Gsak 6.5 Beta Now Ready

ClydeE

Maybe I missed someting in the new release notes so far, but today I downloaded Build 50, and now every macro that I use the statement

IF DataBaseExists("xxxxx")

I get the error

Error in Macro at line xx

IF DataBaseExists("xxxxx")

Error=> Invalid expression in Macro.

Just so you know I have tried it with and without the "s

Hi Clyde,

Just downloaded v6.5 (build 51) And just like in build 49, I have the same problem when printing. The WATCH column wont show in the print. In this picture, the column is between the archeived/unavailable and the user flag column. It comes out as shown, with no icone nor information.

5302c355-de63-4b59-b47a-a03236839fc6.jpg

Thanks

Just downloaded v6.5 (build 51)  And just like in build 49, I have the same problem when printing.  The WATCH column wont show in the print. In this picture, the column is between the archeived/unavailable and the user flag column.  It comes out as shown, with no icone nor information.

Thanks. Fixed in next build.

Edit: However, there should not be any information missing. That is, if you have set a cache to be watched it will still show a "Y" in the column. It is just that the new "glasses" icon is missing for the column heading.

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde,

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't these numbers add up? I've just downloaded the latest beta (B51) and I'm attempting to input a zip file containing a gpx file from a PQ from gc.com. The file contains the caches updated in the last 7 days. When I run it, here's the change log statistics that I get:

Totals

Waypoints in file(s) loaded 40

New waypoints added to GSAK 0

Existing Waypoints updated in GSAK 0

Waypoints already up to date in GSAK 0

Not changed because waypoints were locked 0

Ignored because in permanent delete list 0

Shouldn't the last 5 numbers add up to the total number of waypoints in the file? Or is there some other category that isn't listed?

Thanks,

GrandpaKim

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't these numbers add up? I've just downloaded the latest beta (B51) and I'm attempting to input a zip file containing a gpx file from a PQ from gc.com. The file contains the caches updated in the last 7 days. When I run it, here's the change log statistics that I get:

Totals

New waypoints added to GSAK 0

Existing Waypoints updated in GSAK 0

Waypoints already up to date in GSAK 0

Not changed because waypoints were locked 0

Shouldn't the last 5 numbers add up to the total number of waypoints in the file? Or is there some other category that isn't listed?

This is what I would expect if you loaded a GPX file with this box ticked:

cap38.png

And the GPX date you are loading is not newer than any caches in your database.

When you tick this box, GSAK will only try to update caches in your database if the last GPX date is older than the current GPX file you are loading.

If you want to force GSAK to load the information in the GPX file, select the "always" option.

Totals

New waypoints added to GSAK  0

Existing Waypoints updated in GSAK  0

Waypoints already up to date in GSAK  0

Not changed because waypoints were locked  0

This is what I would expect if you loaded a GPX file with this box ticked:

cap38.png

And the GPX date you are loading is not newer than any caches in your database.

When you tick this box, GSAK will only try to update caches in your database if the last GPX date is older than the current GPX file you are loading.

If you want to force GSAK to load the information in the GPX file, select the "always" option.

Yep, that's what I had checked. I thought it meant that it would only update waypoints if the waypoint in the gpx file was newer than the waypoint in the data base, not the entire file. Thanks for the help.

Clyde,

Ran across a quirk in build 49 today (I'm about to download build 51), but can't replicate it, so I just thought I'd pass it along "FYI".

When copying a single waypoint from one database to a second database, then immediately copying the same single waypoint from the original database to a third database, the second copy operation took over 30 seconds. GSAK appeared to have frozen, but when I called Task Manager to end the program, it said GSAK was "Running" (vs. "Not Responding"). I closed task manager and waited a bit, and finally got the "OK" prompt for the copy operation. Everything seemed fine after that and repeating successive copies with other waypoints went quickly. Thought I'd pass it along, for what it's worth. ;)

Edited by Kai Team

For what it's worth, I've downloaded Beta 6.5.0 build 51, and I'm not finding any issues (yet) with my very large (over 120k caches) database. If something turns up, I'll post, of course. My daily macros are really fairly simple... I'm not expecting any problems.

But in the meantime, I'm wondering if there would be some advantage to a checkbox on the IMPORT dialog which disabled the recording of the detailed cache-by-cache differences when an update occurs. Yes, you'd still need to do the comparison, so that the change date (and summary change count) could be updated. But if the differences weren't logged in detail, that might reduce much of the additional I/O involved in this process, and get some of that 10-15% speed loss mentioned in an earlier post back. I'm not ready to whine about the speed loss there, myself (and the improvement in 6.0 was so good, we can afford to give some back in exchange for a nice feature), but some other large-database-user might....

