Firearms In The Woods?

willyum

I carry a pistol in the car, locked and loaded within easy reach at a moments notice, 'cause if you need it and it's unloaded or in the glove box or under the seat, you don't in fact have it! If you ever need a gun it's liable to happen fast and unexpected and there will be no time to get ready.

I totally agree.

It taught me to wear an orange hat even when not hunting (I always wear at least the hat, sometimes an orange vest when hunting)

This is an easy way to avoid being shot at. It is a universal safety precaution to make sure you are easily identifiable as a human, because not too many deer wear orange. Another point, make sure during hunting season that your local state park is not hosting a deer kill. In Indiana, some parks hold one or a couple days where hunters are allowed to hunt WITHIN the state park, as a population control tactic (deer, people, deer! :lol: ) Orange vests and/or hats are cheap and can really pay off. ERR ON THE SIDE OF SAFETY!

Edited by Miss Eagerbeaver

I've had two encounters with mountain lions here in socal. The first one I encountered about 15 years ago backed down real quick - but it was a young one.

I had another encounter (about 2 years ago) and it was scarier. I had two of my little dogs with me (who think they're dressed in a Rottweiler suit) which looked mighty tasty to the cat I'm guessing but they were making such a ruckus he stayed his distance. But not far enough! We'd move forward he'd move forward. I tried everything...screaming, hands waving, charging him (with dogs) throwing things. About 20 minutes went by and some other folks came up the trail thinking I was plum off my rocker before I pointed him out. We were all able to make him hightail it.

After that and when I know I'm caching in the hills, I never leave home without packing. I would only use it as an absolute LAST RESORT though.

I am, however, the only geocacher I know of who has been shot while geocaching, and a gun would have done me no good whatsoever!

Here is another.

Actually, It sounds to me like neither instance is one of someone getting shot; in both cases, it sounds as it the shooters were unaware of the geocachers' presence. :P

An interesting question would be, "How many cachers have ever needed a weapon while caching in the woods (or elsewhere)?"

Oh, I can answer that one!

ME!

Along with Planet, IV Warrior, and several other cachers.

As is most often the case, the simple realization that one in our party was armed had the poor misunderstood yutes mutants off looking for easier targets to rob. No shots fired. Nobody died. And most important, none of our party was robbed or injured.

edit: As a matter of fact, after going back and reading her logs, I'm not entirely sure that even now Planet has any idea what almost happened that night.

In your instance, Mopar, it sounds like it was knowledge of the weapon being present that deterred the would be rascals, not the weapon itself. Did you (or whoever) draw the weapon, or display it in some fashion? Would it have been just as effective if it were a fake, or imaginary weapon? Assuming the bad guys had a weapon (displayed) would you have put yourself in the situation of a stand off? :lol::D

... In your instance, Mopar, it sounds like it was knowledge of the weapon being present that deterred the would be rascals, not the weapon itself. Did you (or whoever) draw the weapon, or display it in some fashion? Would it have been just as effective if it were a fake, or imaginary weapon? Assuming the bad guys had a weapon (displayed) would you have put yourself in the situation of a stand off? :lol::D

I assume that there is a hierarchy involved in this situation. Some would-be attackers would be scared off if one announces that he has a weapon, others would require it to be seen, while still others would force one to use it.

As for the idea of having a fake weapon, I believe it to be a bad one because one would not know if the bluff would work.

...As for the idea of having a fake weapon, I believe it to be a bad one because one would not know if the bluff would work.

And the antithesis: If the weapon is real and displayed, are you willing to use it? Training to use firearms properly and safely is not necessarily the same as training to use a firearm against another armed, hostile human being. :D:lol:

And the antithesis: If the weapon is real and displayed, are you willing to use it? Training to use firearms properly and safely is not necessarily the same as training to use a firearm against another armed, hostile human being. :D:lol:

I agree with that point completely. No one should carry a weapon that they are not well practiced with and willing to use as necessary.

Training to use firearms properly and safely is not necessarily the same as training to use a firearm against another armed, hostile human being.  :D  :lol:

That's a peculiar question. If I'm facing an armed, hostile person, why would it be better that I not be armed myself unless I had a bunch of combat training?

Auntie's Firearms Course 101: you squeeze the thing, and the stuff comes out the front. It's not much, but if it's a choice between "he shoots or we both shoot" I'll take "squeeze the thing" thanks.

Now, I've always wondered if I could pull the trigger on somebody. I'm not sure but what years and years of going to a fussy indoor range where the club president is a lawyer hasn't given me the grandaddy of all flinches. If it came down to pure reflex, I'd probably lose. But if I have time to think size up the situation...yes. Squeeze the thing. For sure.

