Oldest Virgin

perdix

I wonder what the longest time is that a cache has remained unfound. Here in the EC we have GC76AFwhich was placed on 7/11/2002 and is yet to be found.

That is more than 3 years!!! This is enough to make it the oldest virgin cache in SA. Now that makes for quite a temptation for all FTFders, myself included.

I go to King Williams Town from time to time for work. Can one get to the nearest parking with a rental car (normally a Hyunday GETZ or anything that resembles a pram)?

I might just consider staying into the weekend to hunt this one down.

Edited by adamant

This cache is still lying in wait. I actually drove to the starting point (houses mentioned in the cache description), but saw that it would probably take at least 90 - 120 minutes to get to the cache - still had more than 700m to go from here - uphill.

We were on our way back to PE from Hogsback and there was no way that my baby daughter would be able to accompany us on this climb, so alas it still remains to be found.

This cache has now changed in my estimation from a tantalising temptation to a stone in my shoe. I simply have to find it!

Due to the fact that the area is relatively remote and that when next I attempt it, I will not bring my daughter or wife along, I was wondering if there are any other cachers who would like to attempt this one with me.

The way I see it, one needs to stay nearby and then make your way to the cache site as early as possible. Wives, husbands, kids, pets, etc who will not join in the search can then stay at the overnight digs, while the searchers go to find it. It is not the type of place where I would want to go cache hunting alone, as it is quite rural and help, should one need it, is quite far away.

The cache owners logged a hint, but it will only be usefull once you get close to the cache and so far, only Seeker 2 got anywhere close.

This cache is almost a national treasure, being there for so long.

Remember:

Ask not what geocaching can do for you, ask what you can do for geocaching.

Fortune favours the brave.

Who dares, wins,

Ra, ra, ra and all that.

Now that you are suffuciently motivated, any takers? I have thus far earmarked this cache for the long weekend of 16 June.

<snip>

Now that you are suffuciently motivated, any takers? I have thus far earmarked this cache for the long weekend of 16 June.

<snip>

Why not create an Event to have a joint hunt to the cache. That way, if the whole expedition turns out to be a DNF, well...at least everyone would have scored one cache and had a blast attempting to deflower...... ahem...well find the countries oldest virgin.

That's a good idea GlobalRat, I'm just testing the waters, in the forums to see if anybody would be interested.

Wolkynou and I are also chatting to try and set up another event in the EC in April / May - so two in these parts, might be too much to ask?

Edited by perdix

This cache has me 'tickled' too.

I have some voyager miles about to expire - this cache might put them to good use. I can fly to E.L and meet up with the brave hunters...

Give me some dates - I am away from Cape Town in March / April / May for various work reasons..

Give me some dates - I am away from Cape Town in March / April / May for various work reasons..

The date that Wolkynou and I are suggesting for an event cache is the long weekend at the end of April (Thursday 27th is a public holiday and so is Monday 1 May), which gives a nice loooong weekend and plenty of time for people to travel to and from the EC. This will be first prize.

The other date is as I mentioned above (16 June).

We will post an event cache as soon as a date and venue has been agreed upon.

Thanks for expressing your interest Adamant! Which date would suit you - we will try and accomodate requests.

I could make an excuse and tell the non-geocacher that we need to visit her father in Port Elizabeth. Then I could sneak over to that area and join up with you folks on the great expedition. Just need some time to plan my devious methods for convincing her that we need to visit "la virgen de GC76AF" or the in-laws. :laughing:

Hi Perdix. Set up the event cache for any of those dates. I can however only give a 'tentative' yes for now thanks to my pimp (manager) selling me off to customers.

I am working on this. One day I will be free :P . Yeah right...

I know you stay in PE, but can you recommend somewhere reasonable to stay in EL? I need to figure out the logistics of S&T

Hi Bosveldklong,

There was always going to be the risk of somebody finding the cache before a team effort could be organised, so if you would like to attempt it then feel free to do so..... It would, however be nice to attempt this elusive cache as a team and it would give us an excuse to meet up, so please consider this (team) option.

