Gsak 6.5 Beta Now Ready

ClydeE

GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) 6.5 is now available for download.

There have been many changes made to the code for this version, hence the need for a Beta cycle before a final release. At this stage I am only making the beta version available from the link in this thread.

If you are not familiar with Beta software then I suggest you wait for the final release. If you like keeping up with the latest then this version is for you. Though it has already been tested by a small group of users, I really need a larger audience to make sure all areas get a good working over. I would suggest you at least do a File=>Backup and save everything before you start testing this version. That way if you do run into major problems you can always go back to the stable 6.0.2

Please post issues related to 6.5 in this thread and keep comments related to the general use of GSAK in the main GSAK thread here

For a complete run down on the additions, changes, and fixes please see http://gsak.net/ver650/hs1060.htm

Download here

Edited by ClydeE

Was just trying out the new version and I still cannot load GPX files directly from a web site. Here are the steps I do to see the problem (I am using IE6 as my browser)

1) Click the "GPS eXchange File (*.gpx)" icon on a web page.

2) When the File Download dialog box opens, select "Open"

3) The Load GPX/LOC file for GSAK opens to start the import. Click OK.

4) I then get an error that there are no matching files to load.

I get the same results if GSAK has been started or not when I attempt a download.

It can be worked around by saving and then dragging the file over, but would be nice if you could get it working so we can skip this step.

Thanks.

Was just trying out the new version and I still cannot load GPX files directly from a web site. Here are the steps I do to see the problem (I am using IE6 as my browser)

3) The Load GPX/LOC file for GSAK opens to start the import. Click OK.

I get the same results if GSAK has been started or not when I attempt a download.

It can be worked around by saving and then dragging the file over, but would be nice if you could get it working so we can skip this step.

Thanks.

This is a known problem - with IE! Which I'm assuming you are using (which may be wrong). It's not something that GSAK can control.

Checking this out now. So far so good Clyde!

Couple of questions:

This distance column changed from one to two decimal places, but all mine end in zero anyway. Apparently it's not calculating to two decimal places.

What's the extra support for the "All Finds PQ"? I don't see anything special.

Jamie

Clyde, just noticed this with the 6.5 version - right under "Show full change log" in the GSAK Change Log:

| Waypoints in each file |

| DOCUME | 1\Owner\LOCALS |

Hopefully that will show up after the system reformats it.

For info the "DOCUME" appears to be the begining of the path and the "1\Owner\LOCALS" another part of the path: C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\362942.gpx from importing from outlook?

Ok, ok.. last post.

One thing I've noticed since way back, and I'm not sure if this is a GSAK issue, or a setting on my OS (Windows Me) is that whenever I double click on a cache to bring up the page (I don't use the split screen), GSAK will kidnap a browser I already have open.

That is, say I'm looking at GSAK, but I'm also reading the forums. Double-clicking on a cache will open that cache in my window which used to have the forums. I find that very disturbing. Can I change a setting somewhere?

Jamie

Checking this out now. So far so good Clyde!

Couple of questions:

This distance column changed from one to two decimal places, but all mine end in zero anyway. Apparently it's not calculating to two decimal places.

What's the extra support for the "All Finds PQ"? I don't see anything special.

Jamie

The All Finds PQ support is behind-the-scenes. There's some XML differences in the All Finds PQ that are not in regular PQs, most notably with TB handling, so there's some exception code in there to handle them. Obviously, I'm not Clyde, so he may have more to add. Dunno on the other question, sorry.

Ok, ok.. last post.

One thing I've noticed since way back, and I'm not sure if this is a GSAK issue, or a setting on my OS (Windows Me) is that whenever I double click on a cache to bring up the page (I don't use the split screen), GSAK will kidnap a browser I already have open.

That is, say I'm looking at GSAK, but I'm also reading the forums. Double-clicking on a cache will open that cache in my window which used to have the forums. I find that very disturbing. Can I change a setting somewhere?

Jamie

I use firefox as my browser, and it opens all the caches i double click in a new tab or window(which ever way i prefer) that way i dont loose what pages i already have open.

Was just trying out the new version and I still cannot load GPX files directly from a web site.  Here are the steps I do to see the problem (I am using IE6 as my browser)

3) The Load GPX/LOC file for GSAK opens to start the import.  Click OK.

Thanks.

This is a known problem - with IE! Which I'm assuming you are using (which may be wrong). It's not something that GSAK can control.

Yes, as I mentioned in my post, I am using IE6. I know it does work with FireFox. However, I don't have this problem with other programs using IE6 so while it may be a know problem with IE6, there is a way for it to work.