Auntie's Firearms Course 101: you squeeze the thing, and the stuff comes out the front. It's not much, but if it's a choice between "he shoots or we both shoot" I'll take "squeeze the thing" thanks.

You're my hero! :lol:

I release psychotic inmates everyday. There are homeless people living in the woods all over the place. In my 14 years of experience with the mentally ill I believe that homeless is a choice not bad luck. That choice is a highly irrational. A sign of mental illness.

I carry a firearm every where. I have seen released inmates every where I have been in this state. I can assure everyone that the same is true for every state.

I am not afraid of any animal except humans. Animal behavior is very predictable. There is nothing predictable about the mentally ill. I was punched in the back of the head by one a little over a month ago. No warning signs. I was not maintaining eye contact. There for I was not prepared.

If you pull it out, you'd better be ready to squeeze it!

I think that has always been the #1 rule of using a pistol for self-defense. To go a step farther, I was taught that if you shoot in self-defense at close range, put three rounds into your target before pausing to decide the next action. That was in the days when the .38 spl. was the standard ... might not be necessary with a .40 or .45. A person who is unsure of their ability to pull the trigger should not carry a pistol for self-defense. Seems like a simple concept, but studies have shown that many folks can't do it, even with training.

I don't carry a pistol geocaching. I agree with the logic others have stated in this thread ... that if I think I need a pistol to go into an area ... don't go there. Having said that, in 4+ years of geocaching, I have been in a couple of situations in surburban parks where I wished I had one. Turned out to be false alarms, but ...

If I had to contend with the mountain lions out west, I might change my policy.

FWIW, CharlieP

Does anyone carry a "plant"?

Down here they're called a throw-down, and are fairly commonly carried by cops.

As a Case Monitor for the Department of Youth Services I used to ride with local police and it wasn't at all uncommon for them to have an unregistered, untraceable pistol they'd taken off of some perp that they kept handy in case a throw-down was ever needed.

I know of one LT that kept a box of them in his car in case his men ever needed one.

Two to the chest, Two to the head.

Nice logic if your shooting paper hanging still at a target range!

Wouldn't try it on anything that's moving fast, coming at you at a run...or after the first hit, when he's flopping and writhing all over the place and the only way you'll hit his head is if you are standing over him, one foot holding him down!

Unlike the movies folks don't just stand there and let you shoot 'em four times then gently slump to te ground!

Two to the chest, Two to the head.

Nice logic if your shooting paper hanging still at a target range!

Wouldn't try it on anything that's moving fast, coming at you at a run...or after the first hit, when he's flopping and writhing all over the place and the only way you'll hit his head is if you are standing over him, one foot holding him down!

Unlike the movies folks don't just stand there and let you shoot 'em four times then gently slump to te ground!

I wasn't referring to the movies.

I can let off those four shots in just under 2 seconds. Additionally tactically flanking the target. Moving forward or backward to the target at 45 degrees.

It's very practical and effective. Continued practice can develop "muscle memory" where you can do this without thinking and aiming.

Admittedly the two to the head usually aren't necessary. Even in SERT or SWAT situations the encounter is over rather quickly.

...I can let off those four shots in just under 2 seconds. Additionally tactically flanking the target. Moving forward or backward to the target at 45 degrees...

Do you insert your earplugs and apply eye protection before that maneuver?

I'm not really trying to make light of a very serious situation; TheAlabamaRambler and leatherman are obviously trained in self defense with weapons. These two cachers and others could possibly benefit from packing in the woods while geocaching. But I suspect there are many who legally pack everywhere (or anywhere) who only have the labratory-like experience of methodically preparing for a paper target hunt.

People who don't prepare themselves for actual use of a firearm in real life situations are likely setting themselves up to get shot. Working from that theory (which I've alway been taught), and assuming that that bad guy doesn't really want to shoot you, I'd rather lie down and play dead and hope that the bad guy only wants my money.

If I ever pulled a gun on somebody who also had one, I would most likely be the one to go down. ;):anitongue:

...I can let off those four shots in just under 2 seconds. Additionally tactically flanking the target. Moving forward or backward to the target at 45 degrees...

no offense, but that is a tactical drill.

reality is another story.

one of my partners... 18+ years in law enforcement, 20 years military (active and reserve), a member of an Army shooting team, well trained in the use of firearms and a tactical genius was involved in an on duty shooting several years ago in NYC. the officer stumbled upon a shooting in progress where several people were being shot in an automobile at point blank range. taking cover, and returning fire at several yards... several... like 3 yards... maybe 9 to 10 feet away... he fired five shots... one spiraled up the shooters extended arm, and one removed the shooters nose... 3 shots were unaccounted for on the shooter. he missed three times at 9 feet. the officer is one of the best shooters i have ever encountered. his blood pressure read normal and stable after the shooting.

keep practicing, because that is how you avoid missing 5 times. most police related shootings occur at extremely close range, and both the cops and perps miss frequently.

