Disgusted And Appalled

JimmyRat

I just wanted to make you all aware of the people that are in the IRC channel #geocache on irc.slashnet.org, I came into this room for the first time with my two kids watching as well, as they are also into Geocaching

As you can see I had my name changed because it was already taken, so upon changing my name I receive the message you see below, I jokingly responded with one of the built in responders in my IRC client to be greeted by this imbecile and his barrage of abuse.

I just wanted to make anyone aware that is thinking of going in there or allowing their kids in there to stay well away, it’s the certain few that spoil it for the rest

[8:05pm] *NickServ* This nickname has been registered; you may not use it. Your nickname is now being changed to Guest1702487026

[8:05pm] *legal1* Jimmy=Guest1702487026 Oh Yeah? That nick's kewl 8o)

[8:05pm] *Guest1702487026 is now known as JimmyR

[8:05pm] *legal1* Guest1702487026 = JimmyR Oh Yeah? That nick's kewl 8o)

[Content removed by moderator]

[8:06pm] <JimmyR> wow your a nice chap aint you

Edited by Keystone

Well I happen to know Legal1 is having trouble with a script that has been automatically started. I'm curious though why you would instigate a slap fest then take offense to the response?

You're right though... some people just don't know how to enter an irc room without starting trouble. :cool:

As noted on the link that takes you from the Groundspeak Forums to the ClayJar Chat Channel on IRC #geocache, this service is not sponsored by Groundspeak. Please address your complaint to ClayJar, who manages the channel.

The material is equally offensive when posted into the Groundspeak Forums, so I've removed it. Content posted here is governed by the Forum Guidelines linked at the top left corner of every page. ClayJar would be able to speak to any guidelines which might govern the #geocache channel.

Thanks.

Since the apperent bad parts are missing, I'm wondering something. Were you bickering (I assume thats what was happening) with another person, or some automated script?? or ???

(not that I think obnoxious scipts are good, but I'm missing what the issue is)

The complaint about the chat was certainly not the first. I fear it will likely not be the last. However, it would be a mistake to believe that this means that the behavior exhibited is acceptable on the chat. I assure you, this is most certainly not the case. In as much as I have the means, I have reprimanded the chatters involved, as I have done on occasions before. When that has failed in the past, I have personally and permanently banned those involved. (Long time chatters will remember with awe the famed "TJWilson" ban, for which there was great rejoicing.)

Can I be there and police everything all the time? Absolutely, and I'll gladly begin as soon as I figure out how to make $50k a year doing it. In the meantime, rest assured that I will continue to do everything in my power to keep the chat as open and as friendly as possible. We have needed exceptionally few bans over the almost four years of chat precisely because of the open and friendly culture we've worked hard to build... even if there have been a few "Calvins" (as in "and Hobbes") along the way that had to be reminded what acceptable behavior entails.

Please, don't be afraid to come to the chat, but if you do encounter any problems, come to me first. Chances are, I can talk to the people involved (including my standard "What in the *WORLD* were you thinking?!?" speech, complete with virtual parental overunit system) -- we've been civilized for over 200 weeks. If for some reason talk does not work, it is my obligation to ban, temporarily or permanently, the offending parties, and logs will show that I will do so (but only as a very last resort).

Again, my personal apologies for the events of the night. I would rather bad situations never come up, but the chat is, above all, a community of geocachers, and in any community, there will always be the occasional pain.

(Long time chatters will remember with awe the famed "TJWilson" ban, for which there was great rejoicing.)

I've never been on your chat, but as I recall TJWilson turned out to be some kid from Newfoundland. He brought his fight over here and got banned a couple times on different accounts, before he finally gave up.

That was eons ago by my watch, so if this is as bad as it gets, you're doin' good. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Snoogans

The times that I've been in chat, things have been more loose than in here, but it has always had a friendly nice to know ya type atmosphere. I've always felt welcomed.

It's just like anywhere else. There's a lot of people out there, and we're all different, and you're bound to run into someone who's not very nice once in a while.

Since things have been edited down to nothing, suffice it to say that the OP basically "walked into the room" and started virtually slapping around one of the female regulars. Someone else defended her, and the OP didn't like that.

There are always at least 2 sides to every story, and for being so concerned about what his kids read over his shoulder, he sure set a bad example by showing them slapping a woman around is funny.

I've never encountered anything like the OP's posings in the many times I've been in chat, event though it's been a while. I've even seen a few "watch the language" posts there. I was quite surprised to read the first edition , and thought I smelled a rat. I'm glad this was reopened so clayjar could clear the air, and others could post a rebuttal. :ph34r:

Like forest rocks, most situations have two sides (or more) but one is always against the ground, slimy and out of sight. :anicute:

Oh and AW, I would never offer to slap you around in there. The follow up post in here would be legendary. <_<:lol::anibad:

Since things have been edited down to nothing...

