Any Mac Osx Cachers...

TeamVilla5

I, too, am a Mac Cacher. There are quite a few programs for Mac. Go to www.versiontracker.com and search for "gps" and you'll find a bunch of programs. OR, just click here.

My favorite app of those is "GPS Connect." It's free, pretty simple, and it works.

I believe there's another app there that actually will map out the waypoints you download... I think it's "TopoDraw," but I could be wrong.

Hope that helps.

I am a mac user. As my t-shirt says, "I think, therefore iMac." My iMac G5 20" can show a lot of caches onscreen. I use MacGPS to d/l waypoints but anymore I'm becoming convinced that the #1 program you can use for caching on a mac is VirtualPC, and for one reason: GSAK. Geocaching Swiss Army Knife is the best thing you can do for your caching, and there's no mac native version (yet).

Before you sink hard earned into the simulator for that other platform, I'd question whether Virtual PC v.7 is going to be USB savvy. Or worse still, serial > Keyspan >USB. I have been of the same thinking; running VPC7 and getting the most out of all this greatness, but Ive heard one too many horror stories about hardware recognition , drivers , speed issues etal.

I dont want to be a wetblanket, heck this is the closesest I would ever get to buying Microsoft anything ( I dont think I'll ever feel clean ), I just would want a heads up.-pc

Edited by viking66

I use MacGPSPro for transfering waypoints and track logs to/from my Garmin Summit in OS X. I like it's ability to use any map you can get for viewing them too. It's a little bit of work to calibrate a map for overlay, but the actual transfer of data is as easy as it should be. Point, click, transfer.

And you can add waypoints to your "map" just by clicking on it...and then transfer them to your GPSr...kinda like fine-tuning your points if needed...

I also use MacGPSBabel to translate .gpx cache files into addressbook entries and then upload them to my iPod for paperless caching.

MacGPSPro isn't free, but so far it's been worth the cost.

I'm using Mac OSX 10.4, with a Palm E2 & Bluetooth GPS. Not only do I have to find Mac SW, but it needs to work with Palm sw too.

Currently, I use CacheMate and CacheNav on the Palm. CacheMate stores all the cache info (including descriptions, logs, etc) and CacheNav does the GPS bit. On the Mac side, I use MacCMConvert to convert the GSX files (single waypoints and pocket queries too) to Palm DB files, then hotsync them over.

For maps, I rely on the geocaching.com map on the cache page. CacheMate doesn't do map overlays, so I'm out of luck there. If I find a Palm program that does map overlays, cache logging and nearest-caches searching (a la Cachemate), and the GPS navigation for caching, I'll be a happy camper.

So, let me see...

Ive got a Garmin Rino, that'll only take Garmin maps. Right? Thats OK I got that part covered I think.

As a mac user, Im with out the seamlessness of one mapping software that I may visualize / organize and easily transpose info to my GPS receiver; i.e MapSource.

I am however, able to up load; using MacGPSBable and geocache.com waypoints (.loc file) and send them into my GPS : geocaching minimum needs are met.

Missing really is the ablility to pull GPS info of mine, down into my mapping( which I have not got. yet ).

Are there any solid solutions for mapping on a Mac?

Is there something else Im missing? A level of functionality I could use better?

Lots questions eh? Sorry Im new here. BTW, Hi, Im Paul and I dont know how this could be, but with this GPS in my hand, I still feel a little lost.

Thanks in advance, -pc

I'm using Geoniche on a Palm T5 in association with a (Holux 236) Bluetooth GPSr. I use the Easyniche java application which comes bundled with Geoniche to transfer LOC files to the Palm on Mac OSX 10.4

http://www.raydarllc.com/

I've found Geoniche to be a true paperless solution and Easyniche takes care of converting the LOC file to a .pdb file for use on the Palm device.

lmj

Unfortunately, MacSimpleGPS doesn't support USB.

I've found that there is really no great solution for Mac users who own a GPSr with USB (like a Vista C for example). You can use the GarminUSB Tool (freeware available at www.versiontracker.com) to download waypoints, tracks and routes, but you can only upload tracks. I don't mean to sound unappreciative - I'm grateful for anything written for the Mac.

But nothing, and I mean nothing, seems to be useful for uploading map data to a Garmin USB GPSr from a Mac. (I would LOVE to be corrected on this if someone has found a solution.) Garmin simply doesn't support Mac users, so we're out of luck on that particular point. You either have to borrow a friend's PC to upload map data, or you have to keep an ugly-stepchild windoze machine around.

