Military/vets Geocoin Club

oldnavy59

:) My opinion on whether or not the coins are trackable, is that maybe for the first coin make it kind of a generally military type, that isn't trackable but sequentially numbered, for the initial collecting value, and then later make a few trackable editions. If this is going to be a club venture, why not do some of each way to please all. I just think it would be pointless to make the more collectible ones trackable when they're not likely to be put into caches, as I am under the assumption that tracking numbers are of considerable expense. :lol::o:):) Edited by 57chevy

If you have slots for non-vets, count me in. I am a VA nurse and have been caring for vets on an acute psychiatry floor for 14 years. My dad was army and a nursing assistant here and met my mom at this VA.

Veterans Affairs Medical Center--the price of freedom is visible here

"To care for he who hath born the battle, and his widow, and his orphan"--Abraham Lincoln

Edited by maggieszoo

are you a vet or have a military connection? not sure when or how we are going to cut it off so right now if you have posted here or e-mailed me your in.some will be mil/vets some will be assc members meaning that even though they didnt serve they have the connection ie military family member or a nurse at the va BUT alll the coins will have a military flavor

Well...not sure if I'm in or out but I do have ideas.

Several Series:

One covers all the conflicts the US has been in, in addition to any other art on the front the back side has the service medal/ribbon for the conflict, and perhaps a historical blurb. vser.gif

Another series covers the branches of the US military past to present . The art on one side becomes their logo. The back has a historical blurb.USMCSeal.jpg

A third series covers the civilian support organizations that make life easier for soldiers. large%20vfw%20logo.gif

A potential 4th series is the medals of honor, valor, purple heart etc. that can be earned and their meaning.

There is room for a few more series but it would make this coin group a lifetime thing and maybe it already is to do it right.

Each coin is trackable somewhere which is the geocaching tie in (or something else that ties them into geocaching...) member cost 1.00 more than cost. That 1.00 goes to something in support of the military, if it's one of the support groups it goes straight to them.

Made in the USA would be appropriate for these coins. Membership would be somewhat larger than the standard group. The series would run for many years, with quarterly coin issues (I'm not in a rush). If a member leaves they can appoint their successor (failing that it's open for applications).

Just by rough count i think we are at about 50 i think 75 would be a fair number. members would be given an option to by 2 coins and then maybe have a preorder for non members. any designer wanna try with the idea i had for the first coin?? maybe the first coin a non trackable sequentially numbered for members only or do a silver for members and a bronze for non members?

Just by rough count i think we are at about 50 i think 75 would be a fair number. members would be given an option to by 2 coins and then maybe have a preorder for non members. any designer wanna try with the idea i had for the first coin?? maybe the first coin a non trackable sequentially numbered for members only or do a silver for members and a bronze for non members?

E-mail sent

My vote is for trackable coins, or at least the first of each series being trackable and having its own icon. We could use the themes that Renegade Knight mentioned, and have 1 coin each quarter and 4 coins per series. This would keep it alive for years.

The idea about separate color/metal coins for members vs non-members is very good.

Okay first in my opinion everyone who has posted here has either a direct or indirect link to the military even had some from the UK which is great so if you have posted here I say your in

second someone that is a little more computer savy then I and wants to get a group set up in yahoo lets go for it

Okay first in my opinion everyone who has posted here has either a direct or indirect link to the military even had some from the UK which is great so if you have posted here I say your in

second someone that is a little more computer savy then I and wants to get a group set up in yahoo lets go for it

i don have my complete list with me but i think we are at about 42 plus a couple of assc members should we have a cap on members or keep it open? it would be awesome if we could get a coin out before christmas.should it be trackable or not, seperate icon?

I hate to exclude anyone but on the other side of the coin so to speak, having an unlimited number decreases the collectibility and trade potential. Also with a cap you can reasonably set a number of coins to mint and not have to feel pressured to increase the order due to demand.

What is the goal of the coin, to get them out to people, like myself, who had a parent serve in the military or to increase the value for trading?

I understand you dont want to produce too many as to have them sitting around, but I think there is a good balance.

My suggestion would be to make about 500 of them. That is usually where the next break in pricing is, you can expect to sell out of the 500 and you have enough where the trading is normalized.

Just a thought.

Ok a yahoo group has been set up. I have sent invites to the 57 people that have indicated an interest so far (including those who other people put placeholders in for). Those spots will be guranteed for at least 5 days before being filled with anyone from a waiting list (assuming one is eventually created after the cap is set).

If you didn't get an invite post here and I'll get one sent out to you.

I wasn't able to find Alabama Rambler in the gc.com profiles, could someone please send him the link? He's got a spot on the list.

The current list is

oldnay59

gobolts

shop99er

marky

joani

team leggoes

old hippy and granny

outdoorlady79

outdoorman63

tigger's mango

GA cacher

Thorny1

Alabama Rambler

mr. and mrs. Smith

cog&gil

keving68

blind avacado

nielsenc

geohills

57chevy

cavscout

palm grunt

rjw661

team silver

slammer 180

biggeeks

damenace

danceswithmoose

M&M Hunter

G Force

GrandpaKim

Cent5

GrizzFlyer

Toojin & Bart

lpyankeefan

SeventhSon

GEO*Trailblazer 1

Team Poppo

geolands

StressMaster

Flyrfn

pghlooking

wildwoodbob

Prariepartners

Kiltedcacher

maggieszoo

TeamKozmo

4agers

vargseld

Team BigDawg

Renegade Knight

Rojeel

AZPaul

cjbooks

elmosmelmo

2Wheel'in

DHobby1

slammer thats when the idea came to me also but didnt have time to post until today  so far i have 25 names of vets and 2 non vets but who have expressed some interest. not sure about the monetary part but i think after 1 or 2 coins it would become self sustaining. when i joined GC.com i really liked the geoocoin part of it remeinds me of Challenge coins I won many a drink with my SECDEF coin

Ditto :mad: Challenge coins got me interested in Geocoins. Better have yours next time I see you :signalviolin: .

And ditto on that here as well. We have about 50 challenge coins! :(