Etex Vista C

I just found out i'm getting a Vista C for christmas. i've been using a Magellan Meridian Platinum for about 7 years now. this will be my first Garmin and i was wondering if i could get some input on what accessories work well and if there are any tips or tricks for this gpsr. i plan on getting city select, 12vdc cord, neoprene case. anything else that works really well? thanks for the help, beefiness

Get your City Select A.S.A.P. It is being discontinued leaving City Navigator as the only mapping solution with autorouting capabilities. The current version of City Navigator uses very large map segments which effectively wastes memory capacity. As a matter of fact, there are four City Navigator map segments that will not even fit into the VistaC's 24MB! City Select's smaller map segments allow you to select desired areas more precisely, which uses your map memory more efficiently. CLICK HERE to read another thread on the subject.

See Sputnik 57's Frequently Asked Questions about Garmin Map60CS (and Similar) GPS Receivers. The VistaC falls under the "and Similar" category. Lots of good information amassed from other threads that would take you months to find by scouring the forum on your own.

I just found out i'm getting a Vista C for christmas. i've been using a Magellan Meridian Platinum for about 7 years now. this will be my first Garmin and i was wondering if i could get some input on what accessories work well and if there are any tips or tricks for this gpsr. i plan on getting city select, 12vdc cord, neoprene case. anything else that works really well? thanks for the help, beefiness

I own both the eTrex Vista C (I love it) & the GPSmap 60CS (which I love even more). Both of these units are much more than just similar. There is a forum thread for this that I invite you to visit when you have a chance. For you, it will give you more information that is usable for you and not just the 60CS user.

The 12V cord for your car is a must. It will save you many batteries, and also makes the unit sit awkwardly on your dash.

I would reconsider spending money on a neoprene case. The Vista C already has a partial neoprene case. The areas not covered by this are not areas that you need to protect additionally. Covering the antenna in any way *will* reduce your unit's ability to detect and hold a signal. Covering the screen will similarly reduce visability and add little protective ability. I have owned my Vista C for 4 months now, and being careful, have yet to scratch the screen.

Spend the money, instead, on a Sony Cyber-shot camera pouch at Best Buy ($15) that fits on your belt and will hold 6 AA batteries, a PDA, your eTrex Vista, your Sony Cyber-shot T5 camera, an extra memory stick (and adapter), and extra battery for the T5, a magnetic compass, and a mini-flashlight.

You may also consider a battery charging system AA batteries.

gpsr. i plan on getting city select, 12vdc cord, neoprene case. anything else that works really well? thanks for the help, beefiness

Skip/forget about the case.

Get a screen protector of some sort in the form of a PDA screen protector and cut it down, or - even better - get an InvisibleShield. Can't go wrong with either, though I highly recommend the latter.

I disagree. Unless you are rough on your unit, the screen is tough enough to take regular use and some abuse. Adding anything on top of the screen will change the design of the unit (which is designed to withstand a lot of potential scratching). I have yet to scratch mine the tiniest bit. It reduces visability which promotes you using a brighter screen setting and then eating batteries. These Screen Shields are expensive. This company preys on the fears of people scratching their units. You generally won't own this unit long enough to scratching it badly unless you abuse it greatly. Don't waste the money.

gpsr. i plan on getting city select, 12vdc cord, neoprene case. anything else that works really well? thanks for the help, beefiness

Skip/forget about the case.

Get a screen protector of some sort in the form of a PDA screen protector and cut it down, or - even better - get an InvisibleShield. Can't go wrong with either, though I highly recommend the latter.

I disagree. Unless you are rough on your unit, the screen is tough enough to take regular use and some abuse. Adding anything on top of the screen will change the design of the unit (which is designed to withstand a lot of potential scratching). I have yet to scratch mine the tiniest bit. It reduces visability which promotes you using a brighter screen setting and then eating batteries. These Screen Shields are expensive. This company preys on the fears of people scratching their units. You generally won't own this unit long enough to scratching it badly unless you abuse it greatly. Don't waste the money.

That's cool. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes. I just disagree with your disagreement. :signalviolin:

However, given the amount of screen cratches I've accumulated on every cellphone I've ever owned, as well as my Rino 110* (replaced), Rino 130* (replaced), and 60CS, a screen protector is a cheap AND worthwhile investment.

Invisible Shields are just that - transparent. I used PDA protectors cut down on my GPS units, but they do offer a bit of glare - it's there, but tolorable. I don't see that on my 7520 Blackberry now. It disappears.

