Logging Visits

Some do, some don't. I don't tend to log the Waymarks I creat, but I'm kind of lazy that way. I guess it's kind of a hold over from geocaching for me.....I wouldn't neccessarily take the "find" on my own cache now would I.

I guess that means I haven't quite made the paradigm shift from caching to Waymarking yet :o

Personal rule of thumb is the first visit for me is a waymark creation. If I go back again and have something vital to report about the waymark, or feel like making a comment about the waymark based on that visit, I'll log it as a visit. If I "hear something" about a waymark that may/may not change the status of the waymark without actually visiting to confirm it, I'd log it as just a note.

I don't see why not. While in geocaching you "find" a cache, here you "visit" a waymark. It isn't a hide and seek game so you can choose to log your visit or not. However in most cases the marking is far more important than the visiting so the visit would be more useful as a record to you than a score. A find, however, would indicate that you had to look for it. Obviously if you marked it you knew where it was already.

For most waymarks, it would be true that the creator already knew where it was before making the first mark. However, for most benchmarks it is still really a seeking game because in many cases the finder has downloaded coordinate data from one of a number of databases and then they still had to go find it. And in many cases the find is not all that easy. Therefore, I believe that the creator of a benchmark should be able to log it as a visit as well. At least I will be allowing it within the Canadian Benchmarks if anyone so chooses.

First of all, why would anyone else care if the waymark creator also logged a visit at their own waymark? It only affects their statistics and nobody else's. Of course if there was a competition for who visited the most waymarks it would make a difference but I for one wouldn't want to see Waymarking be a competition to visit the most waymarks.

Secondly, I could see some categories or waymarks where there is something to find (like a virtual cache where you had to find the answers to a verification question). I have proposed elsewhere that for these categories there be two types of logs visit for just visiting the waymark and reporting on it and find for the player who wants the same experience that a virtual cache had where they had to find something to verify they visited the location. The waymark creator could visit their own waymark but not find it. Others could find the waymark at most one time but could visit as many times as they liked.

Edited by tozainamboku
A find, however, would indicate that you had to look for it. Obviously if you marked it you knew where it was already.

not necessarily. some things are so commonplace in our daily lives that we over look them.

take payphones. until the category was created, everyone just overlooked them. in my driving around town, or whereever i am driving, looking for waymarks in general--man that list in my head is getting harder and harder to manage--you see things differently. sitting at a red light is not a 'hide and seek' game.

does that house have a unique birdhouse in the front yard? is that a historical marker hidden behind that tree? is that tree a cell phone tower? does that wall look like it has a faded ad on it? does that cafe have a fountain in the patio area?

just because you know where it is, does not mean you know it is there.