And thusly lost all sense of what went on. A bit of use of %@%$^@, [censored], and "Actor#1" would have given us a sense of what happened and be able to talk intelligently about it. Now, we are jut left getting the barest of descriptions.

Oh, well.

I do have to say of the few times I've been in there, it's been one of the most polite chatrooms I've been in.

The OP spammed his thread across no fewer than ten different forums. Given that this happened during business hours, several moderators needed to interrupt their work day to remove the spam and the foul language quoted from IRC, coming both from the OP and from another channel participant. Speed was of the essence.

While it's fine to talk about the chat channel since it's part of the geocaching community, this is not the place to air specific concerns and analyze chat logs for profanity and other etiquette violations. Please do that in the #geocache channel or by writing to ClayJar.

I just wanted to make you all aware of the people that are in the IRC channel #geocache on irc.slashnet.org, I came into this room for the first time with my two kids watching as well, as they are also into Geocaching

As you can see I had my name changed because it was already taken, so upon changing my name I receive the message you see below, I jokingly responded with one of the built in responders in my IRC client to be greeted by this imbecile and his barrage of abuse.

I just wanted to make anyone aware that is thinking of going in there or allowing their kids in there to stay well away, it’s the certain few that spoil it for the rest.

I've only been something of a frequent visitor in the #geocache IRC channel for a couple of years, but I'm always amazed by the number of virgin IRC users who show up there and immediately offend everyone in the room.

It's very true that it’s the certain few that spoil it for the rest of us.

Quite honestly, I'd rather any one of my children see one person tell another they were being a ******* ******* when they were being a ******* ******* than try to explain, exactly, why a person no one knew came into the room and immediatly started to "pimp slap" someone we know rather well, and happen to quite like.

It is also unfortunate a person expects a warm welcome when they enter a room and start to troll.

I'd also be willing to bet that somewhere in the forum guidelines which are applicable for people posting to these forums it says, "Treat others with respect." Somehow I doubt that includes calling another person an 'imbecile'.

-=-

I'm still a little chapped Auntie Weasel wasn't sharing her adult beverages last night. Talk about a n00b.

I dropped in on chat for the first time last night, as result of this dustup. Nobody slapped me around or nothing. It was all very friendly.

I was so disappointed.

Darn. If you would have been there when I got in I would have been happy to throw an admin brick at you as a welcoming gift. I'll remember that if I see ya'! :anicute:

Most people who are there know good and well that ClayJar does not like profanity and conduct of this sort in his chat sessions. I don't like it when I see it either because I know there are kids in there. I was actually amazed by both actions -- both the troll and the profanity spewed their way by a regular user. During the "official" chat on Monday we do try to keep it clean for the benefit of all (I help ClayJar moderate the chat with a few others). At other times if you feel offended, as ClayJar said, let him know. I've enjoyed my time in there and it is really neat to chat in real time with people from around the world.

Like I said...

TotemLake Posted: Nov 17 2005, 02:14 PM 

... some people just don't know how to enter an irc room without starting trouble. 

And that was the case here. He came in, started some trouble and went complaining when it was given back at him in spades. Granted, the response was a bit overboard, but come on... pimp slapping someone you don't know without knowing the mood of the room first? That's just asking for trouble from the get go.

As noted on the link that takes you from the Groundspeak Forums to the ClayJar Chat Channel on IRC #geocache, this service is not sponsored by Groundspeak. Please address your complaint to ClayJar, who manages the channel.

The material is equally offensive when posted into the Groundspeak Forums, so I've removed it. Content posted here is governed by the Forum Guidelines linked at the top left corner of every page. ClayJar would be able to speak to any guidelines which might govern the #geocache channel.

Thanks.

I have written scripts for IRC chat clients such as MIRC It's easy to setup a IRC bot to help moderate the channel to some extent. If he needs help I am always willing to help since I have run Irc chatnetworks in the past.

Granted, the response was a bit overboard, but come on... **** slapping someone you don't know without knowing the mood of the room first? That's just asking for trouble from the get go.

I made a comment on one of the duplicate threads that got lost in the "move."

Since it was appalling and offensive in the irc room, why is it less so here?

In my opinion, we do not need to regurgitate the details.