(edit) at the scenes of shootings i have seen cars, buses, windows, walls, innocent bystanders, dogs, baby carriages, lights, garbage bags and even a priest hit by stray bullets. BRASS. (Breathe, Relax, Aim, Slack and Squeeze) is a great drill.(edit)

i have been to the scene of MANY shootings. MANY. I have never seen a tight group in the 13 years i have been a police officer.

i do carry a weapon everywhere... it is actually a condition of my employment that i be armed on and off duty in NYC. i am well trained, and well versed in tactics. i pray to GOD that i never have to face a firearm from the business end. by all means i do not want you to stop practicing, but be a little more realistic. targets have never fired a weapon at me that i know of. targets are predictable.

Edited by robree
Working from that theory (which I've alway been taught), and assuming that that bad guy doesn't really want to shoot you, I'd rather lie down and play dead and hope that the bad guy only wants my money.

Jesus. You'd rather take a bullet, lie down and play dead than take the risk that you'd miss if you shot back? Because -- I'm guessing -- shooting back might make him angry and he'd fire a second time? You're taking a chance he won't shoot you someplace that makes you scream in pain while he rifles your pockets, aren't you? I mean, assuming he doesn't actually manage to kill you with the first shot.

Or were you going to lie down and play dead just on spec, without being fired at? Tough sell, that one.

...People who don't prepare themselves for actual use of a firearm in real life situations are likely setting themselves up to get shot.  Working from that theory (which I've alway been taught), and assuming that that bad guy doesn't really want to shoot you, I'd rather lie down and play dead and hope that the bad guy only wants my money....:

The way I see it, if the bad guy only wants your money he's going to mention that at some point in the conversation. In which case I'd hand him my money. That's easy enough and I don't have to worry about things like "can I draw, aim, shoot and actually hit before he can pull the trigger on the gun he's already pointing at me..."

There is a time and place for everthing. The hard part is figuring out what it's time for. Right now though it's easy. It's time to go to work.

Edited by Renegade Knight
I am, however, the only geocacher I know of who has been shot while geocaching, and a gun would have done me no good whatsoever!

Here is another.

Uhhh, did anyone read his log and see this:

'''While signing the cache log, we heard the distinct and recognizable crackle of .22 caliber, CB cap, rifle fire originating from a home about 200 yards away. We instinctively sought cover and prepared to return fire.'''

Maybe I missed something but where do you live/ go geocaching that when you hear a shot, you instinctively prepare to return fire?

Having lost a close friend to a crazed teenager, with his Daddy's 12 guage shotgun, running away from home because Daddy was sending him off to Military school ..... on a rural road at 1 o'clock in the afternoon....

YES I always carry a loaded firearm!

Better to have a gun and not need it, then to need a gun and not have it.

YOU have the right to do whatever YOU feel is best for you. I"m protecting ME!

;) ImpalaBob ..... with concealed weapons permit.

Maybe I missed something but where do you live/ go geocaching that when you hear a shot, you instinctively prepare to return fire?

My instinct is to get real small and look for a deep hole real quick!

Like the guy that gets shot at in a parking lot, runs inside a bar and shouts "Where's the back door?". The bartender says "We don't have one" and the guy says "Where do you want it ??!"

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Here is another.

'''While signing the cache log, we heard the distinct and recognizable crackle of .22 caliber, CB cap, rifle fire originating from a home about 200 yards away. We instinctively sought cover and prepared to return fire.'''

New Jersey, where else? ;)

Here is another.

New Jersey, where else? :mad:

:o;);) Too funny ...

Working from that theory (which I've alway been taught), and assuming that that bad guy doesn't really want to shoot you, I'd rather lie down and play dead and hope that the bad guy only wants my money.

Jesus. You'd rather take a bullet, lie down and play dead than take the risk that you'd miss if you shot back? Because -- I'm guessing -- shooting back might make him angry and he'd fire a second time? You're taking a chance he won't shoot you someplace that makes you scream in pain while he rifles your pockets, aren't you? I mean, assuming he doesn't actually manage to kill you with the first shot.

