Lost Keys?

Whistlen

So I spent 25 minutes trying to find my last find moving leafs like a critter looking for nuts! Finally found it and the wife plus 3 kids were ready to go. That's when I discovered that I had dropped the van keys!

Had to go back and find them which I did pretty fast.

Ever drop something and had to go back?

Ya'll be safe out there!

...just a WHISTLEN

The solid-rock-seeker's Lost Keys Cache was created in an effort to get help finding some lost keys.

From the cache page:

The Lost Keys Cache is in Mine Falls Park of Nashua, NH. Our main motivation for placing this cache is to enlist geocachers' help in finding our lost keys! Placing this cache was my mom's idea. At first, I thought that was silly, but after talking with ThePetersPack, I realized, "Who better to find missing keys than geocachers?!" We hope you enjoy the cache, and we hope even more that somebody gets to claim the FTF prize for the keys!

And here is the story I wrote when I found both the cache and the keys.

I lost my glasses. Took them off because I was afraid of them falling off while peering under logs, put them on top of my pack, then forgot about them. Put on the pack and did two other caches in that same park before I realized they were missing. (A little hard to believe since I can't see very well without them.) We had to walk all the way back to the first cache. I was extremely lucky I found them in the woods.

Later that day, I thought I did the same thing but we were on a dock so I thought they flew out into the water. I had put them in the pack that time, but didn't realize it until the next day. If I put a TB tag on my glasses I might keep better track of them!

Hey wait, I have a pair of old frames. What an idea! :signalviolin:

cassiev2

The solid-rock-seeker's Lost Keys Cache was created in an effort to get help finding some lost keys.

From the cache page:

The Lost Keys Cache is in Mine Falls Park of Nashua, NH. Our main motivation for placing this cache is to enlist geocachers' help in finding our lost keys! Placing this cache was my mom's idea. At first, I thought that was silly, but after talking with ThePetersPack, I realized, "Who better to find missing keys than geocachers?!" We hope you enjoy the cache, and we hope even more that somebody gets to claim the FTF prize for the keys!

And here is the story I wrote when I found both the cache and the keys.

That sounds cool.

I wish my Travel Bug named, "I've lost my keys" would be found and start moving again. It's been over a year.

It would be cool to have my TB make it's way to that cache!

Here's my log from GCMZ71:

This was such a nice cache we did it twice!

:P

We followed all the directions (omitting point :D. We enjoyed the walk as there were much less briars than the cache we did just before this one. Enjoyed the Beaver Dam. George enjoyed seeing all the deer tracks and rubbings, he knows the deer were taunting him since he can't hunt here. Once at the cache I stood in the wrong spot as George moved right in on the cache and found it in the first place he looked. I asked him why he looked there and he said that object looked different from the others in the same area.

Then we had a nice walk back to the car going a different way as we found a path we missed on the way to the cache. Once back at the car George asks me if he gave me the car keys and quickly says I'm not kidding. No I say I don't have them. He says darn, (keeping the log family friendly, he really didn't say darn) I locked them in the trunk. Look the passenger door is unlocked we're saved! Except the keys were not in the trunk or anywhere else in or near the car. Gosh where could they be? They must have fallen out of my pocket at the cache sight when I brought the pen out of my pocket he says. No problem we'll walk back and we'll look for the keys on the way there just in case.

Which way did we go? Does that tree look familiar? How can we be certain this is the exact way we walked in? Well they must be with the cache. We get to the cache and look under things but they should really be on top. Maybe they were put in the cache? No not there. Oh darn we're walking home unless we get lucky and find them on the way out. I start to laugh a little and of course he has no idea why. I say I'm just thinking about what I'll say when I log this. Wow, I got an evil glare.

We get almost back to the car right at the place where the path turns right and goes up hill toward the street. On the first trip to the cache we strayed from this path and walked straight up through the trees instead of turning left with the path. Maybe they fell out of my pocket there, at least in this area we know which way we went unlike the other places where we just picked our way through. So off I go slowly up the hill about 5 feet up are the car keys (about .10 from the car). Hooray we can go find one more cache before we have to get home to drive our son to work!

I could see relief all over his face so I got a hug and a kiss in the woods and then I said I can't wait to log this one and he said one mention about the keys and I'll have a divorce! So anyone interested in a 40ish woman with kids, cats, and her own GPSr?? :P

Thanks for the good time TNLN container is very full.

I once did a cache under heavy tree cover, high weeds and a cliff added in to block the signal. I knew this would have to be a thorough search, so I set down my pack, gps and jacket and I found the cache after about 15 minutes, 100 feet away.

It took me about 15 minutes to find where I left my stuff.

Why do I only lose things when I am alone on the trail meeting hubby and the kids at the other end of the trail? One time, I took a wrong turn on an overgrown trail to check something out...when I got back to the main trail, I realized that my 60cs was gone. It took me about 15 mintues of beating the weeds to find it. That was the last time I used that broken belt clip.

