Gsak 6.5 Beta Now Ready

ClydeE

Ran into a problem today when trying to load a GPX file.  I doubled clicked the GPX file when GSAK wasn't opened.  It started the import fine, but after the file was loaded, the application just sat there and did nothing.  It never finished the import as far as I could tell.  I had to force the application to shut down.  If I double click the GPX file when GSAK is already open, the same thing happens.  But if I drag and drop the file into the application, the file imported fine.

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I would do the same and get the same result. However, the problem was that I had to Alt+Tab to GSAK and then I would find the summary dialog box. When I clicked "OK" everything was fine.

I have the habit of doing something else (writing emails, browsing the web, ...) while GSAK is working on a export or downloading emails.

It's really not a good habit since I sometimes wind up with the primary window in front of the dialogs when I go back to GSAK. The appearance is similar to the one described above - the main window is active, but non-responsive. If I can find the "hidden" dialog and OK it, everything is fine. If I can't, it's the three-finger salute and a "free" database check.

I figured I was the only person seeing the problem and since I know it's self-induced, I hadn't bothered to report it, but it does resemble some aspects of the problem SirElmo posted.

Jon

I've seen this problem in both the beta and previous version.

Edited by jon & miki

Ok, it would seem that is what the issue is (the load summary is hidden).

However, I have tried several variations of loading gpx/zip files and can not cause this to happen.

If anyone can repeat this reliably, could you please provide the necessary steps to do so.

Thanks

Ok, it would seem that is what the issue is (the load summary is hidden).

However, I have tried several variations of loading gpx/zip files and can not cause this to happen.

If anyone can repeat this reliably, could you please provide the necessary steps to do so.

Thanks

Just tried a few variations and haven't been able to reproduce the hidden dialog problem. I'll continue to indulge my bad habit of multi-tasking and see if I can reconstruct the recipe the next time it happens.

Jon

Build 55 now ready

Changes/Fixes since build 54:

1. Includes latest Beta version of GPSBabel.

2. Added STOPREAD command to exit out of FileRead/EndRead.

3. Added "bring application to front" before display of load summary.

4. Automatic version check no longer "sticky" when router or proxy server not connected to Internet.

5. Help file updates.

1. The latest version of GPSBabel fixes a problem when generating KML files that do not have a URL (previously this would cause Google Earth to "crash" on the generated KML file). This version also fixes some issues to do with character encoding. For a complete list of changes please see http://gpsbabel.org/changes.html

2. The FileRead/EndRead macro commands allows you to read any text file of unlimited size. However, once you started reading the file there was no way to stop it. This was quite inefficient for large text files, especially if the text you were after was in the first few records. The new STOPREAD command allows you to stop reading of the text file at any time in the loop (similar behaviour to the BREAK command in a WHILE loop).

3. Though I still can't reproduce this issue, this change is an effort to fix this problem

4. If you were on a network that had an Internet connection but the connection was currently down or not available, the automatic version checker would "go sticky" with the symptom being that GSAK would appear to "freeze" for 20 seconds or so. This has now been fixed.

Download here

I havent had time to check this thoroughly, but it seems like the Load GPX

function includes all subdirectories in the search path for files to load.

This is mildly annoying since I keep all my old PQs in dated subdirectories

under the directory that holds the most recent PQs.

Is this so or am I doing something wrong. This has started to happen

lately (and since I have not loaded PQs for more than a week I am

not shure I can entirely blame the new Beta...)

Havent tried build 55 yet.

hbrx.

I havent had time to check this thoroughly, but it seems like the Load GPX

This is mildly annoying since I keep all my old PQs in dated subdirectories

under the directory that holds the most recent PQs.

Is this so or am I doing something wrong. This has started to happen

lately (and since I have not loaded PQs for more than a week I am

not shure I can entirely blame the new Beta...)

Havent tried build 55 yet.

hbrx.

Clyde fixed this in a previous build. Make sure that you get the latest build and try it again.

the Load GPX

Clyde fixed this in a previous build. Make sure that you get the latest build and try it again.

Of course...

