Ltf

I have been last-to-find 2 times. The first time was after I stupidly decided to trespass to find the cache so I could report back that the cache was intact, but on private property. The owner archived it for obvious reasons. The second time was at a really unique and tricky hide, but it was one of those things in plain sight that could be vandalized or stolen. I was 1 of only 2 to find that cache, and last to find. Then there was the time I was searching for a cache at the edge of a Target parking lot. I looked up and saw a guy on the roof of the Target looking in my direction. I was so worried that this would lead to the cache getting muggled/removed. The day after my find, a DNF was posted and 2 days after my find the cache was archived. But get this, two days after being archived, another cacher found it! The cache remained archived, and two weeks later the last finder said the cache was gone.

We were LTF at least four times, with four different results.

(1) On this cache, the cache owner went out to the cache to upgrade the container to an ammo can less than 24 hours after I had found it. It had vanished. It wasn't archived, and since the owner had a new container with him anyway, he just replaced it. But the logbook & contents were gone -- including a brand new TB of ours that I had started off in that cache.

(2) Five weeks after we found this night cache, someone logged a DNF. Cache owner verified that it was gone, and it is currently disabled, pending replacement. This one also had a brand-new TB of ours in it.

(3) We found this cache, and a week later it was reported missing. The owner archived it. Luckily we hadn't dropped a TB in this one.

(4) There's one I can't provide a link to, as it was only active for about two hours. Like SeventhSon, I was FTF, LTF, OTF on it. It turned out that it didn't conform to the guidelines, and so it was retracted almost immediately, but not before I managed to find it and log it.

So we've hit for the cycle, having LTFs that ended in replacement, disabling, archival, and retraction.

LTF should not be a metric anybody encourages. If it becomes a popular metric, we can then start to see caches being stolen so that people can claim LTFs.

(Of course, it would be easier to spot the cache thieves by the number of LTFs they claim.)

:laughing:

Like Teamhawaii1981 & blueicyrose, I worry whether we have been seen. This is a big worry when all 9 of us go out. I also worry whether we have re-hidden the cache well enough. I worry about it enough that I periodically check back until the cache is found again.

It is NOT my intention to encourage people to destroy or steal caches to "boost" their Last to Find numbers. That is ludicrous. I just wanted to hear some of the stories related to being LTF.

LTF should not be a metric anybody encourages.

Neither is serious physical injuries, but people start threads on them all the time. Your point?

I was LTF thrice. Once, the cache was archived when I went to log (owner inattention on a soggy final stage), twice it was muggled after my visit. It's the latter that preys on the mind.

We were last to find on a cache that required a mile long hike to a location on the Connecticut River. When we got there, we found cache contents strewn across a wide area. It looked like the cache didn't survive a recent flood. But since we found the log book (which by some miracle was actually dry), we signed it and claimed the find. Then we picked up all the contents, carried them out, and contacted the owner to let them know about it. They promptly archived the cache. We finished our on-line log with, "Took the cache; left nothing."

Edited by Team Tired Boy

Yeah, I get nervous about being last to find. It has only happened once so far; on a micro in a VERY public area and the cache warned that you needed to be extremely cautious about retrieving. I would be more paranoid that we had done something wrong if it weren't for the fact that I have passed by it 20+ times since finding it and saw that it was still there.

I hate to be LTF before a cache goes missing, since I try my best to employ stealth and rehide the cache as good as I found it. Sometimes, when there are too many muggles, I won't go for the smiley.

I have done a deliberate LTF on a cache that was abandoned and archived, and I suspected from doing research that it was still there. In that case, I was happy to be LTF. :laughing:

I have been LTF a couple of times. Once, I was seen and the muggle children wrecked it. The second one, the owner couldn't find it the day after I logged my find and archived it! I went back and it was still there, so I took it home and emailed the owner, but have yet to hear back. I have since placed my own cache near that spot.

I was the LTF on this fantastic hide by Sissy & CR Old Santee Canal Park - Heron . For the life of me can't think of anything I did to compromise the cache location. Found it early in the morning without a muggle in sight. This cache was tough and really took some work to get to so it seems unlikely it was accidently found. It was well secured so I can't imagine it dislodged from its location. In any case I guess its human nature but you always question if there was anything you did that could have led to its discovery. I am glad Sissy chose to replace it because it is a great location for a cache.

Edited by nctreker

We've never had a FTF (we've never tried) so I thought maybe we could be LTF.

We saw a note on the cache page that the cache was going to be archived on 10 Sept. So on that date we went out caching and took a chance that we would beat the owner to the cache. We were correct, we got to the cache before the owner and the cache wasn't too bad, but it did need some TLC. However, the owner never pulled the cache on that date and others logged the find as recent as 15 Nov, but the cache was getting progressively worse from the logs written. Finally on 16 Nov a volunteer reviewer temp archived the cache.

I would not like to be LTF because we rehid the cache poorly and it was muggled. I would feel really bad and guilty.

Have you been "Last to Find"? Do you think you may have unwittingly or accidentally played a role in the demise of the cache?

I was First, Last and Only To Find on this cache. One I'll never forget.

OK, so that Micro was archived last year. How are travel bugs still being logged into it as of last month? Is that a way to log all bugs that come into one of your own caches? Just stick them in an archived cache and back to the real one before anyone notices? Just wondered.

Have you been "Last to Find"? Do you think you may have unwittingly or accidentally played a role in the demise of the cache?

I was First, Last and Only To Find on this cache. One I'll never forget.

OK, so that Micro was archived last year. How are travel bugs still being logged into it as of last month? Is that a way to log all bugs that come into one of your own caches? Just stick them in an archived cache and back to the real one before anyone notices? Just wondered.

You would have to discuss that with the ones logging the bugs in and out of it .

I had an LTH (last to have) on a travel bug. It was a stupid thing to do- I gave it away to someone who said they knew about geocaching but apparently thought it was right to keep the bug. Now it's lost. I feel real bad about it still cuz it was someone's doll or something taking a trip. That was when I was a new cacher- it didn't ruin caching for me though, which is a relief!

I've been last to find a few caches. One was severely vandalized and the decorated ammo can was missing, but the log book and goodies were there. A couple were in such bad shape that they were archived .. probably as a result of my logs. Don't think any have gone missing because of my rehiding as I usually leave them better hidden than when I find them, and as far as I know I have never been observed at a site, except a couple times by other approaching cachers.