Ok, ok.. last post.

This is a browser dependant setting. If you are using Internet Explorer

go to Tools=>Internet Options=>Advanced, then uncheck the box "Reuse

windows for launching shortcuts"

Clyde, just noticed this with the 6.5 version - right under "Show full change log" in the GSAK Change Log:

| Waypoints in each file |

| DOCUME | 1\Owner\LOCALS |

For info the "DOCUME" appears to be the beginning of the path and the "1\Owner\LOCALS" another part of the path: C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\362942.gpx from importing from outlook?

Not quite sure what you mean by "Hopefully that will show up after the system reformats it"

Could you please email me a copy of the full change log which also has this summary. Go to "File=>Display last change log" see this log and show the full path to where it is (or just right mouse click and select view source and save to another file to email to me)

That was it, thanks. I didn't realize you did MS tech support also! I have some other questions for you then. :rolleyes:

Jamie

I just installed the newe version. The macroeditor is in the wrong map or gsak is surching in the wrong map.

Thanks. The macro editor is being installed to a folder called "editor" in the install folder of GSAK, but it should just be placed in the install folder.

I have corrected the install program, but you can fix this now in your install by moving the file MacroEditor.exe from this folder to the install folder of GSAK.

As the folder "editor" is not required, you can also delete this folder after doing the move.

I am sorry but the two dates in the result of the macro are not correct. I dont know why because i dont know programlanguage.

More information would be helpful (are you getting any dates, what dates are you getting, etc)

I should note that these dates will only be as good as your latest GPX load.

"Found by me" date will only be correct if:

1. Your GSAK database is being updated with GPX files from gc.com (not loc files)

2. You tell GSAK correctly how to match your found logs.

To get item 2 correct make sure you have the "method for matching hidden

and found" caches filled out correctly (Tools=>Options=>General). For

more information see the help file or view this section online here

http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

Ok, ok.. last post.

You can also hold down the SHIFT key while you double click on the waypoint to force IE to open a new window.

This allows you to have a default "reuse window" (avoids having dozens of windows open when you don't want them) and still have control to force a new window whenever you DO want one!

I haven't installed the beta, but I'm interested and curious as to how you can track FTFs as per your macro output sample.

As per the release notes the new FTF field needs to be manually updated.

Unfortunately there are not enough logs provided in a GPX file to conclusively determine if you were first to find. so it can't be done automatically.

|            Waypoints in each file                          |

| DOCUME                          |  1\Owner\LOCALS |

Not quite sure what you mean by "Hopefully that will show up after the system reformats it"

Just never sure what 'formatting' the forum software would do to my centering and attempt to make the text look like the message I received. It did strip all the spacing.

ps. Log file is on its way.

The stats macro is very cool; wish I'd thought of that. 'Course, this means that I'll probably want to combine my default database with my Found database (in a separate temp db) to really get meaningful stats. Or, I guess it could be rewritten to handle found and unfound caches in separate databases. Anyway, nifty and thanks.

I have just added a macro to show some basic database statistics

This macro will only run under version 6.5 and you can download here http://gsak.net/Macros.php

Suggestions for other items to be added are welcome. Sample:

cap32.png

I copied the macro and ran it. Everything looked reasonable except:

Latest find by me: 07/31/2004 - Wapi-hanne

I've really done a bunch of caching since then.

This wasn't any sort of subset issue...it was with my whole database including all finds.

I'll look at the code tomorrow if you haven't already found the problem by then.

I have just added a macro to show some basic database statistics

This macro will only run under version 6.5 and you can download here http://gsak.net/Macros.php

Suggestions for other items to be added are welcome. Sample:

<snip>

I copied the macro and ran it. Everything looked reasonable except:

Latest find by me: 07/31/2004 - Wapi-hanne

I've really done a bunch of caching since then.

This wasn't any sort of subset issue...it was with my whole database including all finds.

I'll look at the code tomorrow if you haven't already found the problem by then.

Yep, tracked down the problem.

There should be a CANCELFILTER after the user notes and just before these dates are calculated.

Unfortunately my "test2" database didn't have any user notes so there was a "CANELFILTER" automatically done.

I have corrected this and uploaded the new version.

Download here http://gsak.net/Macros.php

Thanks for adding the First to Find column. I had previously been tracking those in notes, but that information didn't stand out at a glance, nor was it searchable.

I added the FTF column to my "Found Caches" database, but when I copied those waypoints (filtered for FTF) to another database using the "Database=>Move/Copy Waypoints..." function, everything copied except the FTF checkmark. Not really a big deal, but I thought you might like to know.