Or were you going to lie down and play dead just on spec, without being fired at? Tough sell, that one.

Since I don't, and probably won't ever carry, the point is moot.

But if I was carrying, the problem wouldn't be accuracy on my part; I'm actually a pretty good shot with a variety of types of handguns and rifles. My point is, if two people are pointing weapons at each other, there will likely be shots fired. If someone is pointing a weapon at me, and I'm cooperative (without a weapon), I'd reckon the chances of no shots being fired are greatly enhanced.

Yes, I'll remain cooperative and speculate that there will be no shots, rather than present an oppertunity that encourages a showdown. Paint me an easy target. ;);)

Yes, I'll remain cooperative and speculate that there will be no shots, rather than present an oppertunity that encourages a showdown.  Paint me an easy target.  ;)  ;)

If someone is looking into my eye with a gun pointed at me, I suspect I would cooperate too. At least until I got a better feel for what he intended. Eagle eye and reflexes of a cat I haven't got. If he fires at me, though, it's pretty clear what he intends. I'm probably screwed anyway, so why not try to get a shot off?

I doubt anyone here is anticipating standing in the middle of a trail, High Noon style, trying to win a quick-draw competition.

I run into folks in the desert all the time that have weapons. We just wave hello and go about our business.

As far as snakes, I have seen 4 rattlers in the past year. Again, we wave at each other and go about our business.

A couple of my caching buddies carry weapons while caching "because of all the hoodlums". Thier choice, and it doesn't bother me.

Auntie Weasel wrote:

"If someone is looking into my eye with a gun pointed at me, I suspect I would cooperate too"

I once took a woman’s safety class and the main thing I remember is the statement: “Never allow yourself to be taken to the crime scene.” This was meant to be urban safety, so I suppose you could say you are already at the crime scene if you are in the woods, but the point was if someone points a gun at you you should “run and start screaming.” The instructor said the same thing that robree wrote; that even highly trained LEO’s will miss a running target at least 50% of the time, ( I don’t remember the exact percentage, but the odds were in my favor), since the bad guy isn’t as well trained, and is very likely to be extremely nervous to boot, I’m running if ever in that situation!

Edited by Geo Froggy

Hello everyone (mostly to you in U.S.)

I'm a geocacher in Sweden (for you who doesn't know, it´s a country in northern Europe). For me, your discussion about carrying weapons in the wild is very odd. We don't have the same amount of large dangerous mammals or predators in Sweden but we do have bears and the statistic is the same for both U.S. and Sweden. It's extremely unusual that people get killed by animals compared to the amount of people hiking in the wild.

I think you are more safe if you learn about how to NOT get to close to a bear than you are if you learn how to shoot.

Then there is two other problems. First, if everyone is carrying guns, the criminals will get larger ones, then you get larger ones etc. Finally you will get at bazooka in you face when some one is stealing your wallet.

The other problem, as I see it (from my transatlantic point of view in a probably quite rusty english), is that you guys wont feel like men if you're not carry something of steel. How many women are carrying a gun or a riffle when geocaching? I'm sorry to say it but a weapon wont make you more of a man....

Anders

Edited by Anders-Maria
<Snip off-topic rant>

How many women are carrying a gun or a riffle when geocaching?  <SNIP nore rant>

Anders

My wife at "Cola's Cache" at Pleasure Beach :

dd509c0e-c895-4c3c-9e17-0157628be3e4.jpg

My wife at Rags to Riches!:

343667ef-904b-4262-a555-ffd9e9bdb883.jpg

My wife at virtually every other cache (and any other time she leaves the house), those happen to be the few I have of her openly carrying. Usually it's concealed.

Edited by Mopar
I'm a geocacher in Sweden (for you who doesn't know, it´s a country in northern Europe).

Hi, Anders and/or Maria. I'm from the United States. That's a country of 300 million people who are not nearly as stupid as you have been told. I'm a middle-aged woman and I would certainly carry a gun if I could get a license to do so, but sadly, America is not the Wild West and permits are difficult to come by in my state. It's a shame, because crime is lower in areas that allow citizens to carry weapons.

The proposition that ordinary people owning guns forces criminals to get bigger guns isn't borne out in the real world. Ask Switzerland. That's a small European country sandwiched between France, Germany, Austria and Italy. With mandatory gun ownership for adult males.

Then there is two other problems. First, if everyone is carrying guns, the criminals will get larger ones, then you get larger ones etc. Finally you will get at bazooka in you face when some one is stealing your wallet.