For the investment - $4 for a pack of PDA protectors, $8 for an invisbileshield, which has a lifetime warranty - it's an easy decision to make. As for "changing the design of the unit" - they don't. One of the Garmin techs I spoke to (while having Rino 130 issues) actually recommened them. He said "They're cheap, and it doesn't affect the reception."

Yeah, it could be said that I'm "hard" on my units - they hang on my belt clip (as does my phone) a lot of the times, and I do tend to bushwack. The Rinos - even with their Bash Guards, still get plenty of unwanted "action." But then, I bought 'em to be rugged. The 60CS, not so much, but it goes with me on out of town trips instead of saying in the truck. And it's a fairly rugged unit.

* - The Rinos were each individually replaced under warranty at different times for different issues, NOT for "screen scratches". The 110 took a 10 minute swim 20ft down in a lake, and the 130 had severe microphone issues. Unfortunately, the 60CS is working flawlessly so I have to live with the small scratch in the middle of the screen.

That's cool.  Everybody has their own likes and dislikes.  I just disagree with your disagreement.  :signalviolin:

However, given the amount of screen cratches I've accumulated on every cellphone I've ever owned, as well as my Rino 110* (replaced), Rino 130* (replaced), and 60CS, a screen protector is a cheap AND worthwhile investment. 

Invisible Shields are just that - transparent.  I used PDA protectors cut down on my GPS units, but they do offer a bit of glare - it's there, but tolorable.  I don't see that on my 7520 Blackberry now.  It disappears.

For the investment - $4 for a pack of PDA protectors, $8 for an invisbileshield, which has a lifetime warranty -  it's an easy decision to make.  As for "changing the design of the unit" - they don't.  One of the Garmin techs I spoke to (while having Rino 130 issues) actually recommened them.  He said "They're cheap, and it doesn't affect the reception."

Yeah, it could be said that I'm "hard" on my units - they hang on my belt clip (as does my phone) a lot of the times, and I do tend to bushwack.  The Rinos - even with their Bash Guards, still get plenty of unwanted "action."  But then, I bought 'em to be rugged.  The 60CS, not so much, but it goes with me on out of town trips instead of saying in the truck.  And it's a fairly rugged unit.

* - The Rinos were each individually replaced under warranty at different times for different issues, NOT for "screen scratches".  The 110 took a 10 minute swim 20ft down in a lake, and the 130 had severe microphone issues.  Unfortunately, the 60CS is working flawlessly so I have to live with the small scratch in the middle of the screen.

You don't disagree with me. 1) You agree totally, 2) you confuse "transparent" with "transmits light 100%," and 3) you misunderstand "design change."

Part 1: You are (self-admitedly) rough on your unit(s). Re-read my comment. "Unless you are rough on your unit ..."

Part 2: These screen covers absorb a certain percentage of light from the display. Imagine it this way. Ask yourself "How many of these covers can I add, one on top of the other, before the light from my unit is reduced to half? Now, guess. Lets say they are well made and fairly transparent. Lets then say that it takes 25 layers to reduce the outgoing light to 50%. That is a little more than 2.5% (2.734) reduction in light. When you choose the lighted setting, with 2.5% reduction easily within human perception, you would (at some rate) choose to view the screen at a higher brightness. Brighter screen = more power comsumption = shorter battery life.

Realize this: the screen itself may be very transparent (99%). How transparent is the glue used to attach the Invisible Shield to your screen? I think we just found out!

Part 3: I said that you are changing the design of the unit, by adding a part (the InvisibleShield) that the unit was designed without. As to your comment that "they" don't change the design of their (Garmin) products: I own an eTrex Vista C, "C" being the operative part of the statement. Before the eTrex Vista C was the eTrex Vista. How do you spell "D-E-S-I-G-N C-H-A-N-G-E???"

Now. Are you rough on your stuff? Are you so rough that you need a neoprene case and "transparent" view screen? Do you *want* to pay high prices for how many lifetime guaranteed screens? Buy them. *Stick* them on your beautiful 60 CS. Fog your screen with the alcohol you use to take the old glue off when you replace the Invisible Shield. While you are doing all that, I'll be enjoying by GPSs, not damaging my screen with the Exacto-Knife when trimming the protector, taking care of my stuff (I wash mine daily), and spending the saved money on a new GPS when I want one.

Different strokes for different folks. I believe this is *enough* said on this topic. :mad:

LifeOnEdge

Radiation Physicist

(I know these things. That's why I make the big bucks!)

Meanwhile, back on the original topic . . .