Thanks for adding the "Waypoints in each file" to the New Summary dialog. It has already alerted me that one of my PQ's has grown to over the 500 limit. How about a pop up warning whenever a PQ with 500 caches is detected?

I would prefer not to include something as intrusive as a pop up. I think perhaps a better solution might be to highlight the count in red or similar.

Thanks for adding the First to Find column. I had previously been tracking those in notes, but that information didn't stand out at a glance, nor was it searchable.

I added the FTF column to my "Found Caches" database, but when I copied those waypoints (filtered for FTF) to another database using the "Database=>Move/Copy Waypoints..." function, everything copied except the FTF checkmark. Not really a big deal, but I thought you might like to know.

Thanks.

It sounds like you did the Move/Copy before opening that database with 6.5 beta.

Because this was one of the new fields added it would not be in the destination database until you opened it at least once in 6.5 and GSAK does the "Adding new fields" thing. Once open the move/copy should work as expected.

Thanks.

It sounds like you did the Move/Copy before opening that database with 6.5 beta.

Because this was one of the new fields added it would not be in the destination database until you opened it at least once in 6.5 and GSAK does the "Adding new fields" thing. Once open the move/copy should work as expected.

Right again Clyde! Thanks for the help.

I am not sure if this belongs in this forum, or the other GSAK forum, but here goes.

Clyde, I have a 'wish this were fixed' item.

When I close GSAK, I get a lot of popups indicating the status of the various closedown functions that it goes through. 'Saving this and that such a thing...' type of stuff. They can be fairly annoying when I am already on some other task, and suddenly I am not active on my current window becasue a popup has hijacked the desktop.

Perhaps I am missing something. Is there a way to disable these messages?

Edited by Mr Lost
I am not sure if this belongs in this forum, or the other GSAK forum, but here goes.

When I close GSAK, I get a lot of popups indicating the status of the various closedown functions that it goes through. 'Saving this and that such a thing...' type of stuff. They can be fairly annoying when I am already on some other task, and suddenly I am not active on my current window becasue a popup has hijacked the desktop.

Hmm, I am not aware of any "close down" pop ups.

The only function that GSAK performs at close down is a backup if you have set this feature on. You can enable/disable this feature and how often automatic backups are done via Tools=>Options=>General

cap33.png

Thanks for adding the "Waypoints in each file" to the New Summary dialog. It has already alerted me that one of my PQ's has grown to over the 500 limit. How about a pop up warning whenever a PQ with 500 caches is detected?

My thanks as well for the new summary dialog - I've already discovered that one of my saved loads was accidentally loading a folder of files instead of a single file. I could have seen this by the number of waypoints being updated if I'd been paying close attention, but the new summary dialog made the mistake obvious!

PS - I agree with avoiding pop-ups, and like the idea of highlighting PQ's of 500 caches in red (I know some of my PQ's are at the 500 limit, and wouldn't want to be annoyed with a pop-up).

Great work, Clyde, as usual!

Hmm, I am not aware of any "close down" pop ups.

The only function that GSAK performs at close down is a backup if you have set this feature on. You can enable/disable this feature and how often automatic backups are done via Tools=>Options=>General

cap33.png

Thanks. I'll set it that way. What are the risks assosciated with not backing up on closedown? Is my entire database going to be at risk?

Thanks. I'll set it that way. What are the risks assosciated with not backing up on closedown? Is my entire database going to be at risk?

Hard to give a definitive answer on that.

The risk is mainly associated if you have a power failure while running GSAK and this can sometimes cause corruption of the database. Sometimes the corruption may only be a single waypoint and the Database=>Repair/defrag will fix it.

However, I have seen a system under heavy use that has corrupted the whole database and the only way to get it back is via a restore of a backup.

There are also times when you might want to use it like the Windows system restore to back out changes you made some time back.

Remember, that you can also do a manual backup at any time via File=>Backup.

I have corrected the install program, but you can fix this now in your install by moving the file MacroEditor.exe from this folder to the install folder of GSAK.

I didn't download the beta until about an hour ago 5pm PST and I still had to manually move the macro execute file to the root dir of GSAK. I looked down through the thread and only saw one link to the beta download and that was in the initial message of the thread.

So, did I really get the latest version of the beta?

This is NOT a complaint by ANY means - love the program, use it constantly.

Great job Clyde

I didn't download the beta until about an hour ago 5pm PST and I still had to manually move the macro execute file to the root dir of GSAK. I looked down through the thread and only saw one link to the beta download and that was in the initial message of the thread.

So, did I really get the latest version of the beta?