Best,

Dick "RheS" Smith

But in the meantime, I'm wondering if there would be some advantage to a checkbox on the IMPORT dialog which disabled the recording of the detailed cache-by-cache differences when an update occurs. Yes, you'd still need to do the comparison, so that the change date (and summary change count) could be updated. But if the differences weren't logged in detail, that might reduce much of the additional I/O involved in this process, and get some of that 10-15% speed loss mentioned in an earlier post back.

Yes, I did look at this.

However, the speed benefit gained was way less than 1%, so hardly felt it was worth while.

As mentioned, the main reason for the 10% hit is the actual calculation to see if anything has changed (comparing all the before and after images). Surprisingly, the actual generation of the HTML change log takes up very few CPU cycles.

The other reason for doing this is that if you forget to turn this option back on, there is no way to see the change log after a PQ is loaded. It is also a valuable resource for tracking down some of the so called "bugs" that crop up from time to time, so you know it is always there if you need it.

Build 51

When I "Load GPX/LOC File" and select "Load a folder of files", a subfolder is also being read. Can I turn off this option? This problem did not occur in build 49.

Thanks, it is a bug. This option should only load the folder selected and not sub directories.

I will fix in next build.

Build 53 now ready for download

1. Fixed grid print not showing watch "icon" in column heading

2. FTF in grid print, now shows Y instead of True

3. Distance in grid print now shows 2 decimal places rather than one.

4. Load summary now only prints totals that are greater than zero

5. Fixed filter problem when filter left running past midnight

6. Fixed bug with the use of special tag %shortname per this post

7. Fixed load a folder of files option loading sub directories per this post

8. Added Str function to convert number to string with decimal precision

9. Added NumToStr function to convert a number to a string

10. Added GetSpecial command to get values of special tags

11. Added VSUB command to toggle the support for variable substitution

12. Macro speed improvements

13. Help file updates.

5 - If you left a filter running past midnight and then forced GSAK to run it again it would now say "zero records found" - now fixed

Items 8 to 12 - Normally I would not add new features in a Beta as it introduces the possibility for new bugs and perpetuates the change/testing cycle. However, these changes were made because you currently can not turn off variable substitution in the macro language and I perceived this as a type of "bug". The new commands/functions are to fill the void for users that prefer to write macros with variable substitution turned off.

Download here

Edited by ClydeE
Any chance in getting a way to export a file into .lit or .prc format so that the items can be viewed in a ebook viewer?

I know my ebook on my PocketPC uses a .lit file to view, but Mobipocket uses the .prc extension.

From discussions I have read in these forums, mobipocket is less than favourable with the general geocaching fraternatity - there are far better options available. Couple this with the fact GPSBabel won't generate this format and I don't know of any easy way to do it, the short answer is no.

I keep reading that GSAK will now import a Streets & Trips route into the arc filter? How do I do this?

Jamie

In the Set Filter - Arc/Poly use the load from file option

Using the "Load from file" button you can import coordinates from a text, GPX files (that contain waypoints, routes, tracks) and LOC files. GSAK also support Street Atlas route files (ANR), MapSend Waypoint files (WPT), OziExplorer WPT files, MapSource (MPS) files, MapSource GDB files, Streets & Trips EST files and AutoRoue AXE files, although it does use GPSBabel "Under the hood" to convert these to an acceptable format for the arc filter.

Note that your S&T file must have a route designated with stop points as explained in

Setting Up A Route In Streets and Trips.

Edited by PDOP's
Any chance in getting a way to export a file into .lit or .prc format so that the items can be viewed in a ebook viewer?

I know my ebook on my PocketPC uses a .lit file to view, but Mobipocket uses the .prc extension.

Check out the program GPXSonar. It works with the GPX files and I think is much easier than the mobipocket files to read

Minor Bug

Currently using version 53 and it appears that the new load summary is not centered on the screen. I am using 800*600 screen resolution and when the window is displayed I only just see the top 1/4 of it.

Thanks. Fixed in next build.

You have probably worked it out but as a work around, I will mention that you can drag the window to the center of the screen.