I purchased a cheap used PC for $40. I use that to download the maps.

Since we have a Etrex Legend and a GPS Map 60c, I use MacSimpleGPS and my Mac to download waypoints using a serial connection.

If you are a Mac user, you want to buy a GPS with a serial connection or both serial and USB. This is why we did not purchase the Legend C--it's USB only.

Yeah, I know...hindsight is 20/20 :signalviolin:

I'm totally new to this and am also a Mac user. I've been looking for software to use for 'caching as well and really have only found Mac SimpleGPS. It works well enough to send and receive waypoints, but I wish it could do more.

For me, it was worth picking up an old laptop just to run GSAK.

I use MacGPSPro for transfering waypoints and track logs to/from my Garmin Summit in OS X. I like it's ability to use any map you can get for viewing them too. It's a little bit of work to calibrate a map for overlay, but the actual transfer of data is as easy as it should be. Point, click, transfer.

And you can add waypoints to your "map" just by clicking on it...and then transfer them to your GPSr...kinda like fine-tuning your points if needed...

I also use MacGPSBabel to translate .gpx cache files into addressbook entries and then upload them to my iPod for paperless caching.

MacGPSPro isn't free, but so far it's been worth the cost.

I also use MacGPS Pro with OS X. Have been for many years. Calibrating maps has just gotten simpler, as Dr. Lawrence is selling calibrated maps for quite a few states.

Before I saw this, I bought a set of GPS maps from DRG Maps and ran them through MacGPSPro to get the calibrated PICT files it wants.

You can load .loc files into MacGPS Pro, as well.

Updates which add new features come frequently. I'm on version 6 now, but started on version 4, methinks -- it was quite a while ago, and a few computers back, when I started using my GPS III+ connected to the serial port on my old 7500.

I use the Keyspan Serial -> USB connector, with a cable I wired myself so I can keep a 12v power supply on the unit while I'm working with it.

There's a lot of information at the web site MacGPS Pro

You'll want to set up the "auto locate maps" feature if you cover a lot of area in your searches. Select the waypoint and tell MacGPS Pro to find the corresponding topo map on your computer. Sweet.

Here is the list of software that I use for the Mac operating system.

GPSBabel

A gps file format tool... A MUST HAVE converts gpx to palm capable files for different types of recievers and gps apps. I use the command line version, but there is a version called MacGPSBabel with a GUI

CMConvert

This app takes your pocket query GPX files and makes them work for cachemate on the palm and makes them a palm type file. a MUST HAVE if you use cachemate. I use the command line version, but there is a version called MacCMConvert with a GUI

BMGPX

bmgpx to reformat files on benchmarks from the NGS website to the GPX format. not as cool as maybe a pocket querry but still cool. This allows you to have the full descriptions and info for Benchmark files, which of course makes it much easier to find benchmarks.

TerraBrowser

A piece of mapping software that gathers both arial photos and topo maps from terra server without use of a web browser. It has GPS interface info and live tracking abilities(which I have yet to make work). You also can load caching loc and gpx file into the app and it will plot them all on the maps. It allows you it download a region based on distance for offline viewing, great for out of town caching trips.

Coordinate Converter

I have written a basic coord converter in applescript. It is useful for converting coordinates between a couple degree type formats. More conversion options will be added later. As it is right now you can convert between DegreeDecimal, DegreeMinuteDecimal, and DegreeMinuteSecond formats at will.

loc Builder

I also have written a basic coord converter and loc file creater/builder in applescript. It is useful for making a file for your GPS or Palm in the loc format.

I plan to get TOPO! one of these days. I have tried many other mapping SW and most all require manual calibration of maps and just isn't worth the effort to me.

I also am working on a caching specific piece of sw for mac users but life has interrupted my progress

I have just discovered the power of GSAK although clearly I have to hassle with VirtualPC to use it. I also use MacGPSpro and the Mac version of TOPO. It takes a little monkeying around with the data to convert a .gpx file from geocaching.com since I generally download and read email on the mac side. I bring it to the PC side through a shared folder. Once I sort, shift and play with the data in GSAK to get what I want, I export a .loc file through the shared folder to use with TOPO. Love seeing the points on the maps from National Geographic. IT's wonderful software. I use the same .loc file to transfer waypoints with MacGPSpro to my Garmin eTrex Vista. I can probably transfer the points through TOPO but it's so easy with MacGPSpro which I have been using for quite awhile.