Possible Trip Through Nd, Sd, And Omaha, Ne.

DavidMac

I have a little time off around December 14-20 and would like to try to check off a few of the states I haven't cached in yet. I would have liked the weather to be a little warmer but I'll take any opportunity I can get. :drama:

The tentative itinerary, weather permitting, takes us by car from Minneapolis to Fargo, ND and down into South Dakota along I-29 before heading east back to MSP. From there, we plan to fly to Omaha, NE, spend a few hours on the ground, then fly back home to TN later that evening. If driving conditions look bad, we'll scrap part 1 of the trip and just try to hit Nebraska.

Does caching pretty much grind to a halt during winter or are there any must-do caches that are accessible in the snow along I-94 (in MN) or 29? I'd also like to try to find a few quick caches that can be reached from the Omaha airport (is there a bus system or a better way to get around town?) with enough time to get back for our return flight.

Any advice, recommendations of caches, or concerns are appreciated. I haven't done any winter driving in this part of the country so I'm not sure what to expect (I do remember how cold :lol: the winters get, though, having lived in MN when I was really young).

From the Omaha airport there are 8 caches that are pretty close, quick and easy if you are pressed for time.

GCP9R1,GCKFC8, GCQADQ, GCQ7CV, GCGF1H, GCCA9B, GCQADY, GCR4NN

All but one (GCQADY) are park and grabs. Even that one is a quick one. One is also in Iowa. (strange border issues) These could easily be done in an hour or two. Not sure about the bus ride. I don't know how they run.

If you are inclined to grab a meal or tasty beverage, I would say grab a cab to Rick's Boatyard Cafe, the food's good and it's relatively close to airport and there are 3 micros and a virt within 10 minute walk two different ways from the restaurant.

If you don't want to grab a cab you could run across the street from the airport to GCQ7CV. It would be a little walk but not much. Then down from it is GCKFC8. These are your best bets on foot.

You can contact me through here if you have any questions. I'd be glad to help you out.

The Nebraska (and Iowa) caches have been pointed out. I have no clue on busses in the Omaha area, but near the airport, I say don't count on it. You could likely get a cab to get you to a couple drive up close ones though. When will you be in Omaha? If I am free, I would be happy to come pick you up, take you to some caches, and drop you off again. But the timing there may or may not work for me. I might also be able to find another in the area who would happily do so. Email me if interested and I will see. :lol:

Thanks for the offer; I'll be in touch. If it doesn't work out, though, I've found it can sometimes cheaper to just rent a car for the afternoon, rather than a cab, but it depends on the area and how much driving is needed. Glad to see that there are some doable caches closeby. Depending on flight loads we may have most of the day to see what the area has to offer (We fly standby, so if the loads look full we'd want to try to take an earlier flight out. The advantage is that we're flexible). Right now it looks like there's an 80% chance that the trip is on; We'd be arriving at MSP Dec. 15 or 17 and plan to fly from there to OMA on either the 17th or 19th.

Slight change of plans... I'll be stopping by the Omaha airport on the 10th (Saturday), probably renting a car, and staying overnight before flying out the following morning. I'll be alone on that trip. Good thing is I'll have more time to hit up some caches farther away from town. Then my brother and I will fly to MSP sometime the next week to visit ND, SD, and WI. I'll check all those states off one way or another... :unsure:

Well dang. I won't be in town. :unsure: If staying overnight, you could conceivably drive down and grab Missouri and Kansas too. It is about a 1.5 hour drive each way to get those.

They're already checked off my list :lol: , but if there's a not-to-be-missed cache or two in that direction, I'd definitely make several hour's drive to visit them.

BTW, here's a shameless opportunity for me to show off the map of states I've cached in. :unsure: The orange (visited) and grey ones are all I have left. I hope to get NE, ND, SD, and WI over the next three weeks. Then, sometime in January or March, hopefully I'll make a trip to NV with my brother. He lives in KY, so next time I go to see him we plan to make a trip up to Toronto by car and will finish that part of the country as well as one more Canadian province. May is Woodstock month, when we plan to make a massive 10-day roadtrip from MS to NM, and finish up all the states. From there…

map_state.gif

Well dang. I won't be in town. :lol: If staying overnight, you could conceivably drive down and grab Missouri and Kansas too. It is about a 1.5 hour drive each way to get those.

They're already checked off my list :unsure: , but if there's a not-to-be-missed cache or two in that direction, I'd definitely make several hour's drive to visit them.

There are some nice caches that direction, but I don't know about can't miss ones. There are some very nice caches in the Loess hills in Iowa north of Omaha. If you go east 20 miles or so, Schramm State Park and Platte River State Park have some nice caches. Schramm has a bunch, so you can get them all in one hiking trip through the park. Both areas give some nice Platte River views. The cache at the National Trails Museum just over the river in Iowa is another good one in part because the area is interesting and also because it is one of those few caches on NPS property with specific permission.

Well, the trip is on. :blink: I'll be flying in this Saturday morning, renting a car (found a deal on one that I oculdn't pass up) and caching like crazy through NE, IA, and KS for 24 hours fueled by caffeine and plenty of AA batteries before arriving back at the airport the next morning for the return flight. Sleep? Who needs sleep? That's for the return flight! ;)

The cache at the National Trails Museum just over the river in Iowa is another good one in part because the area is interesting and also because it is one of those few caches on NPS property with specific permission.

Are you referring to the Homesteader cache? Or is there another one on NPS land nearby also? That one's been on my watchlist for quite a while now.

Hopefully the weather will warm up by the time I arrive. I hear it's been a little chilly this week ;)

no homesteader is in a national monument area near beatrice, I think the national trail museum carleenp is refering to is in Council bluffs, iowa. welcom to nebraska huskerrich

Ah, cool, I found it. I read the description and missed the NPS part. If I have time I'll see if I can swing by there, but I'll see where I end up. Thanks everybody for the info.