If you are going to use the unit in you car, you may want to take a look at a RAM mount. These things are rock steady and easy to move from one vehicle to another.

And no offense to LifeOnThe Edge, who has kept his screen scratch-free for four months of gentle use, but I also recommend the Invishield. I dropped my 60C while backpacking a few weeks ago and the cheap PDA screen protector I was using didn't cut it :D .

That's cool.  Everybody has their own likes and dislikes.  I just disagree with your disagreement.  :D

Invisible Shields are just that - transparent.  I used PDA protectors cut down on my GPS units, but they do offer a bit of glare - it's there, but tolorable.  I don't see that on my 7520 Blackberry now.  It disappears.

For the investment - $4 for a pack of PDA protectors, $8 for an invisbileshield, which has a lifetime warranty -  it's an easy decision to make.  As for "changing the design of the unit" - they don't.  One of the Garmin techs I spoke to (while having Rino 130 issues) actually recommened them.  He said "They're cheap, and it doesn't affect the reception."

Yeah, it could be said that I'm "hard" on my units - they hang on my belt clip (as does my phone) a lot of the times, and I do tend to bushwack.  The Rinos - even with their Bash Guards, still get plenty of unwanted "action."  But then, I bought 'em to be rugged.  The 60CS, not so much, but it goes with me on out of town trips instead of saying in the truck.  And it's a fairly rugged unit.

* - The Rinos were each individually replaced under warranty at different times for different issues, NOT for "screen scratches".  The 110 took a 10 minute swim 20ft down in a lake, and the 130 had severe microphone issues.  Unfortunately, the 60CS is working flawlessly so I have to live with the small scratch in the middle of the screen.

You don't disagree with me. 1) You agree totally, 2) you confuse "transparent" with "transmits light 100%," and 3) you misunderstand "design change."

Part 1: You are (self-admitedly) rough on your unit(s). Re-read my comment. "Unless you are rough on your unit ..."

Part 2: These screen covers absorb a certain percentage of light from the display. Imagine it this way. Ask yourself "How many of these covers can I add, one on top of the other, before the light from my unit is reduced to half? Now, guess. Lets say they are well made and fairly transparent. Lets then say that it takes 25 layers to reduce the outgoing light to 50%. That is a little more than 2.5% (2.734) reduction in light. When you choose the lighted setting, with 2.5% reduction easily within human perception, you would (at some rate) choose to view the screen at a higher brightness. Brighter screen = more power comsumption = shorter battery life.

Realize this: the screen itself may be very transparent (99%). How transparent is the glue used to attach the Invisible Shield to your screen? I think we just found out!

Part 3: I said that you are changing the design of the unit, by adding a part (the InvisibleShield) that the unit was designed without. As to your comment that "they" don't change the design of their (Garmin) products: I own an eTrex Vista C, "C" being the operative part of the statement. Before the eTrex Vista C was the eTrex Vista. How do you spell "D-E-S-I-G-N C-H-A-N-G-E???"

Now. Are you rough on your stuff? Are you so rough that you need a neoprene case and "transparent" view screen? Do you *want* to pay high prices for how many lifetime guaranteed screens? Buy them. *Stick* them on your beautiful 60 CS. Fog your screen with the alcohol you use to take the old glue off when you replace the Invisible Shield. While you are doing all that, I'll be enjoying by GPSs, not damaging my screen with the Exacto-Knife when trimming the protector, taking care of my stuff (I wash mine daily), and spending the saved money on a new GPS when I want one.

Different strokes for different folks. I believe this is *enough* said on this topic. :P

LifeOnEdge

Radiation Physicist

(I know these things. That's why I make the big bucks!)

I had already scratched my screen before I put on the "invisible shield".......there is no change in light level at all..I still use the same setting at night I always used.....the few scratches I had have all but disappeared or at least no longer cast a distracting "shadow" on a sunlit screen, which was a pleasant surprise.

Moreover, I find the protected screen tends to not show finger smudges as much as the unprotected screen. Usually I would say products like this are all hype and no substance, but that's not the case here. This is an excellent way to protect from scratches, and diminish the ones you already have.

As far as all these light reduction calculations go...geeesh...you're reading way to much into a piece of protective plastic. All sorts or products(eyeglasses, car winshields, CRT screens, LCD's etc.) have a layer of protective plastic over them. If light reduction from a 1 mil piece of plastic was as you say, there would be a lot of people walking and driving into things because they can't see. :P

I have the Vista C and love it. I like its compact size. I carry it in my hand, with it facing up, so I don't lose the signal as I am hiking. That way I have a continuous track to upload to my Mapsource maps.

