and turn your head and start to ignore.

This is in no way a good thing, a good organisation should on the outside look dynamic but sadly I personally do not feel that GAGB portrays that dynamic feel (I'm sure they do a lot but I can't easily see it)

I have several easy to implement ideas which could have already been done as previous recent post made reference to these but nothing was taken up! Maybe because it's better the devils you know. But having help on Committees I know and fully understand that new blood breaths new life, by the procreation of new ideas.

Milton (aka Moote)

I wish to make it clear that I have no problem with Bill being Chairman. It is the way things are done in the future that I would like to see changed. I personally would prefer it if you did stay on as Chairman.

I do however feel one posting that is easily missed is not good enough and I know many others feel this way.

I am not here to "kick up a fuss" that is not my style on serious issues. It is not a case of winning through.

I merely think things could have been done better and am willing to put my money where my mouth is and to provide assist assistance to the organisation.

Tony

Original Post taken from GAGB forum

Bill,

I know that I kicked up a fuss, about your position as Chairperson of GAGB but on reflection I believe that we were not entirely correct about our rants in early November, I thought that I had made that clear, obviously that was not the case.

I posted today on the GC.com forums because I want a greater number of people to be aware of the elections, and that post I personally believe is well thought out and positive. If as you say you wanted to change things then I myself think that your recent decision maybe not the best thing for GAGB. To this aim I personally place my support behind you to take back the position of Chairperson.

If I am elected on to GAGB then I would support, the Chairperson wholeheartedly.

Milton (aka Moote)

Perhaps off topic .....

We will not be voting for anyone who insists on making an issue of Chairman versus Chairperson . :rolleyes:

Plus we feel anyone who believes they have the time and commitment to be on the comittee of G.A.G.B should be noticing and remember ng significant postings on G.A.G.B. site without requiring additional postings on the G.C. Com site .

As a result of work commitments dumped on me at short notice, I was "out of circulation" from last Sunday until tonight....

So thanks go to Moote for posting the information about the election.... as he says, the nominations close tomorrow (heck, any time up till midnight will me!), with the election from 19th.

Whilst there are 7 people nominated for the 5 posts, it may be that not everyone *is* willing to stand... so we still don't know if there will be an actual election!

I'll let you all know who says yes / no when I know myself!

Paul

Without wishing to be killjoys, what exactly does the committee do and what does it achieve?  Given that geocaching is very effectively run by GC.COM we're not at all sure what GAGB actually does!  We have been geocaching for about 18 months and have found very little need to look outside GC.COM.  However, we're sure this has been argued before..

Please don't take this posting badly - we know from a lifetime's experience that many people enjoy being on committees and do their best to serve their various organisations.  We don't!  However, if GAGB really does achieve something for geocaching in the UK good luck to all concerned.

GAGB is an important part of this hobby, but in it's present form does little to paint it's glories to the wealth of the GeoCaching community. I see this as nothing major to overcome but it requires overcoming sooner rather than later.

If I was a committee member I would make it one of my priorities to improve communication links between the Committee and the caching community as a whole. I have ideas already on how this situation can be achieved without little or no cost in money terms and little in terms of time spent.

My reasons for wishing to be a committee member is not to be thought of as a higher god within the caching world, but more to be thought of as your personal butler serving you come rain or shine, and providing you with a truly visible facility.

I do believe in the aims of GAGB, I just think they need to publicly bring about a better face, so that we all know what is happening in the GAGB lodge.

Milton (aka Moote)

One of the problems the GAGB committe has had this last year is that many members (and I'll put myself at the top of the list) have simply not had enough free time to do a lot.

Bill and Dave are the 2 members who stand out head and shoulders above the rest of us, for all the active work they have done this year.... and for that, they deserve a major "thank you" from all of us.

I'm involved with hospital Radio, and whilst I've been Chief Engineer for many years, this year I took on the role of Programme Controller as well.... and having been making some MAJOR changes to the way that the station works, I've been VERY busy for the last 9 months. Indeed, I've hardly done any caching in the last 6 months.

Martyn (MCL) always made it clear that he was wanting to take a "back seat" on the committee, and I know Sarah has had various personal / family commitments this last year.

I don't think we ever intended to be doing huge amounts in terms of the publicity side of things... we felt our role was more of a "facilitating organisation"... thus all the "behind the scenes" work that Dave and Bill have done talking to landowners (often as a result of a request from a cacher).

The GAGB is a staunchly non-commercial organisation... we've had a couple of contacts from commercial organisations in the last few months, and have had to make some careful decisions (and in one case consulting quite a few others for their thoughts) about what to do .... in principle, we decided that GAGB needed to be at a long arm's length from anything commercial. The down side to that is that we lose a great opportunity to promote the GAGB.

So, maybe it is indeed time to make more cachers aware of the GAGB, and why we exist... in the last 18 months, the number of UK cachers has increased dramatically, and most of those are quite possibily oblivious to the existance of the GAGB.

Some time ago we kinda took the decision that, having our own forums, we would not constantly post in the GC.COM forums... maybe we should have actually DONE a bit of posting if only to raise awareness. If only the committee between them had more time :-(

So, if you DO have the time to do something to raise the profile of the GAGB, then that is great!

To t.a.folk: my only comment of the "chairman" vs "chairperson" debate is that, according to the GAGB constitution, we have a chairman, and under the Sexual Equality Act, that is 100% allowed, but is deemed to refer equally to men and women. End of debate :-)

Paul

To t.a.folk: my only comment of the "chairman" vs "chairperson" debate is that, according to the GAGB constitution, we have a chairman, and under the Sexual Equality Act, that is 100% allowed, but is deemed to refer equally to men and women.

Agree 100%

That was the point of our posting .

paul.blitz wrote:

...the nominations close tomorrow ...

Just to avoid any further misunderstandings, I think that's a slip of the typing finger. Nominations closed last Saturday, the 12th.

Bugger...

... you're right of course. Personally, I'd blame the guy who set those dates in the first place :-)

In my defence, I was still rather tired last night after a busy week!

Paul