Edited by ClydeE

I've come across an odd bug in B53 (it could have been around from earlier, I just found it now). First I ran the following macro: (This is a stripped down version, just the details needed. The error does happen with this version)

#######################################################################
# Sets filter for unfound caches, excluding unsolved puzzles

SET $RangeFilter="Unfound 10" #unfound; available; within 10 miles

######################
# Main body commands

# clear all user flags
MACROFLAG Type=clear Range=all

# flag all within range
FILTER Name="$RangeFilter"
MACROFLAG Type=set Range=filter

# clear flags on all unsolved puzzles (? caches without corrected co-ords)
FILTER Name="Unsolved Puzzles" #available, unfound, mystery cache, no corr. co-ords
MACROFLAG Type=clear Range=filter

# set filter on selected caches
MFILTER IF=$d_MacroFlag

# clean up
IF $_MacroLevel=1
 SET $RangeFilter=""
ENDIF

Then I did a code search to get a new group of caches. Next a Global Replace of User Data (or User Data 2) to add an ID for the group. After the Global Replace was done (successfully) the message:

The last character you entered for your code serach has produced zero records

This character will now be removed from your search

is displayed. When I click OK, it then reverts to the Unsolved Puzzles filter (this is the last named/saved filter used in the macro), while the status line still reads "Subset: Macro Filter".

Is that enough to track this guy down?

I've come across an odd bug in B53 (it could have been around from earlier, I just found it now). First I ran the following macro: (This is a stripped down version, just the details needed. The error does happen with this version)
# Sets filter for unfound caches, excluding unsolved puzzles

SET $RangeFilter="Unfound 10" #unfound; available; within 10 miles

######################
# Main body commands

# clear all user flags
MACROFLAG Type=clear Range=all

# flag all within range
FILTER Name="$RangeFilter"
MACROFLAG Type=set Range=filter

# clear flags on all unsolved puzzles (? caches without corrected co-ords)
FILTER Name="Unsolved Puzzles" #available, unfound, mystery cache, no corr. co-ords
MACROFLAG Type=clear Range=filter

# set filter on selected caches
MFILTER IF=$d_MacroFlag

# clean up
IF $_MacroLevel=1
 SET $RangeFilter=""
ENDIF

Then I did a code search to get a new group of caches. Next a Global Replace of User Data (or User Data 2) to add an ID for the group. After the Global Replace was done (successfully) the message:

The last character you entered for your code serach has produced zero records

This character will now be removed from your search

is displayed. When I click OK, it then reverts to the Unsolved Puzzles filter (this is the last named/saved filter used in the macro), while the status line still reads "Subset: Macro Filter".

Is that enough to track this guy down?

Thanks. Took me a while to replicate, but finally did and tracked down the problem.

Fixed in next build.

Hi Clyde

I discovered this possible bug in v6.0.2 B=24 a while back, checked v6.5.0 B=53 this morning and get the same result. When using a macro to export an HTML file, if I click on the "abort" button the macro aborts as expected. However, GSAK then locks up after clicking on OK in the Generation aborted by user button. I can't minimize it nor close it, and all the normal functions are frozen. I can click on the Show Desktop button on the Quick Launch, activate & use any other app., so it's just GSAK that's locked. I've tried starting a new iteration of GSAK but it doesn't help. The only way I've found to exit is through the Task Manager, highlight GSAK and End Task. It doesn't seem to matter if other apps. are running or not. Win XP Home. Also happens on my laptop v6.0.2 B=24 using Win98SE, the only way out is CNTRL-ALT-DEL & End Task. Another oddity is the fact that when moving the cursor to the "abort" button, instead of the arrow it's the hourglass.

Aborting an HTML export using File=>Export=>HTML Files or my Tool Bar Button works normally, no lockup.

I discovered this possible bug in v6.0.2 B=24 a while back, checked v6.5.0 B=53 this morning and get the same result. When using a macro to export an HTML file, if I click on the "abort" button the macro aborts as expected. However, GSAK then locks up after clicking on OK in the Generation aborted by user button. I can't minimize it nor close it, and all the normal functions are frozen. I can click on the Show Desktop button on the Quick Launch, activate & use any other app., so it's just GSAK that's locked. I've tried starting a new iteration of GSAK but it doesn't help. The only way I've found to exit is through the Task Manager, highlight GSAK and End Task. It doesn't seem to matter if other apps. are running or not. Win XP Home. Also happens on my laptop v6.0.2 B=24 using Win98SE, the only way out is CNTRL-ALT-DEL & End Task. Another oddity is the fact that when moving the cursor to the "abort" button, instead of the arrow it's the hourglass.

Aborting an HTML export using File=>Export=>HTML Files or my Tool Bar Button works normally, no lockup.

I can replicate this too.

Thanks - you have found a "sleeping" bug.

This one must have been around for some time but the first time anyone has reported it.

Fixed in next build.

