250 Free Coins

Cach-U-Nuts

I didn't add on some of my posts on the 12th or 13th that this was a coin quest requirement cache. If I log them into the contest (one day at a time of course :ph34r: ) would they be disqualified? If I edit the entries to add coin quest would that be ok or would that disqualify those entries? Thanks Logs from now on will say that as I didn't see it in the rules originally.........

Just edit your logs. As long as there not before the 12, they are fine. I forgot on about 10 of them and had to go back and edit myself.

phoenixrose must of found a glitch in the system as she has 6 caches logged!

Hmm...maybe she knows somebody on the inside? Nah just kidding I have a feeling the Cach-U-Nut aren't that type of folks.

How ever that happen I'm feel sure it will get fixed.

The nice folks down in my area at the Houston Geocaching Society have been a huge help to me in finding the caches I need.

Going out today a bag a few more.

Pepper

Shiver me Timbers.....thar be som scurvy bugs on board - they be cast aside over board.

Even though it showed 6 logs for a short time, there was only ever 2 map pieces shown! And sorry Phoenix Rose, we had to cast yer event log off as well...you'll have to repost that one after the event....and yes, we realize that if you're the HOST you'll be attending but, it's too far off to pre-log it...hope your understand!!

Just found this and registered for it, I know I'm already quite abit behind since others are just waiting their 24hrs for each one found.

my question(s), for the move a TB:

must the TB be picked up as part of this, or can it be one that was picked up before the 12th?

must it be a TB that you haven't possesed before?

must it be someone elses TB?

Maybe that would be a good task for the next quest? release a TB or a trackable coin?

Thanks for the Quest :ph34r:

-Mike

Not So Lost Puppies

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies
Just found this and registered for it, I know I'm already quite abit behind since others are just waiting their 24hrs for each one found.

my question(s), for the move a TB:

must the TB be picked up as part of this, or can it be one that was picked up before the 12th? 

must it be a TB that you haven't possesed before?

must it be someone elses TB?

Don't worry about getting a late start. Not everyone who starts will stay the course and finish so there should be no problem getting into the top 250 who will receive a coin. As far as the travel bug goes, we didn't stipulate about bug ownership so you can score a bug even if you own it. When you picked it up doesn't matter. What matter's is that you drop it in a cache after November 12th.

For the dog cache, if a dog's name shows up as one of the cache placers. An example is

Everybody Loves Tekka by Tekka and Hawaii Monkey Boy (GCM0F8)

In this case Tekka is a Canine American and her name is listed as one of the placers.

1bcb7ac7-59c8-4039-823c-15846e7b324b.jpg

A cache in a dog park or off leash area would be great to use for the dog requirement.

Edited by Cach-U-Nuts
.....And sorry xxx, we had to cast yer event log off as well...you'll have to repost that one after the event....and yes, we realize that if you're the HOST you'll be attending but, it's too far off to pre-log it...

If I am going to count hosting an event as our "placing a cache" requirement, do I have to wait until the day it takes place to count it or is that just for attending? As a point of reference, our event is planned for Jan. 28. (Cache page not up yet due to lack of html skills on my part!)

So, are you getting tired of all the questions yet? ;)

Mrs. Car54

If I am going to count hosting an event as our "placing a cache" requirement, do I have to wait until the day it takes place to count it or is that just for attending?  As a point of reference, our event is planned for Jan. 28.

Well, let's think about it a bit. . . . .

Ok, if the event is listed on geocaching then you can count it as a cache placed since we said place any kind of cache.

As far as the pedestrian tunnel. . . . . .

We'll have to so no on that one. Sorry.

This contest is awesome. I am really excited about it. I got my bookmark list ready and everything. I hope I got my first in there early enough to get a coin!!

Quick question: Does the Travel Bug drop requirement necessitate a trip to a new cache? Or on that one could it be just a note on a visited cache with a TB drop. Just out of curiosity, I plan on dropping some bugs into new caches anyways...

FTF HERE WE COME!  ;)  New caches just posted in our area! Out the door! Good Bye!  ;)

WOO HOO! Got this one crossed off our list! :D

This one is probably going to be one of the hardest ones for me because we have some avid FTFrs in our area that I just can't compete with.

--Marky

Quick question: Does the Travel Bug drop requirement necessitate a trip to a new cache? Or on that one could it be just a note on a visited cache with a TB drop. Just out of curiosity, I plan on dropping some bugs into new caches anyways...