:ph34r: My bad in the hurry today before leaving for the Airport and fiddling to

get all the latest PQs loaded. Hadent noticed build 53, and the post regarding this

have mysteriously slipped my tired eyes.

Works like a charm now. Thanks.

hbrx.

I'm not sure if this is a Beta problem, or a "My computer" problem. Sometimes, I get a second GSAK instance in the toolbar. One says "gsak" and is active in that clicking on it opens the running instance. The other says "GSAK Version 6.5.0 DataBase: Default" but it has no active running program in that nothing comes up when I click on it. In Task Manager/Applications, only one GSAK application is running, and in Task Manager/Processes, I see only one gsak.exe. If I close the "non-active" GSAK Vers..." instance (by right-click and select Close), then both instances go away. The active "gsak" instance seems to operate correctly.

This is not always repeatable, but happens about every third time I start GSAK. I am running Build 55 under Win XP SP2 fully up-to-date.

I'm not sure if this is a Beta problem, or a "My computer" problem. Sometimes, I get a second GSAK instance in the toolbar. One says "gsak" and is active in that clicking on it opens the running instance. The other says "GSAK Version 6.5.0 DataBase: Default" but it has no active running program in that nothing comes up when I click on it. In Task Manager/Applications, only one GSAK application is running, and in Task Manager/Processes, I see only one gsak.exe. If I close the "non-active" GSAK Vers..." instance (by right-click and select Close), then both instances go away. The active "gsak" instance seems to operate correctly.

This is not always repeatable, but happens about every third time I start GSAK. I am running Build 55 under Win XP SP2 fully up-to-date.

Hmm, this is another one I can't duplicate nor do I have any other reports of it.

So I can test this out on a couple of different boxes here, how are you "starting" the second instance of GSAK (That is, from the desktop icon, double click on a GPX file, drag and drop from email client, ....)?

I actually start GSAK only once, but both instances sometimes show up with just one launch. To start GSAK, I click on the icon which I have pasted into the "START" pane.

Unfortunately, I can't reliably duplicate it either, which makes me suspicious that it may be an artifact of some flakiness in my own computer.

I actually start GSAK only once, but both instances sometimes show up with just one launch. To start GSAK, I click on the icon which I have pasted into the "START" pane.

Unfortunately, I can't reliably duplicate it either, which makes me suspicious that it may be an artifact of some flakiness in my own computer.

I must confess, the fact your Task Manager is only showing one copy of GSAK running does indicate something "weird" on your computer.

Unfortunately, at this stage I can't think of any setting that would cause this. Though it could be the result of some other program or service that is running on your computer.

The only way to check if it is GSAK or the operating system is to minimise all the windows shown on the task bar one at a time until you have only the rogue one left. If you can see a window still there then it is GSAK opening it but if you can't it is more likely to be the operating system but not always as it can still be GSAK but more difficult to prove one way or the other.

If you click on the rogue one when all other windows are minimised and the main GSAK windows pops up then it is child window of GSAK in some way and would need to be tracked down by Clyde.

By the way it isn't something new to the beta as it has happened to me once out of about 25 starts when I trialled GSAK about 3 months ago. Stopping the main window and restarting fixed whatever it was. (Via the task bar)

The only way to check if it is GSAK or the operating system is to minimise all the windows shown on the task bar one at a time until you have only the rogue one left. If you can see a window still there then it is GSAK opening it but if you can't it is more likely to be the operating system but not always as it can still be GSAK but more difficult to prove one way or the other.

If you click on the rogue one when all other windows are minimised and the main GSAK windows pops up then it is child window of GSAK in some way and would need to be tracked down by Clyde.

By the way it isn't something new to the beta as it has happened to me once out of about 25 starts when I trialled GSAK about 3 months ago. Stopping the main window and restarting fixed whatever it was. (Via the task bar)

Yeah, I tried closing down everything except the GSAK instances. That's when I got the behaviour I described above.

Sure seems strange to me. :ph34r: I will keep investigating and if I get any consistent info, I will re-post either here or in the main GSAK thread.

I posted this in the other GASK thread, but unless I've missed the reply, I don't think there has been one.

Appologies for asking again, but I'd really like to get away from saving individual MMOs if I can.

