Which Topo For Hiking Trails

dhbaird

I want to use my new 76cs for some hiking in some pretty far away places from here. I often do not have access to topo maps that cover that area, so I am looking for the best hiking trail oriented mapping program.

Do any of the mountain clubs, like Sierra Club or Appalachian Mountain Club have their trail maps digitized? Is there a user group some place that might have done some of this work?

I recently found a site called the Caribbean Map Project that had maps of many of the islands I visit, not good enough for navagation on the waters, would still need Blue Chart for that, but good enough to get around the islands on. Caribbean Map Project

So I was wondering if there was a repository of Topo hiking maps like that some place.

If you want to load the Map into your GPS your are going to limited to the Garmin products.

If you want to print topo maps to take with you, the best for Topograghy would be the National geographic starte topo map. THese are scanned USGS maps, but they are not going to include a lot of trial information. But you can down trails to overlay on the maps from their web site NGtopo

I don't usually rely on USGS maps or GPS maps for trails. The newest USGS maps are form the 70s and most trails have changed since then, unless it's the Appallachian or something. I usually try to find maps at local stores or trail associations. I found a pretty good trail map for the Pinhoti online that someone made over a USGS map. I sent off to the BMTA for Benton McKaye trail maps.

Yes but current trail information can be download from the NG web site and added to the USGS map software that is sold by natiional geographic. This infromation is provided by hikers and others that map the trails while hiking them. USGS maps are intended to show topograghpy which is why they are not updated on a regular bases. Being they are topo maps there is not a lot af reason for them to be updated, topography does not not change all that much.

The national geographice trail smart maps will have trail information but not much in the way of Topography.

NG Map exchange

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Also try LocalHikes, they list tons of trails and you can download the NG Topo routes for every one. NG Topo will let you export routes for your Garmin (but not for my eXplorist ;) ). It is a very cool trail site and unlike trails.com, it's free ;) .

The newest GPSBabel is supposed to have NG Topo support in it. I haven't actually sat down to verify that us Explorist users are back in the game, but I am hopeful.

If you want to load the Map into your GPS your are going to limited to the Garmin products.

Or make your own.

You can often find waypoints, tracks and scanned maps of other lcoales though. In addition to National Geographic, here is a post I did on downloading tracks from MotionBased. There are numerous other sites out there with data, such as www.travelbygps.com. One of these days I'm going to post a list!

You can always do a search for Carribean waypoints or .gpx, etc.

For scanned maps, ask at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L/

HTH

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

Also try LocalHikes, they list tons of trails and you can download the NG Topo routes for every one.  NG Topo will let you export routes for your Garmin (but not for my eXplorist :drama: ). It is a very cool trail site and unlike trails.com, it's free  :lol: .

The newest GPSBabel is supposed to have NG Topo support in it. I haven't actually sat down to verify that us Explorist users are back in the game, but I am hopeful.

GPSbabel only supports .tpg, not .tpo :drama: . The problem is that none of the newer software uses .tpg and therefore trail sites only offer downloads in .tpo format. I was excited about this month's beta release of GPSbabel-- the interface is getting really nice, but still no .tpo support!

You would think NG would have come up with an update for us eXplorist users by now.... :lol: .

Edited by Cache Heads