This is NOT a complaint by ANY means - love the program, use it constantly.

Great job Clyde

Yes.

Just to give you all an overall picture of how I plan to handle the beta release:

I will wait until I get enough feedback on issues (or a major bug) then release another build that addresses these issues.

I am very close to that stage now, so expect to see another build soon.

The latest public beta of GSAK version 6.5.0 is build 48. You can confirm this by taking the menu option Help=>About. This build has all the issues that have been brought up in this thread (and a couple of other minor ones sent to me by email).

When I release a new build it will be done in this thread and I will itemise each issue that has been addressed.

I will continue with this process until I am happy this version is "stable" and will then produce a "final" version that will be for the general public and available from my web site.

Following on....

If you have downloaded 6.5 beta then I strongly suggest you track this topic so you can keep up with the beta builds and issues raised.

When you track a topic emails are sent to you informing you that a new post has been added to the topic.

Not sure how to track a topic?

At the bottom left of this page you will see this symbol:

cap34.png

Click on this image and you will then see this:

cap35.png

Now just click on the "Track this topic" link.

Removing your macro editor from gsak's hard code gave me a little hope. I can at lest do a work around hack to use my editor. But, I am still hoping for more then that.

The internet has more then 20 FREE editors that are powerful, easy to read and easier to use. All can be configured to program gsak macros. Gsak should not make it hard for the macro programmer to use his editor-of-choice, instead it should make things easier.

So, what I'm asking for is a configuration file/requester asking the path and name of the users editor so when an error occurs gsak will output the error to the programmers editor.

Removing your macro editor from gsak's hard code gave me a little hope. I can at lest do a work around hack to use my editor. But, I am still hoping for more then that.

The internet has more then 20 FREE editors that are powerful, easy to read and easier to use. All can be configured to program gsak macros. Gsak should not make it hard for the macro programmer to use his editor-of-choice, instead it should make things easier.

So, what I'm asking for is a configuration file/requester asking the path and name of the users editor so when an error occurs gsak will output the error to the programmers editor.

There are issues involved here because GSAK "communicates" with its own editor. As this is outside the scope of changes for this release, I will add this to "the list", so it won't show up in 6.5

I can consistantly make the new Beta Crash

Windows XP

Database with > 7000 caches in it

View selected with ALL fields active

EXPORT to CSV overwriting existing file.

EDIT:

I discovered later that the file I was trying to export to was already open in another application.

Unfortunatly, GSAK doesn't seem to be able to find Outlook to send the debug file to Clyde.

EurekaLog 4.6.4

Application:

-------------------------------------------------------

1.1 Start Date : Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:04:49 -0800

1.2 Name/Description: gsak.exe

1.3 Version Number : 6.5.0.48

1.4 Parameters :

Exception:

----------------------------------------------

2.1 Date : Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:06:18 -0800

2.2 Address: 007270C6

2.3 Module : gsak.exe

2.4 Type : EInOutError

2.5 Message: I/O error 32.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko
I can consistantly make the new Beta Crash

Windows XP

Database with > 7000 caches in it

View selected with ALL fields active

EXPORT to CSV overwriting existing file.

EDIT:

I discovered later that the file I was trying to export to was already open in another application.

Unfortunatly, GSAK doesn't seem to be able to find Outlook to send the debug file to Clyde.

EurekaLog 4.6.4

Thanks.

The I/O Error 32 is a bit vague but this is the second time this problem has come up today - for the exact same reason.

I will trap this error and provide an error message something like:

"Error writing file. Most common cause is having it open in another application"

Is it possible to see Load Summary after downloading gpx-file from gmail? I download these gpx at startup GSAK automaticly with Getmail.

By default all messages are suppressed in the macro language.

However, you can still get the load summary when using the GETMAIL macro command by adding ShowStats=Yes

Please see the syntax for this command in the help file for more information

Also, don't forget at any time you can view the full change log (which also contains the load summary at the end) by taking the menu option "File=>Display last change log"

Hi Clyde,

When I click the "Show Full Change Log" link in the "Load Summary", it loads the "C:\Program Files\GSAK\data\[dbname]\Log.htm" in Internet Explorer, even though my default browser is FireFox.

When I type "C:\Program Files\GSAK\data\[dbname]\Log.htm" in the Start|Run box, FireFox starts no problem.

Is there an option in GSAK to fix this?

Oh, and while I'm at it.. could you make the mouse cursor snap to the active buttons (if option is set in the mouse properties)? If not, you might have a reason, if you don't mind sharing it.

Thanks for an extremly useful software! Keep up the good work!