Cache-dense Cities/towns/parks

greengenes

A friend and I recently went on a weekend caching trip to Morristown, TN. We managed to snag 105 in a total of twenty hours of searching. Granted, most of them were park-n-grabs, but it was a lot of fun (and exhausting). So, where are the other cache-dense places? I'd like to take another trip like this sometime.

Out on my end of the continent I've had the delight of hunting in two cache-dense zones - Seattle and Las Vegas. Seattle is a larger, denser hunting ground than Vegas, but Vegas is the easier city to drive around in. I'm the kind of cacher who likes to grab a lot of caches, but I prefer ones with history/neat views/nifty parks etc.; ones that enhance my visit to a particular region (for example - rail to trail caches, military history caches, American/local history caches - and of course benchmarks!)

If you can get out to Vegas on business (those great graphics industry shows! I've done several...), rent a car and have fun doing both urban caches and the really different desert caches out there (well, different as far as this Alaskan cacher is concerned). We averaged 4 full-size caches an hour on a recent cache run there - for two days straight - while seeing absolutely fantastic scenery in the desert and mountain regions west of Las Vegas. The cachers out there have done a terrific job of putting out caches in scenic and interesting locations.

Seattle... well, that entire region is one gigantic happy hunting ground! Micros, puzzles, regulars, virtuals... they're everywhere! It requires good nav skills with excellent forward planning - the road network in that area hasn't kept up with the demands that growth has placed on it. Seems like there's a cache machine running in a different area every other weekend out there!. Check their region on the forum.

Just got back from a weeklong visit to Arizona; that yielded some awesome spectacular views (that of course just happened to have good caches nearby too!).

Happy hunting!

Nashville, TN and Jacksonville, FL appear to be full of easy caches. Although they appear to be "lame micros" - its not stopping me from planning to grab them. I see over 800 easy ones within 25 miles of Nashville

I've been told that there are some hikes in CA where you can grab a hundred finds.

CiC

Edited by CraigInCT

I see you're in Louisville. I recommend a roadtrip through Ohio: Cincinnati to Columbus to Cleveland/Akron. Or, spend just a few days concentrating on Cleveland, Akron and nearby Erie Pennsylvania (to add to your state count). In my last trip to Erie, I picked up 50+ finds in a day and a half, solo, without really trying (i.e., there were some "long hike" caches that were my main goal, and I did some extra sightseeing). With planning and a caching partner, you could easily rack up 200 or more caches during a long weekend in this area.

Thanks for all of the info!

I'll be in Nashville this coming Saturday. hmmmm.

And just in case you've never been caching in Louisville, there are 200 within a 4.5 mile radius of my house alone (I didn't realize it until yesterday, but that's even more dense than Morristown, TN). Not many park-n-grabs at all. Most of them are in our great parks system. Cherokee Park, Seneca Park, Iroquois Park, and we even have a "Geo" Park which is a closed-down country club where you can walk the overgrown golf course and find some VERY interesting and well-placed caches within a couple of hours.

In the Knoxville, TN area we have two "geocache parks" originally designed for mountain biking and such, but now utilized for caching as well.

South of the city there is IC King Park, which has about 14 caches, I think.

Northwest of the city, there is Haw Ridge Park, which has 13 caches.

Not to mention the rest of the 3770 caches within 100 miles of my Knoxville zipcode.

Edit to add:

I hear there will be an Amazing Geoquest in Knoxville in April 2006 - along the lines of the Amazing Race.... sounds cool!

Edited by MountainMudbug

WOW this is harder than I thought. I have gone to several areas like Parks or Lakes or hiking/biking trails that had 8-15 caches and I go in say COOL im gona get a bunch today. Ive done that 3 times. and in actuality I left getting 1 cache one of the times and 3 the other two times. BUT it gives me a good reason to go back again and again....

J

Pretty much anywhere in Southern California is quite dense. There are 10,100 caches within 100 miles of 92688 (Orange County). 93160 (Thousand Oaks) has 866 caches within 10 miles, and 479 within a 5 mile radius (I believe the local "one-day" record for cache finds was captured there).

And then there are the (in)famous La Quinta caching trails:

cache_chain.jpg