Airport Scanners And Gpsrs

media601

And if your receiver uses SD cards, SanDisk says this:

Taking Cards Through Airport X-Ray Machines and Metal Detectors: You can put full or empty flash cards in your checked baggage or in your carry-ons with little risk of damage from airport scanners. The International Imaging Industry Association conducted tests last year with security devices used in U.S. airports and found that no damage to the cards resulted with normal travel frequency. As an added precaution, SanDisk recommends that you take the card out of your camera before passing through security devices.

I travel way too much...I fly back and forth from the US to Europe every 2 to 3 weeks. I always carry my Legend in my carry on bag. I've never taken it out at security, and no one has ever asked about it in any country I've taken it to (US, UK, France, Germany, or Italy). At Charles de Gaulle in Paris they'll sometimes ask what electronic devices I'm carrying. I'll mention the GPS receiver, but they never even blink an eye. Going through the x-ray does nothing to the data or the GPSr.

Edited by Team Tired Boy

I travel way too much...I fly back and forth from the US to Europe every 2 to 3 weeks. I always carry my Legend in my carry on bag. I've never taken it out at security, and no one has ever asked about it in any country I've taken it to (US, UK, France, Germany, or Italy). At Charles de Gaulle in Paris they'll sometimes ask what electronic devices I'm carrying. I'll mention the GPS receiver, but they never even blink an eye.

Put it in your bag and let it go through the X-ray. That will just be light passing through the device. I would be somewhat hesitant to let it go through the metal detector as that would be electro-magnetic energy passing through it. The energy is probably too weak to do any damage, but why take the chance. Passing it through light would be the lesser of two evils.