The other problem, as I see it (from my transatlantic point of view in a probably quite rusty english), is that you guys wont feel like men if you're not carry something of steel. How many women are carrying a gun or a riffle when geocaching? I'm sorry to say it but a weapon wont make you more of a man.......

Interesting assumptions.

Criminals will use the tools available. Guns, Knives, Hammers, Shovels, clubs, fists. The reasons any given society has a lot of crime is cultural/social and not a function of the tools available. You happen to have a very nice society in that regard. Criminals use what they can get but they also want it to be effective. Thus a 500 magnum pistol is less likely than a 9mm even though it's bigger.

If bigger were better the Military branch of virtually every country would not use the rifles they do. The typcial hunting rifle is far more powerful.

Manhood is about a lot of things but if a person defines it by their weapon they fall short of being a man.

Edited by Renegade Knight
...you guys wont feel like men if you're not carry something of steel...

I guess those old westerns are still running over there, mate. In today's modern American society, if a man wants to feel like a man, he might just as likely wear earrings and carry a purse.

Although I do wear (one) an earring, I have not yet decided to carry a purse (or a gun); and my testosterone level seems to be just fine, thank you. :rolleyes::ph34r:

My wife at virtually every other cache (and any other time she leaves the house), those happen to be the few I have of her openly carrying. Usually it's concealed.

Yikes! I hope she never gets mad at you, brother. :ph34r:

Back OT: I think as long as carrying is done legally, so be it. Personally, I packed a smallish firearm in my early backpacking days. While I lived in Alaska, I was known to carry a black powder .44 pistol during active Grizzly or wolverine periods while in the bush. Otherwise, during any time of bird season (waterfowl, ptarmagin), I always had a shotgun handy, so a sidearm was unnecessary.

Early on, I was concerned about people. Later in life, I was concerned more about certain animals. Currently, I am not much concerned about either. Besides, firearms weigh a lot, and I generally have a knife on me. Up close and personal, I am pretty handy with a knife, if a situation calls for it. If it is an animal, most tend in these parts to go the opposite direction of humans. If a person, and they are armed with bad intent, then I suppose getting distance (running like heck) and putting cover between me and them is the best option, not to mention if you just "wing" the other party, you can get tied up in court. :rolleyes: I have confidence in my self-defense skills for when required (have not been required yet in the woods).

For those that do not have such confidence or an area where larger animals can potentially eat them, more power to those folks for legally carrying a firearm.

Often you can distract a North American Black Bear by tossing marshmallows or Fig Newtons at them.  If that doesn't work then play dead.

Mmmm hmm. That way they can learn that by attacking humans, they get a treat. Do not ever let a bear get any food or garbage.

I also suggest that if you are not used to carrying and using a firearm, please take a class and practice! Also, when hiking, make sure your firearm is accessable. A bear wont let you dig through your coat and underneath layers or back pack straps to get to your gun.

I now carry in the woods since the day I was orienteering with a group of scouts and we were set upon by two domesticated dogs. We were in the middle of the woods, nowhere near their homes and they ended up biting one kid. Two other adults and I chased them off with large sticks. They had the pack mentality thing going on. You could see it in their tactics toward the victim. We have lotsa coyotes in eastern Mass. that roam in packs. Tough to beat off a pack with a big stick so I carry, just in case. bugaroos

QUOTE=sept1c_tank,Nov 15 2005, 12:50 AM] An interesting question would be, "How many cachers have ever needed a weapon while caching in the woods (or elsewhere)?"

I live in Alaska, where there are PLENTY of bears, both brown (grizzly) and black. I've run into bears many times while out hiking. Also moose, which can be as dangerous and more unpredictable. I haven't ever had to defend myself but would have no compunction about doing so if the need arose. Believe me, coming over a rise to see a bear WILL get the ol' adrenaline rushing and the heart to pounding. I have a co worker whose husband was tore up pretty bad, people die EVERY year here from bear attacks. Carrying concealed is legal here, with no permit needed even. It's just a way of life for some.

Moose in my yard.

Img_0067.jpg

Here is a picture of a bear that I took from MY TENT! It's kind of hard to see as it was in the middle of the night (Alaskan night) but it is on the first rise, kind of right/center. And I took that AFTER I was sure he was going AWAY from my tent. He had been closer but I didn't want to stop watching him to dig for my camera.

Bear2.jpg

And here is another one that I took of a mamma grizzly and 3 cubs. Triplets are a bit unusal. They were romping and chasing each other. Cute, only because I was inside a vehicle.

IM002266_0159.jpg

Edited by 1stimestar