I have to apologize. As the designated chat Mom I was not on hand to take the offenders over my knee. I probably would have called upon CJ to come and look. Mostly we are a fun loving bunch of people. I've been signed on to the chat since I got cable hooked up to my computer and there have been relatively few episodes of this nature. TJWilson was probably the worst case scenario. Since I've been in the chat I have met more cachers from out of state than I ever would have met otherwise, and I mean I've met them in person. I cached with CalyJar, Hydee, Rothsafari, sr&dboggny, mtn-man, Ttepee, & IVWarrior all in one day on Long Island, and we set that up in the chat room. I had to take my mom to the Mayo Clinic in FL, and I cached my way down to FL, hitting every state along the way. Pyewacket invited me to stay with her in SC because we met in chat. We'd never met in person and when she opened that front door we hugged :rolleyes: I went to an event in Maine just so I could meet brdad in person. I enjoyed it so much I went to another one too on short notice. I first met dboggny because I mentioned I had a travel bug that wanted to go to FL and we arranged to meet at a cache halfway between his home and mine. I came this close to meeting the Alabama Rambler on that trip and finally did meet up with him and ladebear68 in MA this last summer. I had Mopar all set up to paddle over to Selden Neck with a friend of mine, and when she bailed out he ended up paddling with GeoHo instead and the rest is history there! I went caching with carterman once on his lunch hour, for fun. So what I'm trying to say is more good comes from that chat room for me than harm. No Planets have ever been hurt in this chat room. Of course you should be careful when dealing with anything out there, but it's really pretty tame. We might have a pain or two, but they are our pains and we try to keep them housebroken.

Granted, the response was a bit overboard, but come on... **** slapping someone you don't know without knowing the mood of the room first? That's just asking for trouble from the get go.

I made a comment on one of the duplicate threads that got lost in the "move."

Since it was appalling and offensive in the irc room, why is it less so here?

In my opinion, we do not need to regurgitate the details.

You're nit picking considering the details already spelled out in this thread. JMHO :rolleyes:

In this case, the word was used as an adjective and not as an offensive action against someone. As repugnant as the action is there is a significant difference between just slapping a woman around and pimp slapping as pimp slapping also signifies a certain stature and pecking order which in itself is repugnant.

It was not just simple regurgitation.

Edited by TotemLake

I can see how you could interpret that it is "nit-picking" since I chose only to quote your remark.

Yet, it was not my intent to single you out, rather, I was pointing out one of the many incidents where the details are, in my opinion, inappropriate for a "youngster friendly" environment, whether that environment be a chat room or forum designated for geocachers. I think the topic is certainly worthy of discussion, yet this topic could be easily discussed without the specific details. It also relates to the OP, since if it was disgusting and apalling in irc, it is equally disgusting and apalling here. "Physician, heal thyself."

If you took the quote of your original post personally, I apologize. " :rolleyes: "

Edit: Some would probably find either action repugnant and distasteful, regardless of the "degree."

Edited by Jeep_Dog
I can see how you could see that it is "nit-picking" since I chose only to quote your remark.

Yet, it was not my intent to single you out, rather, I was pointing out one of the many incidents where the details are, in my opinion, inappropriate for a "youngster friendly" environment, whether that environment be a chat room or forum designated for geocachers. I think the topic is certainly worthy of discussion, yet this topic could be easily discussed without the specific details. It also relates to the OP, since if it was disgusting and apalling in irc, it is equally disgusting and apalling here. "Physician, heal thyself."

If you took the quote of your original post personally, I apologize. " :rolleyes: "

Edit: Some would probably find either action repugnant and distasteful, regardless of the "degree."

Some would probably find either action repugnant and distasteful, regardless of the "degree."

No argument there. Just merely making a distinction.

No matter the action that preceded this thread, if one is going to take an aggressive stance in an IRC without first knowing who the participants are and second without knowing the mood of the room, you're asking for trouble. To come here and whine about being picked on when they first started the incident is merely asking for trouble as well.

The problem that tends to sidetrack the thread is when folks start focusing on the language rather than the activity.

As for singling out my quote, well that was unfortunate. You didn't realize I'd stand up and defend my statement as I tend to do. No harm no foul. :ph34r:

It also relates to the OP, since if it was disgusting and apalling in irc, it is equally disgusting and apalling here.  "Physician, heal thyself."

Jeep Dog...

I agree.

"Look what he said! It's baaaaaaad bad bad. It's so evil over there!"

It's kind of like a 3 year old repeating a word you don't want them to say because it gets a great reaction out of mom and dad.

"Pooooooooooooooooooooooop"

Hey kid. Don't say that!

"Pooooooooooooooooooooppy! Poopy! Poopy butts!"

Hey kid!

And on and on it goes.

/me rolls her eyes.

What really IRCs me about the chatroom is, everybody there seems so much smarter than me;

when that ClayJar dude shows up, I just feel inadequate.  :)  :)

You don't feel that way here too?

:):ph34r::):):rolleyes::)

(It is a JOKE! Just a joke, and only a joke, but funny all the same. I could not resist.)

There are always two sides.

Perhaps spending time to reflect on your own actions and how you might have avoided this kind of confrontation and prevent it from happening in the future would be the place to start.

Don't post this kind of garbage all over the place. That is what little kids do. It also means a lot of other people get involved and it takes that much longer to die down.

Let it go son. Learn from your mistakes and move on. This allows everyone else todo the same.

Suggestion: When I am in a forum where the conversation makes me uncomfortable - I leave. I am not a jerk on my way out, I just leave. That is what you could have done too.