I've been using GSAK now for around a month and find it brilliant. Well done Clyde, keep up the good work and thank you.

I posted this in the other GASK thread, but unless I've missed the reply, I don't think there has been one.

Appologies for asking again, but I'd really like to get away from saving individual MMOs if I can.

I've been using GSAK now for around a month and find it brilliant.  Well done Clyde, keep up the good work and thank you.

Sorry, I didn't have an answer for you then and I don't now.

I was hoping someone else with GSAK/Memory Map expertise would have been able to shed some light on your problem, but alas this was not to be.

This is really more a Memory Map question (which I confess to knowing very little about) rather than a GSAK question.

I think you would be better off asking how the best way to do this by creating a new topic in the "GPS units and Software" section

Edited by ClydeE

On the thread about duplicate instances on the start bar of the same program.... Maybe the following will shed some light on the subject.

A while ago I loaded some programs called “Power Toys” from Microsoft (free stuff to soup up Windows XP). One of the programs I loaded was an advanced task-switching program that replaced the default task switcher (the thing you see when you hit Alt-Tab). This new task switcher gave me a miniature graphical preview of the application instead of an icon of the task I was switching to. With GSAK it routinely had multiple instances and also resulted in multiple instances on the start bar. Recently my IT “friends” at work updated my computer and when it came back, this piece of software was no longer installed. And lo-and-behold no more duplicates in the task iconery.

Build 56 now ready

Changes since build 55:

1. Fixed crash when trying to save <macro> settings to a folder that doesn't exist

2. File=>Backup, fixed an issue where the databases were some times not sorted in the correct alpha sequence in the list

3. Fixed a problem of the # symbol when used in the macro language being treated as a comment when inside <data> and <enddata> (should just be a literal)

4. Fixed an obscure error of "variable does not exists" when using the $_SortBy system variable in a macro

5. Help file updates

5 - It should be noted that the macro commands DEBUG and SHOWSTATUS allow you to alter the size and position of these dialogs via the tokens Height, Width, Left, and Top. This is not new to 6.5 but the information was missing from the help file.

1..4 - All these bugs were actually "sleepers" and have been around since version 6.0, but only picked up now in the Beta testing of 6.5 :)

I am starting to feel that 6.5 is getting close enough for a public final release. I won't fool myself by thinking that no more bugs will be found, but it would appear this release is now stable and rid of any "major" nasties.

I will leave build 56 out there for a little while just in case I have introduced some new bugs with the latest changes.

However, at some stage you have to take the plunge and make it final or it will never get out the door.

Depending on the quantity and severity of any new bugs found once I do the final release I will either do a maintenance release or just roll the fixes in to the next significant release.

I will keep you updated in this thread when the final release is ready, but the automatic version update feature should also let you know. If you have turned this off via Tools=>Options=>Advanced, I recommend turning it back on as major changes have been made to this tool to prevent problems reported in the past (lock ups, not working behind firewall and proxy servers, etc)

Download here

Edited by ClydeE

With v6.5 (last build 56 too)

GSAK with 2 database, Default is empty, Habot with conctent

Run GSAK

Chose empty database

Quit GSAK

Run GSAK

Change to another database (not empty)

Screen is empty (no refresh)

Quit GSAK

Run GSAK

All is Ok

juste à little refresh ?

Thanks

Habot

With v6.5 (last build 56 too)

GSAK with 2 database, Default is empty, Habot with conctent

Run GSAK

Chose empty database

Quit GSAK

Run GSAK

Change to another database (not empty)

Screen is empty (no refresh)

Quit GSAK

Run GSAK

All is Ok

juste à little refresh ?

Thanks

Habot

Hmm, I tried several times but could not repeat this. I suspect there must be something more in the mix.

Anything else you can tell me?

If you could also test this after doing a "Database=>Repair/Defrag" and computer reboot.

Perhaps it is setting related, so could you please take the option "Tools=>Send debug info to Clyde" and email me the tracking number.

I will then try with your settings and see if I can duplicate.

Yep a start macro choose à filter at startup

FILTER Name="0 Main Belgique"

Without macro, no problem. Strange.

