Indoor Benchmarks

rescue557

How about a bench mark on top of a building? Is there any of those?

There are scads of horizontal control marks on roofs of buildings. When I seacrh for them I usually log them only if the building is gone. Then I log it as "destroyed" on GC (see KU3038 "WASHBURN 1932") or "not found, presumed destroyed" in NGS (followed by an email with pictures or other documentation) to Deb. If the building is there, I don't bother to log it. in this day and age I have little chance of being allowed on the roof of the building.

In addition there are intersection stations (flag poles, cupulas, etc. on top of buildings) which are probably not what you meant.

Papa Bear

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC
It is unusual.  Maybe 1 in 300.

I would guess the proportion is a bit higher higher in cities like New York. A quick check for Manhattan which I have on a spread sheet shows about 1:100.

I got these: (there may be more)

KU3600

KU3934

KU4038

KU3585

KU4002

KU4005

KU4012

KU3911

KU3912

KU3993

KU4008

KU3972

KV4394

KV4395

KV4449

KV4373

KV4375

KU3928

KU0871

KU3958

KU3933

KU3913

KU4029

Check out KU4029 It'sa chiseled cross on a balcony of a high school. I'm used to seeing chiseled crosses (and squares and "T"s) as bench marks (elevation control points) not horizontal control points up on top of a building. Cool.

I have no idea if it's still there. I'm working my way through Manhattan (about half done) but I haven't got up there yet.

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC