Google Earth Waypoints Move

Geo Devils

If you are using the "Geocache browser in Google Earth" from the geocaching.com, then this makes sense because the coordinates are randomly made inaccurate because of Jeremy's paranoia that someone might save the coords as a kml file and upload into their gps, or otherwise use GE instead of pocket queries (thus circumventing the premium membership).

If you have the data as a gpx file, you can drop that into Google Earth and the waypoints will be plotted. In my experience, these are in the correct location with respect to the map overlay (many of the aerial photos are shifted a bit). I don't have the paid version of GE, so I can't say anything about creating tracks.

Even with the Free version, you can load a GPX file into Google Earth using File, Open, and then selecting GPX as the file type.

Since that is the only way I can load track, route, and icon data into google earth, there is essentially no difference between the paid and free version of Google Earth.

Regards,

---- Robb ----

I wish they would fix this. At least for premium members. It's really annoying. I paid the small fee, so it should work for me at least. It's just convient to use GE for plotting sometimes and having the points move is just stupid.

Just another case of copy protection making life difficult for paying customers.