Why Does Kanji Not Display In Cache Headings?

Geofellas

And while your at it could you fix my profile page Kanji works in my forum signature but I only get ? on my profile page ;)

You have to use a font that has Japanese characters to see it. The problem is whether the site is allowing HTML or not. In the fields that allow HTML (e.g., cache description) you can use HTML entities to represent unicode characters. In other fields the site will quote & and other special HTML characters so that they display correctly. Also the site uses UTF-8 encoding, it may be losing some of multi-byte characters. I haven't really spent a lot of time investigating if there is a way to enter kanji in cache names (or in my profile).

Edited by tozainamboku
Looks like you aren't using a standard font. I see 3 identical boxes in your post, the codes on the cache page aren't all the same.

Not sure what you are saying here - in my post actually I deliberately modified the escaped characters when quoting the title (by adding a spurious space) because the forum software seems to be smart enough to convert to Kanji and render correctly. If you are seeing just boxes then you probably don't have the Japanese character set installed on your computer.

Anyway this is really a question for Jeremy and the programmers - they decide on the font when they render the web page. It is not me who "uses" the font - it is the web page produced by gc.com.

Thanks

Doesn't seem like it's so much a font issue, but some double-escaping going on with the characters in the heading where it isn't happening with the description. With HTML allowed in the description but likely not the header, that could explain it if you're entering HTML entities to get the Kanji characters in both places or if the cache submission form is doing that conversion.

This is a well known issue among cachers in Japan. For whatever reason, the site does not allow parsing of Unicode characters (they are multi-byte as 東西南北 mentioned) on the title of the cache's page, while the parsing happens correctly when looking at "nearest caches" list.

Also note that Unicode appears correctly on the rest of the cache page, so it's unlikely to be font or browser issue.

Edited by budd-rdc