McGintyPlacingCaches.jpg

I bought the City Select and the beanbag automotive mount and the cigarette lighter adapter in a package deal for about $145.00.

I have the neoprene case and am glad I have it because I have dropped the GPSr and fallen down with it in my hand.

I bought the Protective Solutions screen protector as well. :P

I wanted to keep my Vista C looking new. :D

I had already scratched my screen before I put on the "invisible shield".......there is no change in light level at all..I still use the same setting at night I always used.....the few scratches I had have all but disappeared or at least no longer cast a distracting "shadow" on a sunlit screen, which was a pleasant surprise.

Moreover, I find the protected screen tends to not show finger smudges as much as the unprotected screen. Usually I would say products like this are all hype and no substance, but that's not the case here. This is an excellent way to protect from scratches, and diminish the ones you already have.

As far as all these light reduction calculations go...geeesh...you're reading way to much into a piece of protective plastic. All sorts or products(eyeglasses, car winshields, CRT screens, LCD's etc.) have a layer of protective plastic over them. If light reduction from a 1 mil piece of plastic was as you say, there would be a lot of people walking and driving into things because they can't see. :D

You missed the point *completely.*

Moreover, I find the protected screen tends to not show finger smudges as much as the unprotected screen.  Usually I would say products like this are all hype and no substance, but that's not the case here.  This is an excellent way to protect from scratches, and diminish the ones you already have.

As far as all these light reduction calculations go...geeesh...you're reading way to much into a piece of protective plastic.  All sorts or products(eyeglasses, car winshields, CRT screens, LCD's etc.) have a layer of protective plastic over them.  If light reduction from a 1 mil piece of plastic was as you say, there would be a lot of people walking and driving into things because they can't see. :D

You missed the point *completely.*

Well I don't think so..as a matter of fact , for a physicist, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

First of all you state most people can see a 2.5% difference in luminance...you're off by a factor of ten....it's common knowledge in many scientific circles that the majority of people can't even distinguish a 25% difference in a given luminance value. I attribute that error to pure BS on your part.

Second of all, the adhesives used to affix protective polymer sheets have a light transmittance value which is equal to or greater than the light transmittance value of the plastic it's being used on. For a supposed physicist, you don't even understand the most rudimentsry principles regarding light. Equal Transmittance values equal no loss of light. It's also entirely possible, and probable, that the screen protector plastic has a higher transmittance value than the plastic screen on the unit.

Thirdly, obviously you have never used "invisibleshield" because the screens use "water soluable" adhesive...Don't know how you got alcohol on your brain (well maybe I do :P ), but peeling off and wiping with a damp cloth is all thats needed to remove them.

Also don't know where you got the exacto knife thing from....maybe you're a real hack and like to cut everthing you get your hands on, but it's not necessary with this protector...it's already cut to size and fits perfect...so put your exacto knife away, and get away from the GPS.

Lastly, most people that need to boast about their earnings to support what they say are usually full of &*(%. Mike Tyson made a lot of money but he's far from the sharpest tool in the shed. Get my drift :P

Back on topic, sort of . . . My Vista C just took me to a FTF. Whoo Hoo! :P

"Valley Pillar via Quail Oasis"

I would post a link, but I can't get the page to open right now. :D

And, I placed two caches along the nearly mile and a half walk. At one, I dropped the Vista C from the tree branch I had it resting on to get an accurate reading. :P

Sure glad I had that screen protector on it, the Protective Solutions' one that is "cut to size" for a perfect fit. :P

Again, he and others miss the point. I won't restate it.

Is the world so BORING now that people have to take a simple reply and turn it into a life and death struggle? For god's sake, get a grip.

Its simple: if you want screen protection, BUY IT. It may not be a waste of money for *you*. It would be a big waste of time, effort and money for *me*. :: Expecting some worthless response from BubbleBoy ::

Beffiness, enjoy your new GPS and have fun buying things for it.

LifeOnEdge

Again, he and others miss the point. I won't restate it.

Is the world so BORING now that people have to take a simple reply and turn it into a life and death struggle? For god's sake, get a grip.

Its simple: if you want screen protection, BUY IT. It may not be a waste of money for *you*. It would be a big waste of time, effort and money for *me*. :: Expecting some worthless response from BubbleBoy ::

Beffiness, enjoy your new GPS and have fun buying things for it.