[Edit]Oki, found. Filter saved with location no more on my location list.

I've save filter without location. All is Ok. Sorry

Edited by habot

This may have always been this way, but I just noticed it after downloading Build 56: Depending on where you place the split in the split screen view, there is a gap at the bottom of the grid view, just above the scroll bar, i.e. no partial row is shown:

screenshot5yn.jpg

If I tweak where the split is to match the bottom of a grid row, the gap goes away (which is why it may have always been there and I didn't notice it).

It's a minor annoyance, but it made me think I was at the bottom of the list (i.e. no further grid to display) vs. in the middle of the list, until I looked at the vertical scroll bar.

This may have always been this way, but I just noticed it after downloading Build 56: Depending on where you place the split in the split screen view, there is a gap at the bottom of the grid view, just above the scroll bar, i.e. no partial row is shown:

<snip>

If I tweak where the split is to match the bottom of a grid row, the gap goes away (which is why it may have always been there and I didn't notice it).

It's a minor annoyance, but it made me think I was at the bottom of the list (i.e. no further grid to display) vs. in the middle of the list, until I looked at the vertical scroll bar.

Yep, this has always been the behaviour from day one of GSAK.

It is just a property of how the grid component reacts with the frame.

Basically the grid will fit as many rows as possible into the available pixels of the frame. If the height of the frame is not an exact multiple of the size of the row then the resulting difference will show up as white space. This amount of "space" can be any size up to 1 less pixel than the row height.

i'm not yet on beta56 (still have beta51) but i don't think that there have been any changes with the mail download.

my reports do not really concern errors, but options i would like to see in future releases:

1:

gsak downloads a few pocket queries a day, and places the files in the selected folder. all these files get just meaningless numbers as filenames, not really nice to find out which one of the queries hit it's head at 500 waypoints.

does it really make sense to use numbers as filenames?

wouldn't it be better to name the files according to the subject line of the mail, the file is extracted from?

i think the files would be easier to be handled by humans ;-)

2:

all pocket queries, downloaded by gsak, are placed within the same folder, so after a few days, there are lots of files there.

unfortunately, gsak seems not only to import the actually downloaded files, but all files it finds within this folder, and all it's subfolders, taking a lot of time.

isn't it possible to let gsak only import the files it has just downloaded, ignoring all files it has already imported earlier?

or it might download the files to a temporary import folder, moving them to the final download folder right after importing them. so it only finds the actually downloaded files for import.

what do you think about adding these features?

churinga

Hello,

just moved to the Beta wagon... Nice new stuff, but the thing I noticed right away, is the new Load Summary screen.... wierd thing with this, though... when I click on a link in this screen , it opens Internet Explorer instead of FireFox, which is my default browser.... any reason ? Way to fix this ?

thanks,

Ben

Edited by TravelBen
i'm not yet on beta56 (still have beta51) but i don't think that there have been any changes with the mail download.

my reports do not really concern errors, but options i would like to see in future releases:

1:

gsak downloads a few pocket queries a day, and places the files in the selected folder. all these files get just meaningless numbers as filenames, not really nice to find out which one of the queries hit it's head at 500 waypoints.

wouldn't it be better to name the files according to the subject line of the mail, the file is extracted from?

2:

all pocket queries, downloaded by gsak, are placed within the same folder, so after a few days, there are lots of files there.

unfortunately, gsak seems not only to import the actually downloaded files, but all files it finds within this folder, and all it's subfolders, taking a lot of time.

isn't it possible to let gsak only import the files it has just downloaded, ignoring all files it has already imported earlier?

or it might download the files to a temporary import folder, moving them to the final download folder right after importing them. so it only finds the actually downloaded files for import.

what do you think about adding these features?

churinga

1: GSAK doesn't use numbers for the PQ downloaded filenames - that's how they come from Groundspeak. GSAK accepts the filename it's given.

2: There was a bug in earlier versions of GSAK (I'm pretty sure it was fixed ~B54) that imported all GPX/ZIP/whatever files in the import folder you specify as well as all subfolders. Upgrade to the latest, above, and this will go away.

