250 Free Coins

Cach-U-Nuts

D'oh. Is it true the final treasure map gives you hints to go search for the coin??!! Possibly in Utah??!! Woops, I thought it was mailed to you after you finished everything and decoded something on the map...

Avast ye blubberin landlubbers . . . .

All hands on deck!

Hard right rudder. Strike the mainsail and drop the anchor!

Thar be no overland trekkin to the vast landlocked wastelands of the American west. Any deck swabber worth his salt knows there be no seaways into the Great Basin of the salty lake.

Legend has it that thar be a sekret phrase hidden on the map that reveals location of the hidden treshur chest.

(Yes the coins will be mailed out to the sturdy souls who endure to the end and complete their quest.)

Question about events:

What about if we are going to a reoccurring event where they only let you log an attended the first time and must be a note after...

Example: 4th Thursdays

Iffen our scurvy skeleton crew kin verify you wuz actually in attendance at that thar event then yur good as gold. The point is just to attend an event and a recurring one is just as good fun as a new one. Ain't that rite matey?

Okay, I've wondered this from day 1 and have been putting off asking. Please, please, please don't take this as an insult or anything, but I'd really like to know why everyone is so anxious to get a coin with nothing but a commercial advertisment on one side. Yes, it's your site so there's nothing wrong with it, but it's certainly nothing I would drive 1000+ miles to get... I'd like to know just what about this coin is making people spend a fortune on gas. I don't get it.

For me it's not as much about the coin (although I DO want one) as it is about the competition and the unique twist on the game. We have a total of maybe 5 or 6 geocoins, including ones I've purchased but not yet received, so obviously we're not serious coin collectors. I must say I admire the effort that has gone into this game, from the expense of the coin to setting up the website to writing the accompanying story and even including coloring pages for the wee ones.

Anyway, it gets us out of the house even more and it's fun, so....it's all good. :lol:

Mrs. Car54

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

DREADFULL IS THE NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me first mate informs me that some selfish scurulous scum eating malodorous filthy pack of pirate thieves have hacked into the Cap'ns safe and made off with an advance copy of the trezur map!!!!!!!!!!!

YARR!!!!!!!!!!!!

They be laughing their fools heads off rite bout now as they plunder all the coins for themselves.

Oh the pitiful nature of the greedy human heart.

ALAS AND ALAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like it is curtains for our little game.

So sorry folks. It was fun while it lasted.

We be putting up full sail and chasing down those dirty double crossing traiterous scallywags and swear to see their ship full of holes from our cannons and their bones bleached on a faraway beach.

HAR DEE HARR HARRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YO HO HO AND A JOLLY GOOD LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The filthy pack DID make off with a map but we've been chasin that scoundrel Maloney long nuff to know that Many be the pitfalls and Many Be the PHONY maps behind the likes of that Malony scoundrel weve been chasin.

Jolly we be to report that the plunderin theivin scoundrels have lost their heads by now and they certainly ain't laughing no more!

So, steady as she goes mateys!

Full spead ahead

stay true to the course you have charted

don't let your sheets come loose in the blow

and always remember. . .

It's hard to find aaanyythinggg. . . . .

When you're 3 Sheets 2 The Wind . . . . . . .

? ?

nOw whERe dID i paRK tHaT duRNed sHIp ? ? ?

?

HAR DEE HARR HARRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, OK,.

sO weVve bEen diPpIn iN tHe gROggg gg ggg g a biT eArlY tOdAy.

Cap'n is callin out for some pirate poetry. We best be doin as he commands. He can be cantankerous when the

kegs are opened.

aYe, ayE CaPn' herE's oUr fiRSt sHoT

There wuz an old pirate named Dave

He searched for lost coins in a cave.

So many have tried

and as many have died

So play fair and let's all behave!

Edited by 3 Sheets 2 The Wind

I just checked your site and yes, anyone who knows how to navigate with hyperlinks can get all of the map parts once they have the first one. But as was just mentioned, in order to win a coin the cacher still has to log all sixteen caches, right? Just check all e-mails you get with the answer against the tally sheet on the leader board. If that person has not completed all of the tasks you will know he cheated and not send him a coin. As for the rest of us, completing the tasks and collecting the map parts is just part of the fun. Please keep this game running, too many people have already put alot of effort into it.

I just checked your site and yes, anyone who knows how to navigate with hyperlinks can get all of the map parts once they have the first one. But as was just mentioned, in order to win a coin the cacher still has to log all sixteen caches, right? Just check all e-mails you get with the answer against the tally sheet on the leader board. If that person has not completed all of the tasks you will know he cheated and not send him a coin. As for the rest of us, completing the tasks and collecting the map parts is just part of the fun. Please keep this  game running, too many people have already put alot of effort into it.

Aye matey!

Such assumptions. . .