I will be posting an event cache soon, waiting for suggestions for dates. So far only 2 options: weekend of 27 - 1 May and weekend of 16 - 18 June. Personally, I can also make 14 - 17 April, but Wolkynou has other commitments that weekend.

Hi,

I've logged an event cache for 29 April, which should be published shortly. The venue for the event cache is Hogsback and we will attempt "Fort Cox Ecology" the next morning.

There are a couple of reasons I chose Hogsback:

It has plenty of accomodation, B&Bs etc, most of which quiet affordable,

It is the closest place to the cache that offers this,

The cache is quiet remote and I thought an overnight would be required.

Those not attending the event cache, can still meet those that do, the next morning at the cache site, to attempt to it with the rest of the team.

Hope to see you all there!

Update:

Sadly the event cache will not be published shortly, as the approver noted from the guidelines:

"In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list. "

I will therefore continue to post updates here, until I have a webpage set-up - sometime over the weekend hopefully. I can confirm that it will be over the long weekend at the end of April though.

Perdix,

Why not log an event cache for the sake of it being an Eastern Cape Event. The fact that you are going caching together the next day should not matter to the cache moderator.

Set up the event cache for the merriment that is to occur on the 29th. This way people will have a reason to come to the EC (for the event of course) and then the one that stay for Sunday can grab the oldest virgin.

-Use it, don’t use it…

A conference on the Geocaches of the Eastern Cape, esp Border area, at the end of April is a good idea.

I looked at Fox Cox a couple of times, but due to the long walking distance, I have not done it (I am more suited to water).

Someone may beat everyone to it, but the Hogsback idea is brilliant!

What is to stop doing a combined truely magnificent multicache throughout the whole region?

Be glad to get more news about this, but probaly could only make from Saturday onwards.

Right.

I followed GlobalRat and QFC's advice and set up an event cache (2nd time lucky). This has now been published on geocaching.com Please post a note if you can make it. The event cache is obviously open to cachers from all over (hint-hint Vespa, Adamant, Anlafu and the rest of you guys & girls).

I think it will be a great week-end to do all the caches in the region. A combined team effort to find them can certainly be arranged.

Once we know who will be attending a schedule of sorts can be agreed to. Personally I have found some, but there is still at least 2 that I'd like to bag.

Hope to see you there!

Curses #$%^&* and other ugly thoughts. :laughing:

I cannot make this one - I am off to Disney in Paris that week for a corporate kick-off event. This is the second time I miss such a get together because of work travel. Well - I suppose beer and disney rides have to make op for this. :rolleyes: . Have fun everyone.

Pitty H, would have been good to have WC reps there!

2 things happening on the weekend 29 -30th, but there has not been definate attendance responses.

1.) Event Cache 29/4. Can I ask that those planning to attend the event cache to either post a note here or on the event cache page? Note that accomodation in Hogsback is filling up rapidly, so much so that we could not get digs at the place we initially planned on.

2.) Organised team hunt for "Fort Cox Ecology" on morning of 30th. Can I ask that those planning to join to post a note here?

Cheers

Edited by perdix

This cache is still lying in wait. I actually drove to the starting point (houses mentioned in the cache description), but saw that it would probably take at least 90 - 120 minutes to get to the cache - still had more than 700m to go from here - uphill.

We were on our way back to PE from Hogsback and there was no way that my baby daughter would be able to accompany us on this climb, so alas it still remains to be found.

This cache has now changed in my estimation from a tantalising temptation to a stone in my shoe. I simply have to find it!

Due to the fact that the area is relatively remote and that when next I attempt it, I will not bring my daughter or wife along, I was wondering if there are any other cachers who would like to attempt this one with me.

The way I see it, one needs to stay nearby and then make your way to the cache site as early as possible. Wives, husbands, kids, pets, etc who will not join in the search can then stay at the overnight digs, while the searchers go to find it. It is not the type of place where I would want to go cache hunting alone, as it is quite rural and help, should one need it, is quite far away.