As far as keeping all those files - I suppose you have your reasons but I see no need to keep older PQ downloads, and GSAK has a setting in the File/Import GPX\LOC dialog to remove PQ files after successfully importing. Keeps it nice and clean in there.

Hope that helps. If I'm off in any particulars, I'm sure Clyde or someone will correct me.

1:

In addition to the answer by Pasha, please read the release notes for 6.5 here http://gsak.net/ver650/hs1060.htm

About the 7th line down there is a new feature that does exactly what you are asking.

Point 2 was correctly answered by Pasha.

just moved to the Beta wagon... Nice new stuff, but the thing I noticed right away, is the new Load Summary screen.... wierd thing with this, though... when I click on a link in this screen , it opens Internet Explorer instead of FireFox, which is my default browser.... any reason ? Way to fix this ?

Question already asked and answered in this thread.

Please see this post

Clyde n Folks

I know we're getting close to D minus zero, but I have a few questions.

Build 56

- Is there a way to limit the DATASAVE command to the current MFILTER as well as the FILTER? (It is time-consuming to save everything in a filter when the command only effects one record.)

- Does VSUB affect the use of variables in some commands, such as FILEREAD

FILEREAD ($_Install+"\autonum.dat")

..........gives an error

SET $DATAFILE=$_Install+"\autonum.dat"

FILEREAD ($Datafile)

....works fine.

Thanks!!

Folks

I've run into a problem with the Macro SPEEDMODE command. To speed up access in the DATASAVE command....

I turn SPEEDMODE STATUS=On before the DATASAVE.

At the end of the macro, I call SPEEDMODE STATUS=Off.

After running the macro, the view listing the caches is there, but you cannot select another cache. If you try to exit and backup, I get a LIST INDEX OUT OF BOUNDS (8) exception.

Any suggestions?

Hello Clyde

I have this "problem" sometimes too. But in my case I start GSAK too early.

I use XP Media Center Edition. I don't know why, my XP needs a lot of time to bootup after clickung on the username. I use a shortcut of GSAK in my quickstart. When XP is starting up and isn't ready and I started GSAK the two instances happened. But after bootup the second button in the taskbar is away.

Could it be that this second "instance" is the boot logo from GSAK?

Just my 2 cents. Chris

Not sure if this has been covered before, if it has, my apologies for not searching for long enough !!!

Any way, I have just done a PQ for all "my done ones" and one cache, a web cam has been imported into GSAK but it isn't ticked off as Found, nor is it's Code hilighted yellow. All others are !!

Is it me ??

Is there a way to limit the DATASAVE command to the current MFILTER as well as the FILTER? (It is time-consuming to save everything in a filter when the command only effects one record.)

As per the help file, DataSave and DataRestore do respect the current filter. Try the commands on a filter of one record then on the whole database - you should notice a substantial difference.

- Does VSUB affect the use of variables in some commands, such as FILEREAD

FILEREAD ($_Install+"\autonum.dat")

..........gives an error

SET $DATAFILE=$_Install+"\autonum.dat"

FILEREAD ($Datafile)

....works fine.

Please see the help file on how this command affects variables. However, in the code snippet above the reason for the error in the first line is that you are not assigning the FILEREAD function to a variable. All functions in the GSAK language return a value, so when you use a function in an expression like this you must always assign the result of the function to a variable.

I've run into a problem with the Macro SPEEDMODE command. To speed up access in the DATASAVE command....

I turn SPEEDMODE STATUS=On before the DATASAVE.

At the end of the macro, I call SPEEDMODE STATUS=Off.

After running the macro, the view listing the caches is there, but you cannot select another cache. If you try to exit and backup, I get a LIST INDEX OUT OF BOUNDS (8) exception.

I will check this out, but in the interim you can remove both those lines of code (they effectively do nothing) and the macro should work fine. I suspect the error is because SPEEDMODE Status=off is your very last command and this makes no sense to GSAK as it is always expecting at least one command to be run after it.

SPEEDMODE is only applicable to the macro language and is on by default (please read the help file on this command at it does explain this in more detail). So turning it on at the start and off at the end is not needed.