LifeOnEdge

See....now you've got it. Cut out all the stuff you're just making up and you only needed one sentence to reply in the first place. Quite an improvement !

Screen protectors - I dunno about them - never tried one on my GPSr or PDA.

I can say one thing about the Vista C screen - it is very scratch resistant and durable - but it's not perfect. I'm very careful with mine but shortly after I got it it slipped out of my pocket while I was reaching under a stump for a micro. It landed face down on a rock and put a scratch on the screen. I was quite annoyed for my moment of carelessness and immediately planned to purchase some sort of protection.

I decided on a Garmin case but when I went to purchase it I wasn't sure it would fit the new "C" (color) units as it appeared to be sized for the older non color versions.

I emailed Garmin to see if they offer a case for the color units and they confirmed that the same case should fit both the non-color and the color units. Then they offered to send me one free of charge to "try out". (Thank-you Garmin!)

Turns out that even though the cutout could be a bit bigger to accomodate the shape of the color screen - the fit is pretty good. I use the case all the time while hiking - there is more glare and the screen is harder to see but I don't have to be so protective!!!

I reccommend the suction cup windshield mount, and the bike mount. Both work well for me. Also recommend a 12v to USB converter to power the GPS with backlight on while in the car at night

I will add this note, no need to have the 12v adaptor,cords are a drag! go buy a pack of energizer rechargeable batteries and either a fast charging car charger or any other bundeled package. (they come in various options). These batteries are unbelievable, a set of four should get you through a week of almost constant use, with or without the backlight on, thats my opinion I am using them in an etex summit and legend, both are battery hoggs (snort). Do a search on them and read more.

I just received my Vista C today. Like Beefiness, I come from a Magellan Meridian Platinum. I can see that there is going to be a learning curve switching between the two.

Along the lines of the original post, "Tips and Hints", any tips/hints/shortcuts etc. that you Garmin users can pass on to this Garmin newbie to help him get up to speed using the Vista C?

I'm specifically looking for any setups that I should set to make things easier. I tended to use the compass go to funtion on the Magellan the most and hope to be able to do the same on the Vista. The use of this unit will be 99.9% Geocaching.

I just received my Vista C today. Like Beefiness, I come from a Magellan Meridian Platinum. I can see that there is going to be a learning curve switching between the two.

Along the lines of the original post, "Tips and Hints", any tips/hints/shortcuts etc. that you Garmin users can pass on to this Garmin newbie to help him get up to speed using the Vista C?

I'm specifically looking for any setups that I should set to make things easier. I tended to use the compass go to funtion on the Magellan the most and hope to be able to do the same on the Vista. The use of this unit will be 99.9% Geocaching.

Did you read the FIRST REPLY? Lots of good information there.

Yep - read it all - thanks. My City Select v7 is scheduled to arrive Friday. I'm looking for any hints as to what settings, if any, to change that would make things easier on day to day usage. I've downloaded a number of caches and will try my luck tomorrow. Been going through withdrawal since I lost my GPSr last week. Only need 33 more by the 13th of next month to reach my 500 mark before my one year anniversary. Bad time to lose my GPSr and try to learn a new one :anitongue:

Way simpler that I expected. Downloaded a couple local caches. Re-found a couple that I had already found just to check things out. Right on. Even beeps at you when you are close. Yah-yah – you Gramin people knew that but it’s new to me :cool: I then went for one I hadn’t found – again right on. Tonight I’ll be planning for tomorrow’s caches. Withdrawal is over!!!

A different Vista C question. I down loaded the Easy GPS software and doesn't work with USB. That seems to be the only option on my Vista C. So, I am downloading .loc to Easy GPS and then cut and paste each individual coordinate to map source. Is there a better way? Or is there a software that does USB uploads

A different Vista C question. I down loaded the Easy GPS software and doesn't work with USB. That seems to be the only option on my Vista C. So, I am downloading .loc to Easy GPS and then cut and paste each individual coordinate to map source. Is there a better way? Or is there a software that does USB uploads

EasyGPS doesn't have an option for the Vista C, so you probably selected plain old Vista instead, which won't work. Tell it that it's a GPSMAP60C (which has a USB connection), and then it will be able to talk to your Vista C.

GSAK will connect via USB

sorry I am new, what is GSAK usually I can get it figured out by reading other messages thanks Ed

Geocahing Swiss Army Knife. Don't leave home without it. It is a desktop application that sorts, filters and organizes waypoint information that you download from the geocaching.com site. From there, you can load waypoints into your GPSr without any typos, or load the data into map programs, etc.