Since the point is to drop a travel bug we will allow it to be in a cache you have visited previously. However, It must be a different cache than any used for other requirements. In other words, by the time you are finished you will need to have 16 distinct caches listed. The program has been modified to check and if the same GC number is used a second time you will get a nasty message from the Cap'n and be sent back to try again.

Edited by Cach-U-Nuts
QUOTE (lpyankeefan @ Nov 14 2005, 07:13 PM)

QUOTE (lpyankeefan @ Nov 14 2005, 03:35 PM)

FTF HERE WE COME!    New caches just posted in our area! Out the door! Good Bye!   

WOO HOO! Got this one crossed off our list! 

This one is probably going to be one of the hardest ones for me because we have some avid FTFrs in our area that I just can't compete with.

--Marky

Its going to be the hardest for me too. I've been caching since June and have 135 finds but still no FTFs. I don't think one is going to fall into my lap just because I need it.

QUOTE (lpyankeefan @ Nov 14 2005, 07:13 PM)

QUOTE (lpyankeefan @ Nov 14 2005, 03:35 PM)

FTF HERE WE COME!    New caches just posted in our area! Out the door! Good Bye!   

WOO HOO! Got this one crossed off our list! 

--Marky

Its going to be the hardest for me too. I've been caching since June and have 135 finds but still no FTFs. I don't think one is going to fall into my lap just because I need it.

I agree..... probably the toughest of the 16 for me.... I think we technically average 1 FTF in about every 250 caches we do... and that with once finding 2 in a day and once 3 in a day... so it's probably really 1 in 500 in practice....

Southern California is full of people who have strange schedules and are able to go caching at a moments notice.. The competition to find FTF's is fierce....

We'll have to say no on that one. Sorry.

No problem. Just wanted to ask. Looks like TN and a vacation day during the week it is then.

I'm with ya AG looks likes I have a 300 mile drive ahead of me out to the west of Austin to do this cache. Road trip!

Pepper

Edited by Pepper

No problem. Just wanted to ask. Looks like TN and a vacation day during the week it is then.

I'm with ya AG looks likes I have a 300 mile drive ahead of me out to the west of Austin to do this cache. Road trip!

Pepper

Well compare the cost of gas versus a cheepie air fare on Air Tran cause you could always fly over here and go with us! ;)

On a side note, I just submitted a new cache. So that's another one down. Woo!

Edited by AtlantaGal

Pepper

LOL! I will be joining ya there on that cache!

This contest is awesome. I am really excited about it. I got my bookmark list ready and everything.

That's a good idea - why didn't I think of that? I have picked all the caches I'm going to do except one.

And of course I just have to wait for a virgin cache to pop up. I may even break my caching rule for the first time ever and go out for a find without one of the rugrats along.

Pepper

I'm driving 200 miles this weekend for an event, which coincidentally, has a dog-park cache nearby..... ;)

Another question....Do monuments count as statues?  As in these 2 caches, GCPP00 & GCK17P.

I haven't looked at your examples. . . kind of busy . . .

But for clarification let's just say that to be a statue it must be something that is carved in a human likeness. Lets clarify it a little further to say that it must have the likeness of a human face in three dimensional relief so a bust would qualify but a sculpture of a hand or other body part that doesn't include a head would not count. Likewise, a two dimensional carving of a face would not qualify.

Another question....Do monuments count as statues?  As in these 2 caches, GCPP00 & GCK17P.

I haven't looked at your examples. . . kind of busy . . .

But for clarification let's just say that to be a statue it must be something that is carved in a human likeness. Lets clarify it a little further to say that it must have the likeness of a human face in three dimensional relief so a bust would qualify but a sculpture of a hand or other body part that doesn't include a head would not count. Likewise, a two dimensional carving of a face would not qualify.

No problem, your clarification helps. Thanks.

On the Coin Quest page, the Leaderboard has the top 150 players. How many people are actually playing?

Just checked and right now there are 291 new people signed up for the game. This doesn't count the Utah players that had already signed up on our site.

So don't be dragging yer feet. Thar will be sum wailing and gnashing of teeth when sum of yall miss out on the plunderin!

If I can pull my head above water long enough to take a breath or two I'll see about getting next option to show the next page on the leader board.

Are there two leaderboards?  Or is anyone ranked higher than 150 just not displayed?

We just opened up the leader board to show all players. People with dial up internet will probably hate it because the page will be very slow to load. If there are a lot of complaints we will figure something else out.

The leader board shows 193 players. That means there are 100 or so players that have signed up but not logged anything yet.