There are times when you may want SPEEDMODE set off (see help) but usually macros are best run from start to finish with SPEEDMODE set on, so there is no need to use this command at all.

Edited by ClydeE
I'm not sure if this is a Beta problem, or a "My computer" problem. Sometimes, I get a second GSAK instance in the toolbar. One says "gsak" and is active in that clicking on it opens the running instance. The other says "GSAK Version 6.5.0    DataBase: Default" but it has no active running program in that nothing comes up when I click on it. In Task Manager/Applications, only one GSAK application is running, and in Task Manager/Processes, I see only one gsak.exe. If I close the "non-active" GSAK Vers..." instance (by right-click and select Close), then both instances go away. The active "gsak" instance seems to operate correctly.

Hello Clyde

I have this "problem" sometimes too. But in my case I start GSAK too early.

I use XP Media Center Edition. I don't know why, my XP needs a lot of time to bootup after clickung on the username. I use a shortcut of GSAK in my quickstart. When XP is starting up and isn't ready and I started GSAK the two instances happened. But after bootup the second button in the taskbar is away.

Could it be that this second "instance" is the boot logo from GSAK?

Just my 2 cents. Chris

Yes, this one has me somewhat baffled. I have tried all sorts of combinations on different computers but still can not reproduce.

As per the post by Hyner, I suspect there is some other utility/software/service in the mix that is causing this.

As it does not appear to actually affect the running of GSAK and is only happening on rare occasions on specific computers I doubt I will hold up the final on this one.

Not sure if this has been covered before, if it has, my apologies for not searching for long enough !!!

Any way, I have just done a PQ for all "my done ones" and one cache, a web cam has been imported into GSAK but it isn't ticked off as Found, nor is it's Code hilighted yellow. All others are !!

Is it me ??

For some reason Groundspeak do not flag WebCam caches as found even though you have found them ;)

However, GSAK still handles this scenario by scanning your found logs to pick up the find, but this will only work if GSAK knows who you are.

What this is implying is that you have not set up GSAK to recognize you and this is very important to get right as this "identification" is also used for the calculation of the "Found by me" date and to show your hidden/placed caches.

To get this right make sure you have the "method for matching hidden and found" caches filled out correctly (Tools=>Options=>General). For more information see the help file or view this section online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

Duplicate posts

I am the first to admit that once a topic goes beyond a couple of pages I can't be bothered reading it all. I certainly don't expect you to read all of the GSAK thread(s) to see if a question has already been asked.

However, one of the reasons some threads get so large in the first place is duplicate posts. Unfortunately this board does not allow you to narrow your search down to a thread, but a high percentage of duplicate posts can be avoided by efficient use of the search tools available.

When searching to see if a question has already been asked in a particular thread, there are 3 points that many users overlook that assist greatly in narrowing down matches, and making the search useful :

1. Very important. When you do the search make sure to select the "show results as posts" option rather than the "show results as topics". The problem with selecting the "show results as topics" option is that you only get the thread topic listed in your matched results, and you are no better off because you would then still have to read the whole thread.

2. Select only the "forum" you want to search in. For example if you want to search on this thread make sure you select only the "GPS units and Software" forum. If you now search for something like "firefox" you will now only get hits in that forum rather than everywhere. This will immediately narrow down the number of hits found.

3. Use the and keyword to ask the search to only list a match if both words are found any where. For example, you have an issue in the latest gsak beta to do with Firefox and the new load summary. For your search key in "firefox and summary". This will give you a match on any post that has the word "firefox" and "summary" but the words can be anywhere in the post. The problem with using "firefox summary" is that you will only get a match if that exact phrase is found in the post.

You may still get hits from other threads that contain both these words but it is quite easy to ignore the titles of the other threads and just keep scrolling down the page, only looking at titles of the thread you are interested in.

So taking our example, if you want to know if a question has been asked about firefox and the new load summary:

Click on search:

cap57.png

Key in "firefox and summary" :

cap58.png

Make sure you select the correct forum:

cap56.png

Select "show results as posts":

cap59.png

Warning: Notice the default is to only search posts in the last 30 days. If the topic has been open for a long time then you should select "Any date"

cap60.png

In this particular example all the matches shown are only for the GSAK 6.5 Beta - which is exactly what you want.