Build 54 now ready for download

Changes since build 53:

1. VSUB macro command now shows in the debug window when debug is turned on (previously it was ignoring this statement)

2. Load summary now placed in center of screen for all screen resolutions per this post

3. GSAK now produces and Error message rather than crash on load of gpx or zip file with zero bytes.

5. Full text search no longer searches inside html tags if short or long description contain html markup.

6. Fixed restore of macro filter per this post

7. Fixed abort of html generation in macro then lockup per this post

8. Fixed %shortname=nn problem.

5 - The full text search would previously search for your word or phrase through all the raw data in the GSAK database. The problem being that your word might also be inside HTML markup and you effectively get a "false positive". For example, you do a full text search for all descriptions containing the word "blue". The problem is that your search will also include caches that have HTML markup using a "blue" font. This would also be confusing, as not only do you get a match, but the split screen view would not show the "blue" match because the raw HTML markup is not displayed, but rather interpreted to show the correct page layout so you don't get to see where "blue" actually matched. Any data inside HTML markup tags is now stripped before the search is done.

8 - Using %shortname=nn would result in the correct shortname but =nn would literally be added to the end of the resulting name. Now fixed.

Download here

Edited by ClydeE

Hi Clyde!

many thanks again for a wonderful piece of software. As I am fairly new to GSAK, I'm passing on the beta test this time round, and leaving that to the experts! However, there looks like some excellent new features in it, and I was hoping you could give us a ball park figure for when the final version might be available! :)

Yours in hope :lol:

Dave

many thanks again for a wonderful piece of software. As I am fairly new to GSAK, I'm passing on the beta test this time round, and leaving that to the experts! However, there looks like some excellent new features in it, and I was hoping you could give us a ball park figure for when the final version might be available!  :)

That is a tough one. I am not fan of giving deadlines as it often begs for disappointment.

It should be before Christmas, but as in many things in life there are no Guarantees :lol:

This was actually a huge release for me - mainly from a sheer volume of code changes perspective. Though it has kept me busy, I have been very pleased with the Beta test results so far. Users seem to be really putting it through its paces and there have been some great pick ups. We have even come across a few "sleepers" where a bug has been in the system since at least the last public release. You guys are doing a great job :P

As per my initial release notes in this thread, I plan to continue with the "bug fix" then test cycle until I am happy the new release is stable. As with most programs, GSAK will never be "bug free", but I like to get it to a stage where users can be confident they have a stable version. We are getting closer, but I feel we are not quite there yet.

Many thanks to those participating in the Beta and I hope you continue to download the latest builds and bash away at GSAK. I also hope you are getting value out of being on the "bleeding edge" and using the new features. :mad::huh::P

Edited by ClydeE

Hello,

Just a note, just installed new beta version, and I am getting a extra window when I export the database to a Mapsource file. Earlier versions after the export was complete I would get a simple small window saying export done and hit the ok button. Now after the export is done it popups a dos window saying export is done and please hit any key to continue. Just wanted to bring this up, might be a little gremlin....

Thanks

SaidCache

Hy Clyde,

I'm not sure if I follow regarding the Load Summary beeing centered in the window. When I run the micro for the summary, my screen looks like that.

It's on the upper left corner of the screen.

f75b6cfc-0604-4a6a-a8d8-ac5e62ca18bf.jpg

edit: disregard this post, just found out what you were talking about. Sorry.

Edited by Nomades

In the manual - chapter - Automating GSAK (Macros)

command - FILEREAD <File=FileName>

You show example code as:

$blank = 0

FileRead File=c:\temp\test.txt

If empty($line)

$blank = $blank + 1

EndIf

EndRead

Pause Msg=Number of blank lines in file: $blank

The line " If empty($line)" should read " If IsEmpty($line)" or it aborts. When I used this to read a file I had to modify the iF statement to "If .not. IsEmpty($line)" to get it to read line by line.

Edited by papatom2
In the manual - chapter - Automating GSAK (Macros)

command - FILEREAD <File=FileName>

You show example code as:

$blank = 0

FileRead File=c:\temp\test.txt

If empty($line)

$blank = $blank + 1

EndIf

EndRead

Pause Msg=Number of blank lines in file: $blank

The line " If empty($line)" should read " If IsEmpty($line)" or it aborts. When I used this to read a file I had to modify the iF statement to "If .not. IsEmpty($line)" to get it to read line by line.

Thanks, I will updae the help file to reflect this.

Just a note, just installed new beta version, and I am getting a extra window when I export the database to a Mapsource file. Earlier versions after the export was complete I would get a simple small window saying export done and hit the ok button. Now after the export is done it popups a dos window saying export is done and please hit any key to continue. Just wanted to bring this up, might be a little gremlin....

Sound like for some reason you are running GSAK in debug mode.