Another time, I was taking a wooded trail when a passing branch lifted my sidekick right off my pants, just unclipped it as I brushed by. Luckily, the possibilies were limited. It was only 20 feet back and 3 feet down the hill.

So far so good. Hopefully there won't be a next time.

Frivlas

I lost a pair of glasses one year and a year later I lost a second pair. I had to resort to using my perscription saftey glasses to go hunting.

beilive it or not I found the first pair that I lost while walking in the woods last year, and found the second pair that I lost under my tree stand This fall.

What's really funny is the timing of this topic.

We were at the NJ.Shore this past week and after loading the car up to the roof with bags and shopping Items,and fishing tackle the Queen Says "The key to the car is not on the Keychain"

Like a drug sniffing dog I had to empty everything out and check every pocket that might have contained the wayward key.

Key found,but How come I cant pack up the car the same way as before?

After finding a particularly difficult cache I had DNF'd months earlier, I turned off my GPSr and put it in a deep pocket of my fanny pack since the next two caches we were going to were ones I had already found.

After hiking to those, we went back to town and had a nice lunch. While putting all my gear in the other car so we only had to take one car the rest of the day, I realized I didn't have my GPSr. :lol:

I quickly drove back to the trailhead and hiked back to the last cache we found. No GPSr. :rolleyes: So, I retraced my steps and hiked the trail almost all the way to the other cache before I found the GPSr face up in the dirt. Wheeeuuu! That could have been a very bad day. :(

I'll never put a GPSr away again without either zipping it into a pocket or attaching the lanyard to a strap.

Edited by Miragee
I lost a pair of glasses one year and a year later I lost a second pair.

I found your sunglasses. Wait a moment, that was on my way back from hiding my latest cache, and it wasn't approved yet.

Somewhere I have a list of unusual things that I picked up while maintining my section of trail...

Baseball bat. Fork. Black clog, right foot. Men's boxer shorts, blue.

Myself, what I forget sometimes is my hiking stick. Keep going back for it.

Oh, I have SOO been there!! This happened to me in my first few days of caching...and I was, hmm...well...TICKED!!!

I had my 4 kids with me, all under the age of 11, it was COLD, SNOWING, WET and ICY!!! Let it be noted that the walk from the parking lot of this cache, to the cache itself was nearly 2 miles, and it was all hills, steep hills, that were covered with ice. We were not dressed for the occasion. But, as mad as I was, I will never forget it!

Here is my post for it...

"March 20 by The Herd (156 found)

This one was my least favorite! Not because of the cache itself, only the experiance! Went in once, with the 4 kids in tow. Loved the hike, even though the entire trail was ice, which made hills lottsa fun! Got all the way back to the van, halfway home, realized my cell phone was gone. Went back to the cache site with no luck in the pursuit of the phone. Went back to the van, head hung in saddness, only to find it under my seat!!! I felt like such a dork!!!"

Saturday I lost my cell phone at a cache. I didn't realize it until I had gotten home, but I grabbed a friends phone and retraced my route calling my phone. Luckily, I finally found it... it was under a pile of leaves at the next to last cache I had found that day. A MUCH better outcome than I had a couple of years ago - I was at an event cache and while canoeing to the cache my cell phone fell into the lake. Needless to say, that one was lost!

Edited by medic208
Dropped my cell phone at a cache one time and didn't realize it till I was 25 miles away. Fortunately I was headed back the same direction later in the day. I used my wifes cell phone to call mine and followed the sound to my phone. And fortunately it was still there deep in the woods where no-one could hear it ringing. Is that verizo-caching?

If a phone rings in the forest and there's nobody to hear it, does it make a sound?

After finding a cache in a particularly neat little park near Napa, we settled down for an afternoon picnic with a few brews. The cache was one of those storybook caches, inviting us to sit a spell and write our thoughts.

The next morning, preparing for a full day of California caching, I discovered my GPSr was missing. A thorough search of the house turned up nothing so we made a very early morning return trip to the cache spot of the day before and combed the area and the trails. Nothing. I was resigned to purchase a new unit.

A little later, back at the house again, we discovered the unit.

A year later, almost to the day, I lost the same unit again just a few hundred yards from a cache in Indiana. I have not returned to search for it even though I know almost exactly where it is (on a muddy creek bottom under approximately eight feet of water). :D:lol:

In early summer I became somewhat infamous in the imediate caching community for continually leaving my sunglasses at caches, requiring quite a number of returns to cache areas.

However, my most embarrasing losses (even though temporary), were losses of my Jeep. Yes, my Jeep. Mind you, the losses occurred in heavy Juniper (in these parts erroneously called "cedars") where GPS signals are quite weak.

My first Jeep lost, where you can learn what the acronym "PFFCLJSL" means.

My second Jeep lost, which is a more humorous read of the two (I used the vehicle's alarm to locate it).

:lol:

Edited by Jeep_Dog