Edited by ClydeE

re the 'Tools / Grab Coordinates' feature. This is great but the following cache does not work. Cache ie I cant grab the co-ords for the intermediate points.

looking at the HTML in the long description I see

<p><b>2.  An Abode of Profligacy, Vice and Drunkenness</b></p>

N 55° 56.805<br>

W 003° 11.852<br>

If I manually edit the waypoint long description to remove the º symbol i.e.

N 55 56.805<br>

W 003 11.852<br>

Then it work just fine. Looks like more of an oversight than a bug as all the other pages I have tried work just fine. Could this be included or is it macro time!

Edited by Big Wolf
re the 'Tools / Grab Coordinates' feature. This is great but the following cache does not work. Cache ie I cant grab the co-ords for the intermediate points.

looking at the HTML in the long description I see

N 55° 56.805<br>

W 003° 11.852<br>

If I manually edit the waypoint long description to remove the º symbol i.e.

Thanks.

Yep, it looks like it is the entity encoding of the degree symbol (use of °) that is throwing a spanner in the works here.

On the surface it would appear the grabber should just be able to strip this entity encoding out of the string before doing the GRAB and it should work fine.

I will try and squeeze this into the code before I release the final.

I haven't downloaded 6.5 yet and can't see the change history. This is a minor issue in 6.0.2 I noticed recently and wonder if it is addressed in 6.5:

If I place a cache and use a "made-up" owner name, GSAK doesn't match that as a placed cache. The same option is used for matching both placed and found caches. However, the cache will still have the same "Owner Id".

So it would be useful to have a separate option for placed cache identification, either using the Owner ID or just a checkbox in the waypoint data. I tried editing the "Placed By" field to my logon ID, but it was overrideen by the following PQ.

I haven't downloaded 6.5 yet and can't see the change history. This is a minor issue in 6.0.2 I noticed recently and wonder if it is addressed in 6.5:

If I place a cache and use a "made-up" owner name, GSAK doesn't match that as a placed cache. The same option is used for matching both placed and found caches. However, the cache will still have the same "Owner Id".

So it would be useful to have a separate option for placed cache identification, either using the Owner ID or just a checkbox in the waypoint data. I tried editing the "Placed By" field to my logon ID, but it was overrideen by the following PQ.

If you want to see the change history for 6.5 please see the first post in this thread for a link to the full change history.

As for your other suggestion, to be honest I am not 100% sure what you are getting at , but the situation you describe sounds very esoteric to me and I am not fully convinced it should allowed for.

I also believe you have enough workarounds available in the sense:

1. Placed and found matching can be selected by name or ID

2. If you don't want a cache overridden by the next PQ then lock the cache

3. If you only want to stop a particular field from being update then select the "lock" option on the LOAD command in a macro

Now that you have a Grab Coordinates tools, maybe you could permit to enlarge the 1st column, i.e. the Code column.  Because, what use to fit doesn't fit anymore when you add the 01 at the end!

You can make this column any width you like.

To re-size, you just need to "unlock" it if you currently have it set as the first column.

GSAK ships with the code as the first column and "lock" setting so that if you scroll to the right you will not loose the "code" column.

So if you want to alter the size of this column just unlock it, than change. You can always lock it again after you have finished.

cap61.png

Edited by ClydeE

I don't know if this has been done or not, but I added a Print option to my custom URLS. Heres the codes for them. &numlogs= can be changed to any number of logs. I have none, 5 & 10 in my cust. urls.

Geocaching Print 10 Logs=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=y&log=y&numlogs=10&wp=%code

Geocaching Print 5 Logs=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=y&log=y&numlogs=5&wp=%code

Geocaching Print=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=y&log=n&wp=%code

GSAK 6.5 is now final.

The final build is 57 and the only changes since build 56 were:

1. Added $_Version macro system variable

2. Removed entity encoding of ° before grabbing waypoints

3. Help file updates.

Hopefully none of these changes added any new bugs (famous last words) :P

I have now started a new thread and am closing down this and the existing 6.0 GSAK thread.

The new topic can be found here