StripeMark

Just checking........

Would AA4266 monumented by the Missouri Highway Comission

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=AA4266

and AA7390 monumented by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=AA7390

be referencing the same survey marker?

Same disc with 2 different PID's?

Also, on AA4266, what does it mean by "100 FEET (30.5 M) RIGHT OF STATION 265+60."?

First of all, right??? east or west, north or south? I measured out 100 feet on a tape measure from the disc on the headwall and found nothing east or west of it.

Any idea what STATION 265+60 would be referencing?

Thanks!

-Stripe

My opinions...

Clerical error-the disk was set in 1990 and entered and then recovered by a different department a year later. One difference is that the 1991 recovery says that it is suitable for satellite observations.

Station 265+60 is either a highway mile marker, or, more likely, a PK nail or other temporary survey marker used in the construction or rebuilding of the roadway. You will often see this kind of mark painted on a road surface to mark distances from a known point. 265+60 is 60 somethings (I am guessing yards but don't know) away from point 265.

To the right means stand looking at where you think 265+60 is and the station is to your right. To me that means the 265+60 is southeast along the roadway.

Matt

P.S. Surveyors, jump right in and give him the right story! :D

I can't speak to the issue of duplicate PIDs, but the stationing likely refers to 16560 units (could be feet, meters, parsecs, whatever) from a defined beginning point. When I was working for BoR, we used the same pattern. Generally the beginning point was defined as 100+00, so that we could back-station if corrections were needed. You could avoid going into negative numbers that way.

Right or left is referenced to the direction of increasing stationing. Face 'downstream' or towards increasing numbers, and right or left is to your right or left. It only makes sense for linear work - roads, canals and so on.

-Matt

I agree with mapjunkie except that I'm pretty sure the stations are 100 feet.

So look for signs perhaps every 500 or 1000 feet along the road with numbers like 260 or 265 (500 feet later). If you are lucky you will find one in the neighborhood that says 265. They are common around here on major roads that have been rebuilt in the last 30 years. Then measure in the direction of increasing numbers for another 60 feet and look to the right while facing the direction you were traveling.

We may have to wait for evenfall to tell us for sure about this part: I thought the stations were actually in the middle of the road and the signs were offset to the right of way. Then 100 feet from the station would be either about at the right of way or on a side road. Or maybe the guy writing the description took his distance in the description from where the signs are placed regardless of where the highway builders measured their stations, and that gets you to the other side of the road?

I've got a similar situation that I need to go investigate where there are two PIDs for resets that may be the same disk. see

NJ1006, NK0783, and the original (destroyed) NJ0633

Edited by Bill93