Do you really think a process as you have described wud render the true map? You should ask Sinbad7Seas about that!

We shall see how many endure to the end and have the cleverness to achieve their coin.

Edited by Cach-U-Nuts

Oh thank goodness. I thought you might really cancel the game and that would very disappointing. I'm really having some fun and want to finish the Quest!

Should it turn out that someone did indeed get a copy of the map, you could always just post it for all to see. Then there would be no advantage to the thieves. I mean we'd still have to complete the 16 caches and there is still the 24-hour timer in place. So it wouldn't be that easy to "win" the first coin unless the person who stole the map was in the #1 slot and had the early timestamp anyway.

Legend has it that thar be a sekret phrase hidden on the map that reveals location of the hidden treshur chest.

(Yes the coins will be mailed out to the sturdy souls who endure to the end and complete their quest.)

And I thought you were going to make all 250 come out to Utah to claim there share of the booty. Wouldn't that be an evil twist!!!

I mean if we all did show up on your doorstep. "I like me eggs over easy captain."

:D

I forgot the "river" cache - hard to find in Germany but we have an eye on one about 250 miles away...

Blimey Sakes! No Rivers? Does it ne'er rain in yore land mateys? Do the waters soke staitaway into the ground like the ashy soil of the sandwich isles?

Plenty of rivers, mate, plenty! Indeed there are so many over here that no cacher calls a cache "River XXX", he just calls it after the name of the river... :D

Okay, I've wondered this from day 1 and have been putting off asking. Please, please, please don't take this as an insult or anything, but I'd really like to know why everyone is so anxious to get a coin with nothing but a commercial advertisment on one side. Yes, it's your site so there's nothing wrong with it, but it's certainly nothing I would drive 1000+ miles to get... I'd like to know just what about this coin is making people spend a fortune on gas. I don't get it.

Oops...it will be about 1.000 km, not miles. And that's going on a weekend trip for 2 days with doing some of the difficult caches for this game combined with a family visit. It's definitely not just for the coin. It's the whole challenge that electrified us. Will we be able to find all these caches? Will it be in a reasonable time? At which place on the board will we be at the end (hoping we will get there and don't have too many sleep ins)?

For us it's much more than just going for some caches in our surrounding. To find out where the different cache types might be is already fun. And you have to find these special types and can't just change your mind and turn on other caches. That's a different kind of challenge for us as well. I was a bit in doubts like you at the very beginning when I read about this game for a commercial coin. But once we started to join in it's like a drug. You can't wait to get another cache from that list and be able to log it... :D

The whole lot is very well done and thought about, we just terribly enjoy it.

Hope that makes our addiction a bit more understandable,

Heidi

I thought I was gonna have a heart attack right here in my chair when I thought the game was over! :D

That was close please please please don't do that to an old lady such as myself I would hate to have to blame you for my death.

Pepper makes the Alvin Times...A beloved wife, and mother of 3 died in her chair after reading a devistating post in the Geocacing.com forums. The Coin Quest game she so loved so much was pulled from play. Word has it that the Nuts shell got cracked and could not coin-tinue!

Oh Nuts I'm extatic that all is well and we can trudge on with our quest.

Pepper

I don't think I saw this question posed yet. Can one join like 5 days into this and make logs retroactive to start on the 12th and log one for each day to catch up? or am i just 5 days behind everyone no matter what?

(changed days from 3 to 5) :D

Well darn the bad luck, we can't do anything about the time factor. But don't let yer sails get droopy. Keep em trimmed proper and endure to the end and yull pass up a freighter load of slackers and end up with a mitey fine coin!

Sorry to add to the confusion here. I mailed this to your geocaching profile email and have received no response. I guess you must be busy doing something...

In regards to the dog cache requirement. There is a series in my area called the Theodore's walk series. The cache titles are "Theodore's Walk:<something>" with <something> being a unique name for each member of the 4 part series. The owner was not listed as a dog, but the entire series is dedicated to the placer's dog and covers the path she takes her dog for his daily walk.

Would one of these qualify for this requirement?

Thanks,

-S.

In regards to the dog cache requirement.  There is a series in my area called the Theodore's walk series. ...

Would one of these qualify for this requirement?

Certainly.

As far as claiming the same cache. . . . .

No problemo . . . . with two exceptions.

Only one player can claim a First To Find Cache and

Only one player can claim a New Cache That Has Been Placed. (New Cache Placement for Requirement # 13, that is.)

Edited by Cach-U-Nuts

We have a series of caches called "Gone to the Dogs" a few miles down the road. I was wondering if one of these might meet the requirements for the Dog Cache.

Here is part of the cache page (GCQ8MV)....

The lengths people go to to keep their critters happy and healthy never ceases to amaze me. This is one in a series of micros drawing attention to the many area businesses and services that deal with animals. As part of a family of pet owners (five dogs, a cat, two birds, and a turtle), I’m glad these services are available to us.

If Fido and his Fifi

Just want to get away,

There's not a finer spot in town

To wile away the day.

Your quest is a small Bison tube. Be sure to peek in the door if the light's on. How cute!

What say ye?

We have a series of caches called "Gone to the Dogs" a few miles down the road. I was wondering if one of these might meet the requirements for the Dog Cache.

What say ye?

A cache that contains poetry about an actual dog is ok.

I have also wondered about the dog cache requirement. If the cache's owner has the word dog in their name, does that count? (Don't know the owner's personally so can't say if they own a dog!  )

No, just having the word DOG won't do it. There must be an actual canine involved somehow.

Edited by Cach-U-Nuts
Just tried to submit a find on one of the requirements and got back a database error, and now it won't let me submit again for 24 hours. The one I tried to log doesn't show up, doh. I sent a problem report to their site contact email.

We may have bumped into each other as I was uploading an update to the web page. Your time has been reset so you can try again. Also, let me know what time you originally tried and I will adjust your time accordingly

Edited by Cach-U-Nuts
Just tried to submit a find on one of the requirements and got back a database error, and now it won't let me submit again for 24 hours. The one I tried to log doesn't show up, doh. I sent a problem report to their site contact email.

We may have bumped into each other as I was uploading an update to the web page. Your time has been reset so you can try again. Also, let me know what time you originally tried and I will adjust your time accordingly

Thank you for all your hard work on this game! :huh: Have you had to quit your day job? :cool:

Thanks for the very quick fix! I was able to get the requirement logged with no trouble this time. I had originally submitted it at around 12:45pm MT (half hour ago) but that's no big deal.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

DREADFULL IS THE NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me first mate informs me that some selfish scurulous scum eating malodorous filthy pack of pirate thieves have . . . .

Oh wait a minute, Pepper didn't want us doing that anymore. . . . sorry.

Various Questions

Were you really considering stopping the game because of cheaters?

HAR DEE HARR HARR!!! Can't an old pirate have sum fun! Crafty old pirates like us like to scrape the barnacles of the hull now and then to speed things up. Some people just can't take a joke. . . . sheesh!

Did hackers get an advance copy of the treasure map?

Sonny Boy, This ain't our first trezur map game. We know how easy it is to see the source of images in a web page so we set up a little trap. In this case it was a harmless joke but watch out. Next time it could be deadly!

Did these hackers get any information from the phony map that would help them get a head start?

Well, they saw squares 1 and 2 because that was the bait to lure them in and make them think they were pulling a fast one on us. Squares 3 to 16 were just of a blank scroll with no map information and only contained code symbols that were part of the trap.

But maybe it's an advantage to have worked with the code symbols. In that case you should all have the same advantage.

I really, really want to see that phony map! How do I see it?

OK, OK, a lesson in pirate crafitness and sneakery is in order. A fart smeller. . I mean a smart feller would look at the web page with his or her first map piece and would view the source to see where the map image was loaded from. He or she would notice the the map image was called map1.gif and all the other map squares were called unfound.jpg. OOOH. . . . that gives a greedy grimy pirate an idea!

hmmmm

http://www.cachunuts.com/coinquest/map1.gif

a little scissor work

a little scotch tape

ok enuf already. go on. get outa here. But don't forget to clean out all the officers chamber pots and swab the decks before you go. This place is a pig pen

Thank you for all your hard work on this game!  :cool: Have you had to quit your day job?  :huh:

No but they may show me the door if I'm not careful!

If only I could make enuf money from the pillaging. . . ah that wud be the life.

I had originally submitted it at around 12:45pm MT (half hour ago)

We'll get you taken care of.

Edited by Cach-U-Nuts

Would a cache in the Theodore's Walk series (GCR7NK, GCR7N9, GCR7M1, GCR7MX) count toward the dog requirement? The series is dedicated to the daily walk the owner takes with her Bassett Hound Theodore.

I believe it would, but do not want to loose my place if you do not and pull it.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

-S.

Q1 - If a virtual is placed in 2003, can it count for the 2003 cache placement since you didn't specify logbook cache only for that description write up?

Q2 - A 4-part multicache around a historic building has the 2nd stage at a statue of a confederate soldier. Can this count for the statue requirement?

Edited by AtlantaGal

I just want to say, despite our late start, I am having fun, not only reading this thread but doing the research and going on the hunt for the qualifying caches! Makes it feel like a scavenger hunt and a race all in one and I plan to finish it even if I miss out on the coin hand out. If I miss the coin, so be it, won't be the first time procrasination cost me something but it's no biggie as it's the thrill of the hunt and getting outside that makes it fun, I will just give myself a 'GeoBrownie' point. :cool: