Cemeteries & Geocaching

Hi everyone! I've seen several caches that are in cemeteries (been to at least 3 of them myself), but when I wanted to set up a cemetery cache of my own, it wasn't allowed. :lol: So my question to all of you is...is it ok or not? Why would others be allowed when mine wasn't (told that cemeteries are private property). Maybe I'm just opening a can of worms for everyone, including myself (don't want to be denied for a few great cemetery spots that I'm thinking of). :drama: Thanks in advance for all your thoughts on this!

~~Tarrytown Horsemen~~

Edited by Tarrytown Horsemen

Welcome back to geocaching again. I see it has been quite a while since you have hidden or found a cache. A lot has happened.

The state of South Carolina has been in the process of banning caches in cemeteries and historical areas because of some problems with cemetery caches. There has been a long running discussion about it this year. Since you are supposed to ask for permission to place any cache, we have been trying to make sure that all cachers are doing this in cemeteries. We ask you directly if you have done that.

If you have permission there is no problem. If you don't, depending on the state, it may not get listed without permission.

Since you are supposed to ask for permission to place any cache, we have been trying to make sure that all cachers are doing this in cemeteries. We ask you directly if you have done that.

If you have permission there is no problem. If you don't, depending on the state, it may not get listed without permission.

OK...now I'm really confused! :drama:

"Permission to place any cache"? Even in parks, hiking trails, etc? We have a lot around here that don't have anyone in an onsite office, etc. I wouldn't know where to begin to find someone to ask permission in 99% of these types of places. Cemeteries, yes, since there is an office in the larger/newer ones.

I need to find a listing of the new (to us) Geocaching rules/regs. Oh boy.........sigh......a lot really HAS changed, hasn't it? :lol:

~~Tarrytown Horsemen~~

Okie-dokie...guidelines, etc are printing out so that I can read them at my leisure & absorb it all. :drama:

One question, while it's all printing out...& probably covered there...who exactly do you ask at parks that have no office, no contact person/phone # on signs, etc. Again, easy enough to do at 99% of cemeteries, since they will usually have an office, but MOST parks/hiking trails don't even have a "guard booth" or "parking fee attendant" (for lack of better terms) near the entrance of the park (or anywhere else in the park for that matter)...at least not in my part of southern NY. How would you go about contacting someone? Who would you even begin with? :drama:

I'm not trying to be a pest...just really, really, really confused! I want to be able to play fair, so that any future caches that we hide get approval & are out there for others to enjoy. Thanks again!

~~Tarrytown Horsemen~~ :lol:

I think SixDog Team would be the one to ask... he's in charge of the ISQ (Indiana Spirit Quest) which places caches in historic, rural cemeteries with an emphasis on veterans of all wars.  He might only know about Indiana, but he seems pretty informed on the topic.

I thought Rupert2 was the team leader on those ISQ caches. BTW, they are all very tastefully and thoughtfully presented. :lol::drama:

Another idea might be to start a relationship with your local cemetery association -- yes, there is such a thing.

Just this past Saturday, I organized a CITO event to help clean up the historic cemetery in Downtown Nashville. We raked leaves from the fenced off gravesites, dusted cut grass off tombstones, picked up sticks the mowers would not be able to mow over, etc. Landscaping for the cemetery is actually provided by the local metro parks (which has a great relationship with geocachers).

The cemetery association was extremely grateful -- they even joked at the end that if they hid caches under piles of leaves in the cemetery would that provide incentive for us to assist them in the future!! The local news even came out and filmed our group cleaning the cemetery and showed some members finding one of the caches in the cemetery.

Edited by LSUMonica

I agree, I have had great success in stating my interest in helping keep the cemetery clean before I ask about placement. In many counties, the older(not used for current burials) cemeteries are taken care of by the township they are in, and most of the time, those people want all the help they can get. Our family was even placed in charge of an old cemetery because no-one else wanted to mow the grass or pick up the trash. It's just like anywhere else, dont abuse/destroy anything, keep it clean, and you will still have people who think that their way of thinking is gospel. Personally, I'd like a benchmark on my headstone so many people will visit after I'm gone. LOL

The state of South Carolina has been in the process of banning caches in cemeteries and historical areas because of some problems with cemetery caches.

Let me make a gentle correction to this statement.

There was no problem with caches in cemeteries. None of the actions claimed by the proponents of H3777 actually happened. Much of the "evidence" was gathered from sources outside the state. Some of it was complete falsehoods.

The only legitimate issue was one of trespassing and that is not a cemetery issue, but an enforcement issue because it can happen on any posted land.

Additionally, cemeteries are only the "hotbutton" areas, but the land mass occupied is a drop in the bucket comparied to the other listed areas.

Please stop believing and spreading the propoganda of the proponents of H3777.

A more correct statement would be cemetery caches are the targets of political resume padding and thusly a sensitive subject at this time. We still have to mind our Ps and Qs, but issue arguments used to further H3777 are without merit.

There are some beautiful cemetaries in my area, but I don't feel right placing a physical cache there (not saying it's wrong, just that I don't do it), so I bring cachers to the cemetary with a virtual stage of a multi-stage cache, and just have them find out something at the cemetary before moving on.

jamie

There are some beautiful cemetaries in my area, but I don't feel right placing a physical cache there (not saying it's wrong, just that I don't do it), so I bring cachers to the cemetary with a virtual stage of a multi-stage cache, and just have them find out something at the cemetary before moving on.

jamie

The vast majority of the caches that started all of the SC bruhaha weren't even in the cemteries. I'm trying to think of one, but can't at the moment.

From running through my mind all of the ones I can remember, the cache was either well out into the woods or right on the edge. On wait, there was one that was placed at the base of a bush, but the nearest grave was some distance away.

I'm not saying that we haven't found any caches within the cemetery itself, we have, but the proponents of H3777 don't want even virtual stages either. They simply don't want us there at all.

I think SixDog Team would be the one to ask... he's in charge of the ISQ (Indiana Spirit Quest) which places caches in historic, rural cemeteries with an emphasis on veterans of all wars.  He might only know about Indiana, but he seems pretty informed on the topic.

I thought Rupert2 was the team leader on those ISQ caches. BTW, they are all very tastefully and thoughtfully presented. :P:o

Hey Sept1c_Tank!

Love that wine!

I am flattered by your comments on the ISQ. I do want to point out that SixDogTeam is the “Lead Dog” for the ISQ. You probably know my name better because my hides are centered around the Indianapolis area and we live about 3 miles apart.

Since SixDogTeam is not the bragging type, I will be forced to brag on him a little. SixDogTeam is the founder of the ISQ which was centered in northeastern Indiana up until a little over a year ago (my how time flies)? We are now approaching (may we have exceeded by now) 400 cemetery hides located statewide.

Our local approver has been WONDERFUL about communicating with us as to exactly what is expected of us with respect to cemetery specific caches. In addition SixDogTeam has established his own set of guidelines specific to the ISQ that are far above and beyond standard approval expectations. His guidelines not only address placement, but page format, content standards, and research guidelines. His standards further encourage CITO, request that fallen flags be up-righted / disposed of in a respectful and appropriate manner and prohibits night caching (enforced by deletion of find logs).

The bottom line is that these caches have a purpose beyond finding the hidden container. The ISQ will often honor a long forgotten hero, tell the story of our more colorful pioneers, point out a site in need of attentionor just take you to a pretty place. Just throwing a film canister out in a cemetery does not do a whole lot. If we can start thinking like SixDogTeam, suddenly we are providing some informational/historical insight, cleaning up some beer cans (who are these people who go to cemeteries to drink beer anyways?), up righting some flags, in all adding some tangible and intrinsic value to the property while pursuing those smiley faces.

Obviously I am very proud to be a part of the ISQ team. I hope that other might follow SixDogTeam’s lead on this one. Cemetery caches can become an asset to the geocaching community instead of a perceived liability that is currently out there.

To get back to the point of this thread, of my 81 current hides 78 of those are ISQ caches (located in cemeteries). To date I have NOT been required to seek permission to hide any of those (laws and administrative rules will vary state to state and county to county and even site to site). I do currently have one ISQ pending DNR permit approval because it is located within a State Recreational Area and is located very close to State Historic Resources. I am beginning work on a new cemetery cache that will require permission (I anticipate it will be a long and hard “sale”, but well worth it if successful). The lack of coordination between state legislation and management by township trustees has provided us with a fairly open environment in which to place caches in cemeteries. Keep in mind that most of the ISQ hides are in so called abandoned cemeteries that are managed by the township trustees. Again, our local approver has gone out of his way to communicate with us and has been wonderful to work with. Thanks MC!