Go to Tools=>Options=>Advanced and turn it off:

cap46.png

Hy Clyde,

I'm not sure if I follow regarding the Load Summary beeing centered in the window. When I run the micro for the summary, my screen looks like that.

It's on the upper left corner of the screen.

<snip>

edit: disregard this post, just found out what you were talking about. Sorry.

BTW, the summary.txt file you are showing is now somewhat "defunct" in GSAK 6.5

The successor to this macro is now stats.txt and can be downloaded here http://gsak.net/macros.php

This macro can also easily be changed to accumulate multiple databases. Sample:

cap32.png

Clyde,

It seems that both buttons serve the same purpose.  They both bring us to the cache page.  Shouldn't the Geo button bring us to Geocaching.com home page while the online button bring us to the cache page?

<snip>

No. Let me explain.

The Geo button is a custom URL, and you can change the behaviour of this URL to anything you like. If you really want it to just go to the geocaching.com page then change it to do so.

What this means is that for every custom URL you have in GSAK (entered via Tools=>Options=>HTML) GSAK generates a button that you can add to the tool bar. This button has the first 3 characters of the name you have given to the custom URL and it will perform the exact same function as if you had mouse right clicked on the cache and selected that custom URL. So in fact not everybody will have a "Geo" button because they may have deleted that custom URL.

The "Online link" button is completely different. This button will call up the URL you have allocated to the actual cache. The GPX files sent to you from Groundspeak have the corresponding link to the cache page but custom added waypoints may have something completely different (might go to your home page for example). For user added waypoints (or gc.com ones for that matter) you can change the link that is fired for this waypoint via Waypoint=>Edit (or the right mouse click on a waypoint)

cap50.png

Edited by ClydeE

Hi Clyde

After importing a GPX i get a Load Summary. At the end i cab see those caches witch have change from available to Unavailable or the other way around. Is it possible to see wicth caches are new? I like to see those caches who were not pressent in the old database. This would be nice fore those people who want to be the first finders.

Jurgen

After importing a GPX i get a Load Summary. At the end i cab see those caches witch have change from available to Unavailable or the other way around. Is it possible to see wicth caches are new? I like to see those caches who were not pressent in the old database. This would be nice fore those people who want to be the first finders.

I really want to keep the summary, well, a summary :rolleyes:

There are several options available to you here, including clicking on the link to display the full change log (this shows new caches).

However, the most common way to handle this is to set a filter on creation date equal to today. When data is added to GSAK every waypoint gets a "creation" date, so any new caches will have a creation date of today.

If this is something you do often then save a filter, but make it generic by using the during option:

cap51.png

Not really a beta issue but what is the custom URL in GSAK (Tools=>Options=>HTML) for www.lostoutdoors.com? I have tried several alternatives but can't get the right combination.

Sorry to be picky, but as per the release notes in this thread, I really want to keep this thread for 6.5 beta issues. The boundaries can be fuzzy at times so I won't get my knickers in a twist when they are crossed.

However, this one certainly belongs in the current GSAK thread.

(and just for the record, I, personally am not sure what the correct URL should be)

Ran into a problem today when trying to load a GPX file. I doubled clicked the GPX file when GSAK wasn't opened. It started the import fine, but after the file was loaded, the application just sat there and did nothing. It never finished the import as far as I could tell. I had to force the application to shut down. If I double click the GPX file when GSAK is already open, the same thing happens. But if I drag and drop the file into the application, the file imported fine.

Ran into a problem today when trying to load a GPX file. I doubled clicked the GPX file when GSAK wasn't opened. It started the import fine, but after the file was loaded, the application just sat there and did nothing. It never finished the import as far as I could tell. I had to force the application to shut down. If I double click the GPX file when GSAK is already open, the same thing happens. But if I drag and drop the file into the application, the file imported fine.

Hmmm, strange. I can't repeat this, nor do I have any other reports of it.

Could you first do a "Database=>Repair/Defrag", then reboot your computer.

If you can still repeat the problem could you please do a "File=>Backup" selecting just the one database you have the problem and remember to tick the settings box. Could you then email me the generated zip file together with the GPX file you are loading to cause the problem. Thanks.

Ran into a problem today when trying to load a GPX file.  I doubled clicked the GPX file when GSAK wasn't opened.  It started the import fine, but after the file was loaded, the application just sat there and did nothing.  It never finished the import as far as I could tell.  I had to force the application to shut down.  If I double click the GPX file when GSAK is already open, the same thing happens.  But if I drag and drop the file into the application, the file imported fine.

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I would do the same and get the same result. However, the problem was that I had to Alt+Tab to GSAK and then I would find the summary dialog box. When I clicked "OK" everything was fine.