250 Free Coins

Cach-U-Nuts

Just might be quicker to make your own event :lol:

Get a group of fellow cachers together and go out for coffee and fellowship.

Our 'approver' frowned on the idea of having an event in lieu of logging a cache for the coin quest. I tried to set one up -

but my event date was too close (the main reason it was no allowed) and that was enough reason to have the event later - after the quest winners will have found the booty.

I don't mind bending the rules a bit - but if you bend it too hard, you brake something.

January 21, 2006 - CraigInCT's Coffee and Caching - GCRE2K

I was so surprised to see in my mail today my #33 coin!

I really didn't think they would be mailed until the entire game was finished. What a nice surprise! And what a fantastic game and an absolutely beautiful coin! I really enjoyed it a lot and this coin will forever be special to me. I had a lot of fun and met some great fellow cachers along the way. :lol:

I cannot say "Thank You" enough for sponsoring such a great activity! :mad: I will never forget it and look forward to participating in another one. :D

I have a couple of friends working on the Coinquest - they're at about 10 caches logged. Will the game remain online for them and others to finish after the 250th player completes? I know they'd both enjoy just having a finishing place, even though it's not a coin winning place.

Aye . . .

Thar be no plans at this time . . .

To pull in the gang plank and sail away . . .

Linger a while we will . . . .

So as you kin have the thrill . . .

Of figurin out the code on yer completed map . .

3sheets.gif and Always Be Rememberin . . . .

I'm glad to see this has spurred more geocaching activity. I must admit it got me off my arse and out to a few caches. Alas, in my quest for a local FTF log, I messed myself up pretty bad while logging the cache (badly sprained ankle and some torn cartilige and other injuries around my rib cage). Anyway, I'm out of the game for a while (not off work, though ;) )

Time for more meds!

whoa.....the colors.....the colors......wow......

Edited by RastaDave

Just want to say we had alot of fun with this game. We logged in last night after our local event (no, did not drive to PA, but thought about it) and managed to finish off at #207. It caused us to look at caches in a new and different way (one owned by a dog, in particular was hilarious and creative). Excellent interactive graphics, story & theme, and user friendly to boot.

Thanks again for the fun and generosity in creating this game. :ph34r: KD & MS

Arrrgh.

Tis be a sad day. This here post be nothin more than an ole pirates lament. Me and the crew be gettin a rapid beginnin on this here quest. We be clear up to what be number 19 at one point. Aye, but we ran aground waitin for a scurvy event cache. By the looks of things, the quest be over for this here band of mongrel dogs. 210 and countin landlubbin, gold raidin, bilge rats already be claimin the gold and that ther event cache ain't be happenin til Saturday. Curses and curses again.

We be thankin them gold hidin teams of Cach-u-Nuts and 3 Sheets to the Wind for the best race in nigh a hundred years! Got me captians blood boilin to be chasin after the treasure. Arrrgh, twas what a pirate be borned to do!

A hearty Yo Ho! to them whose finding them coins. A big capn's bow to ye and yer crew.

Team Smallville

I was ready to log in my 16th cache at 9:29 pm EST. when the server went down. I feel I had a chance at coin if I solved the puzzle in a timely fashion. Since I cannot just sit at the computer until the server is up and running, I have lost this opportunity. Will you be looking at log times and adjusting them accordingly as you did for others when the server went down once before?

Well, I logged my event cache last night, but the site was down (same for me as for others) when I went to claim my booty. Logging this AM, I made a small mistake. There were 249 winners when I logged my final. Upon entering the phrase, I got a screen which said "Congratulations! You WILL receive a coin". Knowing there were only 250 available, I assumed I had made it in under the wire for the last coin. Checking the leader board, however, showed that I was seconds behind another who grabbed 250 first.

And so the question. Are there plans to hand out more coins given the problems we have had logging, or is it done, and I was the first to miss out? I know the congrats page said I would get a coin, but am curious exactly *what* coin I would receive!

Thanks for an amazing time anyway!

-S.

Could be. It never said *what* coin I would receive, tho. It may not be a coinquest coin at all, and rather something like "cache-u-nutz's magic toenail" coin or somesuch.

We'll have to wait and see... Either way, it was a great time, and all thanks to cache-u-nutz for putting this together, bankrolling the entire thing, and putting up with server and Hosting/Colo company problems inorder to simply entertain the community!

BTW, I am a Senior Network Engineer for a leading colo company (remember Exodus...?) so if you want to move shop, I can help...

-S.

This has really been a great race especially at the end. I can't see the winners board after the first 250 but looking at the latest activity it looked to me that SPnZ logged the correct phrase 15 sec before Stbk but stbk is listed as the 250th coin winner. Not sure how that came to be.

As I have been following several players, I would still like to be able to see where they finished. Is it me or are the finishers after 250 invisible?

They must be working on the site. The reason I believed that I was #251 was that After I logged my final comments, I saw the number of winners at 251. I checked and found to my dismay that I had been listed as winner #251. A few minutes later, winner#252 was listed. Now the site only lists the top 250 winners.

A friend also pointed me at the curious sequence of events in the activity log which does seem to indicate that I made coin#250 by 15 seconds. I would hate to be penalized for taking my time making my final comments!

Of course, anyone could expect that the last couple to log would have a photo finish. Compound this with the server problems overnight, and I suspect that there is some analysis going on to make sure that the line gets drawn in the proper place.

I sure would like to get coin#250 if I made it, but again, if not, we had fun all the same.

Thanks,

-S.

Edited by SPnZ

It seems to me that you win when you log in the correct phrase because that's when it tells you that are a winner. Someone shouldn't be penalized because they take longer to think about their final comments. In fact, I not sure you even have to make any final comments. I'm assuming that they are working on the site to fix a few of those glitches I don't know any of the final finishers but I know its been a great time for all of us.

Happy Holidays to all and don't be drinking too much ale as 3 Sheets 2 the winds would say........

According to the rules posted on the coinquest homepage, "Winners names will be listed automatically on the "Coin Winners" page according to the time the correct phrase is entered." I'm gonna mail Cacheunuts directly. I'm sure this will get worked out fairly.

-S.

Arrgghh Mateys . . . . . .

Dreadful be the news ! ! ! ! !

oops, bad habit it be. . . .

meant to say . . . .

Joyful be the news ! ! ! !

Tis true, the scurvy skeleton crew be feeling blue. . . .

Bout the problems with the site . . . .

Happens to be that the crew found a second map in that skaliwag Maloney's pockets . . .

Leading to a stash of older and even more rare coins . . . .

But these coins be ruff and dull from the seawater . . .

And only 40 thar be so those that shud have gotten a coin . . .

From number 250 on to 290 will be gettin one of these newfound coins . . . .

Hope that takes sum of the sting out of the dissapointment . . .

Of having victory snatched right out of yer jaws . . . .

3sheets.gif and Always Be Rememberin . . . .

Edited by 3 Sheets 2 The Wind
According to the rules posted on the coinquest homepage, "Winners names will be listed automatically on the "Coin Winners" page according to the time the correct phrase is entered."  I'm gonna mail Cacheunuts directly.  I'm sure this will get worked out fairly.

-S.

It's pretty amazing how quickly (9 and 18 secs) you and stbk were able to decode the phrase after uncovering the last piece.

Edited by Doughball
If you have decoded the phrase before getting the final piece, then it does only take a few seconds to type it in.  The final piece can just be icing on the cake if you have figured it out beforehand or it can be the piece that pushes you in the right direction.

I'm curious as to how you were able to decode the final phrase without the key(last piece)?

Edited by bullit
If you have decoded the phrase before getting the final piece, then it does only take a few seconds to type it in.  The final piece can just be icing on the cake if you have figured it out beforehand or it can be the piece that pushes you in the right direction.

I'm curious as to how you were able to decode the final phrase without the key(last piece)?

Could be done. I went back and looked at it after the post a couple ago. With some thought and a couple good guesses, it actually wouldn't be that hard. The tricky part would be figuring out what to look at. Had I know what to look at first, I may have been able to decode it.

I had planned to drive 2 hours to an event cache tonight JUST for this contest but..... I guess I'll do something else instead. I missed the event cache I could have used to be a winner in this contest because I had to go to a stupid work-related dinner instead. Bah. I think caching is much more important than working.

I had planned to drive 2 hours to an event cache tonight JUST for this contest but..... I guess I'll do something else instead. I missed the event cache I could have used to be a winner in this contest because I had to go to a stupid work-related dinner instead. Bah. I think caching is much more important than working.

Hey did you read 3 sheets 2 the winds post above? They have found 40 more coins--more rare they say for the next 40 finishers!!!! So hop in your car, meet & grett and claim your share of this new booty!