Is It Ok To Give Gps Cords When Logging A Find

Galivanter

I have found a few caches and the cords seemed to be off. I noticed on some logs other cachers mention the cords were off. Is it ok to post the cords when I log the cache? :signalviolin:

It's perfectly normal for there to a difference 30' or more between your GPS and the cache owners. It seems that as soon as one person posts a "coordinates are off" note, every else whose GPS didn't exactly zero-out at the cache, jumps on the bandwagon too. Unless the difference is really significant, just chalk it up to normal GPS error.

I've posted the coordinates I observed at the cache with my log, if the cache page coordinates seemed off. It's the reason (I believe) that the option is there.

That said, 20 or 30 feet off is normal. If you GPS said you were 60 feet away, for example, you might post your coordinates with your log.

Jamie

Notice when you are logging a Cache the Add a waypoint to the log option. It's there to use if you think you need to. And yes there are Caches with bad coords.

But don't make a big deal over 15'. Take the "quality" of your fix into account also. If your fix is spotty, it's doubtful your coords are better than the hiders. I also take terrain into account if I think I could have done better. Such as, could different coords keep you out of thorns, out of a swampy area, on the correct side of a trail, ect. It's your judgement call.

I've posted the coordinates I observed at the cache with my log, if the cache page coordinates seemed off. It's the reason (I believe) that the option is there.

That said, 20 or 30 feet off is normal. If you GPS said you were 60 feet away, for example, you might post your coordinates with your log.

Jamie

It was created for use with locationless caches, not for reporting errant coordinates. But since all cache types use pretty much the same logging code, it's available across the board. So people have co-opted it for other uses.

If I think the coords are off enough to make finding the cache a problem, I will often post my own coords. If a cache is really well hidden and my coords are off only 20 feet, I still may post them. On the other hand, if the cache is easy to find, even if my coords are 60 feet off, I usually don't post them. I like to check back and see if others find my posted coords useful, and compare to others who post coords. What I have learned is that a GPSR may give very different positions at different times, especially under tree cover in the vicinity of rocky hills.

30 feet seems to the the outside of the acceptable range.

Any cache I find greater than 30 feet from the listed coordinates, I list my coordinates in my log.

I know if a couple of caches local to me that are off and the owners for some reason do not update their coordinates. Many cachers state in their logs "couldn't have found it without XXXXXX's set of cordinates.

For example, I found this one yesterday using another cacher's coordinates after DNFing it months ago:

Cement or Concrete?

I've occasionally been really grateful to someone who logged better coords. I've also totally given the eye-roll to people who post "the coords were 12 feet off." That is so inside the margin of error, it's silly.

I never post coords, because my GPSr is a pretty jumpy customer. But I will mention if there was a big and persistent discrepency.

There are two circumstances I might post my coordinates for a cache.

1. All the following are true:

-My fix differs considerably from the published coordinates. i.e. the search would have been quite a bit shorter if I'd had my coordinates.

-I have a pretty good circle of uncertainty, usually less than 20ft, and the published coordinates are well outside of it, usually at least two radii. e.g. uncertainty or EPE = 16 ft, distance to GZ= 40ft.

-Geometry as viewed on the satellite screen isn't lopsided. Both Garmin and Magellan receivers can give wildly wrong fixes (hundreds of feet to miles) while reporting good accuracy, <30ft, when half the sky is empty

OR

2. I can pick off more accurate coordinates using high resolution satellite photos, where identifiable landmarks allow it.

The last cache I did where the coordinates were way off (over 100 feet down a hill!) I let the cache owner know and provided him with my coordinates. (I think the nearby cliff gave him bad readings when he placed the cache.) He switched the coordinates on the cache page to the ones I provided and the following cachers didn't have the problem. I was FTF on the cache so it was good to get them changed quickly. He did go out and verify the coordinates I gave him to be sure they were correct.