The cache owners logged a hint, but it will only be usefull once you get close to the cache and so far, only Seeker 2 got anywhere close

This cache is almost a national treasure, being there for so long.

Remember:

Ask not what geocaching can do for you, ask what you can do for geocaching.

Fortune favours the brave.

Who dares, wins,

Ra, ra, ra and all that.

Hey perdix,

Also got very close on the way back from Hogsback, decided we didn't feel like climbing the hill :lol:

I went to Fort Cox AGAIN on Saturday and was more successful than last time. I actually got to within 3 metres of the cache and after searching about an hour I still could not find it. I saw a bees nest (hive) in a crevice where I think the cache could be hidden and as I am allergic to bees I left it alone. I do not know if there will be a 4th time unless I can be persuaded......

Things to pack:

Hiking boots - check

hat - check

energy bar - check

water bottle - check

gps - check

camera - check

machette - check

bee suite - huh?? <_<

Yet another hurdle :)

Anybody know how to chase the bees away for an hour or two?

Nobody as yet joining me, but I'm sure this last bit of news (bees) has stirred that spirit of adventure in all of you....what with a long, steap hike, far away from medical help, no cellphone reception to a cache that has never been found - as a prospect you'd be silly not to want to join in the (ahem) fun!

Looks like the event cache is going to be a bit of a non-event too :)

There was the possibility that I would end up in PE over the weekend, but the wife decided to go it alone (uh, or I decided to stay away <_< ). Sorry Perdix.

I would like to meet up with some EC cachers at some point. I think a second EC event should be organized at some point.

<_< Doesn't look like we're gonna make either. Sorry Perdix. The dog agility trail is on Saturday and Sunday and we have practised far to much. My little dog stands a pretty good chance of bringing home some gold!But if something happens........ like rain........

BTW, You could try smoking the bees. Makes them sleepy and less aggresive.

Another thought. We could try and organize an event down in George?!

Life is a beach, then a tsunami hits you.

After waiting for a reply on my GPS, I phoned to discover it had not been collected from the PO.

So, there is no way I can be GPS clad by the weekend.

Probably just as well as my locum is being iffy!!! So may end up working this weekend.

Very sorry about not being able to join you Perdix.

Have a gas, and defeat the dreaded Ft Cox (& buzzies!!).

:D:)

Well, I went all determined, but the weather did not want to play along - see my note on the cache page. It was quite a let down, as my trip was planned with this goal in mind. I did manage to find some nice caches on the way though.

Let me know for sure, when you are in this neck of the woods.

Hi Perdix,

Sorry you did not make it.

Maybe I should have gone to Hogsback this Weekend, then I would not have done acrobatics on the steps!

One grawnched ankle later, I am making like Long John Silver.

Fort Cox is now an obsession.

Hopefully my new Garmin GPS 60CSX will arrive soon. (Bye bye Legend!) and ankle will be back to semi normal.

:unsure:;)

Edited by coelacanth

Well, I went all determined, but the weather did not want to play along - see my note on the cache page. It was quite a let down, as my trip was planned with this goal in mind. I did manage to find some nice caches on the way though.

Let me know for sure, when you are in this neck of the woods.

Hey, have been watching this and have been waiting in anticipation for you to find! Sorry Perdix, maybe next time!? :)

I just whipped out a topographic map to have a look at this caches location. That’s a pretty stiff walk, looking at a 1:2 ascent for most of the walk it seems… tiring stuff.

So did any of you intrepid wanderers take any photo’s of the area? I’m sure getting curious.

Bees.... a cuban smoked furiously works well.

I, sadly, didn't take any photos - it was raining to much.

Indeed it does seem quite a walk - Seeker2 and the cache placers being the only ones having done it so far.

Where can one find a cuban willing to be smoked on the hill :) ? I thought they all went back to Cuba or are in health services?

Are you planning a trip GR!?