"Just how dumb do you think us old pirates are?  The jokes on you!"

Har dee har har! We wuz wunderin who wud be the first plunderin filthy scallywag to try such a low down dirty rotten cheatin pirate trick like that. . . . . yo ho ho and a har dee har har!

Ahoy mateys! Break out the kegs and pour out a round of rum for all. We be drinkin a big toast to the mangy rag tag salty dogs known as the Sinbad7Seas pirates! Lucky they be to get away with their lives and limbs intact. In times past the trap would have been more deadly!

And let this be a warnin to yall. Many a bloke met their demise by under estimating us old pirates. Many a snare and danger lie in wait fer them that don't see sharp an step lively!

Well, this old pirate Sinbad hasn't walked the plank yet.  :lol: 

When it comes to treasure, all's fair in love and geocaching.

Might this pirate have earned a gold coin for his efforts?  :drama:

-Sinbad7Seas (mangy rag tag salty dog)

Jest praise yer luky stars ya havent been keelhauled and strung up the mizzen mast and then cast adrift in a leaky long boat! (not to mention banned from future games fer a year!)

Bet sum folks wunder wut this fuss is all about. Well they jest aint sneaky enuf.

Anyway, on the latest activity page you can now click the cache icons to get a list of all of a particular type of cache.

<snip> is there a way to do a search for lat/long coords ending in the same number?

I would be interested in knowing if there is a shortcut for this too. I did it the hard way - by going through all the pages of nearby caches I haven't found and looking at each one seperately until I found one. But before I did, I found at least a half dozen with coords like .998 or .667 - very frustrating I must say!

But I found one and it's only about 20 miles away. :lol:

I would suggest requesting a pocket query, and then using GSAK or some other similar tool to just scroll down the list that is sorted by distance from your house until you find one. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to find one that way.

--Marky

That's exactly what I did... imported a Pocket Query into GSAK and then scrolled down. And I was pleasantly surprised to find 7 caches within 20 miles of my house that have last three matching digits!

Puuh...this is a hard game! We started saturday night German time when we found out about this and could hold up with our logs until last night. But then we slept through (working again is just different to a free weekend) and when I logged our no. 4 this morning we've dropped down from 2nd place to 17th place. Wow - that goes quick within a few hours sleep. :lol:

But as long as we can still manage to finish the game "in time" and get one of these desirable coins we will be happy. The hard ones for us are still to come (FTF, event and cave). So it will be appr. 1.000 miles on the road this weekend. Crazy? Yes, absolutely - and real great fun! :D:D:P

Edit: I forgot the "river" cache - hard to find in Germany but we have an eye on one about 250 miles away...

Edited by Balla & Silly

Okay, I've wondered this from day 1 and have been putting off asking. Please, please, please don't take this as an insult or anything, but I'd really like to know why everyone is so anxious to get a coin with nothing but a commercial advertisment on one side. Yes, it's your site so there's nothing wrong with it, but it's certainly nothing I would drive 1000+ miles to get... I'd like to know just what about this coin is making people spend a fortune on gas. I don't get it.

Okay, I've wondered this from day 1 and have been putting off asking. Please, please, please don't take this as an insult or anything, but I'd really like to know why everyone is so anxious to get a coin with nothing but a commercial advertisment on one side. Yes, it's your site so there's nothing wrong with it, but it's certainly nothing I would drive 1000+ miles to get... I'd like to know just what about this coin is making people spend a fortune on gas. I don't get it.

Because it's not about the coin! It's about the adventure and getting out side to do some caching and setting goals for yourself and watching the leader board and driving 300 miles to do a Cave Cache, it's coming together of like mined folks, it's the friendly competition, it's looking forward to the next adventure, it's friendly folks like the Cache-U-Nuts who take the time to set up such a creative game for others to enjoy that's my reason, oh and the price of gas is cheap down where I live not a problem!

I have more reason but those were the first to come to mind!

Pepper

oh.. oh.. oh.. anotehr reason it's placing 251st and still being totally happy!

edit ~ added a reason!

Edited by Pepper

Thanks for some serious replies (if this were the general forums I bet that wouldn't have happened :D). It sounds like fun doing all the caches, no doubt. It's more cost effective for me to find the ones that aren't 300 miles from me, though. :lol: I guess we all need to just decided what we're willing to do to obtain an "unobtainable" coin!

D'oh. Is it true the final treasure map gives you hints to go search for the coin??!! Possibly in Utah??!! Woops, I thought it was mailed to you after you finished everything and decoded something on the map...