Possible To Mark A Road Unpassible On The 60cs?

crash331

There is no way that I know of to mark a road as closed, but you can add a waypoint to the route that will force the GPSr to go through that waypoint, and thereby end up picking a route that avoids the bridge. Its a little hard to do this "on the fly," but now that you know the bridge is closed, you can probably find a suitable spot on the map to mark the waypoint,

I think the newer Garmins will allow you to avoid certain areas. IIRC that started with the Quest. The 60 and 76 series do not have this feature. THey tend to update Mapsource to have the features of the latest models.

I can confirm that the Quest allows one to program custom avoidances for road sections and/or areas. It's news to me that the 60 and 76 series don't do this; I thought that aside from the Quest's voice prompts that the implementation was the same.

I think the newer Garmins will allow you to avoid certain areas. IIRC that started with the Quest. The 60 and 76 series do not have this feature. THey tend to update Mapsource to have the features of the latest models.

I can confirm that the Quest allows one to program custom avoidances for road sections and/or areas. It's news to me that the 60 and 76 series don't do this; I thought that aside from the Quest's voice prompts that the implementation was the same.

No, they don't do avoidances. About the most you can do is avoid toll roads, dirt roads, major highways, and carpool lanes.

...and I should have added, "You learn something new every day." I wasn't intending to challenge you (even though my post could be read that way).

It's a nice feature (customized avoidances) and a great way to handle the situation the OP described. It's in there for all route creations for as long as--and no longer--than the user wants. Still, even lacking the feature, the 60 and 76 series afford a nice level of route customization.

...and I should have added, "You learn something new every day." I wasn't intending to challenge you (even though my post could be read that way).

It's a nice feature (customized avoidances) and a great way to handle the situation the OP described. It's in there for all route creations for as long as--and no longer--than the user wants. Still, even lacking the feature, the 60 and 76 series afford a nice level of route customization.

No, not taken as a challenge! :D. simply confirming and providing more info. It would be neat to do custom avoidances on the 60cs, but the unit still does a good job without it!