Garmin City Select - V6 Vs V7

W4G_SOTAGoat

No. Version 7 has an updated map set. For example, in Hoston, a very handy toll road was added in version 7, that my version 6 doesnt know about. Also, my ex-wife's neighborhood, which isn't shown on my version 6, shows up in 7. It's about a year old. Also, I understand that version 7 has more and new points of interest.

You can go on Garmin's site and preview the maps in version 7 if you are in an area with newer roads.

Edit: If you bought Ver. 6 after June 1, 2005, Garmin will update you to version 7 for free.

Edited by Sputnik 57

I have just bought V7 and didn't own 6 so I can't really compare the two.

It's one of those things like new versions of Window's though. If you don't necessarily NEED to update it, I wouldn't spend the bucks.

I kind of doubt there's that many new roads and features on 7 that would have made me spend the extra money on the upgrades.

About a month ago the whole Sevateem was out caching. When it was time to head home (after a night cache). Two of us did the "find home" thing on our GPSs. The Vista C with V7 gave a differnt route than the 60CS with V6. :rolleyes: . Not that it really means anything ,just that there are changes in V7.

I kinda needed to upgrade from Version 5 to Vers. 7.

There are many errors with Version 5 in the Detroit Michigan area,

like broken connections in the autorouting data, even where the road looks solid on the GPS screen, and also there are exits missing.

Between Versions 5 and 7, several roads have been altered in the Detroit area, so I think it's a good idea to go from 5 to 7.

I've never used v6 but I can tell you that v7 is far from perfect. It thinks Meyers Street in my town is an extension of Otterson Drive - even though there is a creek between them and Meyers has been in existence for at least 40 years longer than Otterson. It also always wants to route folks onto the freeway via the 5th Avenue onramp even though there has never been an onramp at 5th Avenue.

I kinda needed to upgrade from Version 5 to Vers. 7.

Bad News/Good News

Bad news. No direct upgrade route (Get it, "route". Sorry) from 5 to 7. You have to buy a complete version.

Good News. You can get a complete version right away. The upgrades, however, are on a 4 to 6 week backorder (I've been waiting 3 now).

All the errors mentioned, while frustrating, seem minor. If going from 6 to 7 the cost is now $50.

Bad news. No direct upgrade route (Get it, "route". Sorry) from 5 to 7. You have to buy a complete version.

Are you sure? AFAIK, Garmin's policy has been to allow an upgrade of any version of City Select to the latest version.

As to the specific errors, I'd encourage everyone to make use of the feedback forms available from the map suppliers. NavTeq supplies the maps for Garmin's CitySelect/Navigator & MetroGuide and Magellan's DirectRoute & 3D Topo. Their feedback form is at:

http://update.navteq.com/

How much more memory does version 7 use up than version 6? When I upgraded from 5 to 6, it used up about 30% more memory, making my map coverage area smaller on my GPSr. If 7 uses another 30% more memory than version 6, it isn't worth it to me to upgrade. I'd rather give up a little accuracy in order to have more maps.

I'd like to bring this question up again. Are you sure?? There is no mention of needing to have the latest version to upgrade on Garmin's site.

Edited by Red90

I'd like to bring this question up again. Are you sure?? There is no mention of needing to have the latest version to upgrade on Garmin's site.

I upgraded without issue from v5 to v7. I will make one suggestion: if you do not find that the new version has roads you were missing with v5, I'd stick with that. I find that the autorouting with v7 on my 60c in many cases fails to generate either the shortest or fastest route- a problem which was much less common in v5 and often results in a very circuitous route which I've noted has been as much as approximately 20% longer than a v5 generated route.