Uk Geocoin Group

Moote

Here's one supplier I found in the USA whilst browsing the web last week

http://www.oakcoins.com/?geoswag

they do pin badges too.

The coin looks great. I found my first geocoin yesterday, it is a lightbulb shape that some one had made. Unfortunately it doesn't say who made it.

thanks for the recommendation - I have already looked at these and at the moment they seem the most likely one as they advertise they do shaped coins. In fact, by coincidence, the one they seem to be showing off on their web site is the Sock Puppet and I found one of these on Saturday - and it's what made me think it was about time I got a coin made for good old Eclectic.

incidentally, the image I've been using as my moniker up until now can't really be legally used as by right, it belongs to Monterey Bay Splash Zone, their penguin enclosure. I now have a new (rather rounder) image for Eclectic completely designed and drawn by myself that I'll probably start using soon!

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

I can recommend both oakcoins and coinsandpins, both are very good mints with great levels of service and customer support. You should factor in customs charges when you plan the coin but its hit and miss whether you will actually get charged any when the coins are shipped to you.

Both of the mints listed above will give you a total package - ie they handle shipping, activation codes, tracking codes for you.

If you need any help just give me a shout. I am on my third coin now and can say with hand on heart thats its a lot of fun and very rewarding to design something and finally get your hands on it - it feels like Xmas LOL.

Good luck with the coin. I will definitely be in for one when they are made.

Ian

Edited by studlyone

After Birdman of Liskatraz produced the 2007 Cornish geocoin I think he actually wrote up a page of info/advice about his experience of producing the geocoin. If you contact him through his profile I'm sure he'd give you the benefit of his wisdom :laughing:

MrsB

Waffle forwarded - as some I wouldn't wish to place in a public forum!

I have to say I've had very very positive vibes when working with Chris and Helen at Landsharkz in Canada and well certainly place the order for the next Cornish coin with them.

Be aware that some American mints promise "FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS" - check twice as to what that actually means!

And if anyone else would appreciate a copy of my notes, I'm happy to forward them.

For those who would like to know more about Liverpool click here! :laughing:

Capital of Culture News

Liverpool City Council established the Liverpool Culture Company in 2000 to co-ordinate its bid for European Capital of Culture 2008.

In June 2003 the government announced that Liverpool had beaten off eleven other contenders for the prestigious title.

Independent consultants estimate the title will attract £2bn of investment, 14,000 new jobs and an extra 1.7 million visitors. In addition, an extra £220 million will be spent by tourists, supporting 3,000 jobs.

Although the actual Capital of Culture year is 2008, each year up until 2010 is based around a particular theme, with hundreds of events taking place in the city to celebrate that particular aspect of cultural life in Liverpool.

2003 - The Year of Learning

2004 - The Year of Faith in One City

2005 - The Year of the Sea

2006 - Liverpool Performs incorporating Arts and Sport

2007 - Liverpool's 800th birthday

2008 - European Capital of Culture

2009 - Year of the Environment

2010 - Year of Innovation

Please see website below for full details.

www.liverpool08.com

cheers,

John :yikes:

www.lancashire-geocoins.co.uk

I think it's worth pointing out that no proceeds from the coin sales will go to the Royal British Legion, the charity which adopted the poppy as its emblem, and has been selling them in support of ex British & Commonwealth servicemen since 1921.

Good point, Don't think I'll bother with this one.

I think it's worth pointing out that no proceeds from the coin sales will go to the Royal British Legion, the charity which adopted the poppy as its emblem, and has been selling them in support of ex British & Commonwealth servicemen since 1921.

EXACTLY, that's why I posted on the geocoin forums early today that the poppy represents ALL the fallen. Although some cash (I think a dollar a coin) goes to Fisher House, nothing is going to the RBL :D

So I passed it by too, would prefer to donate directly to RBL.

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

EXACTLY, that's why I posted on the geocoin forums early today that the poppy represents ALL the fallen. Although some cash (I think a dollar a coin) goes to Fisher House, nothing is going to the RBL :lol:

I'm happy for my dollar to go to Fisher house, so I shall do both :D

Edited by The Blorenges

Perhaps we could organise our own UK version with 50p/£1 of each coin going to the Poppy Appeal? Any coinmakers reading this post willing to help? :lol: PM me. The Poppy Appeal people do fantastic work.

I felt I had to post after hearing a news item today about the increasing amount of people in the UK refusing to donate to the Poppy Appeal because 'veterans have nothing to do with them'. :D

Perhaps we could organise our own UK version with 50p/£1 of each coin going to the Poppy Appeal? Any coinmakers reading this post willing to help? :D PM me. The Poppy Appeal people do fantastic work.

I felt I had to post after hearing a news item today about the increasing amount of people in the UK refusing to donate to the Poppy Appeal because 'veterans have nothing to do with them'. :lol:

Well said, If someone organisers a UK poppy coin (funding the RBL), I'll have some! I would consider a minimum of £1 per coin going to the RBL to make it worth while.

Jon

EXACTLY, that's why I posted on the geocoin forums early today that the poppy represents ALL the fallen. Although some cash (I think a dollar a coin) goes to Fisher House, nothing is going to the RBL :D

I'm happy for my dollar to go to Fisher house, so I shall do both :lol:

I already support the Legion so I also am happy for Fisher House to get my 50p

Perhaps we could organise our own UK version with 50p/£1 of each coin going to the Poppy Appeal? Any coinmakers reading this post willing to help? :D PM me. The Poppy Appeal people do fantastic work.

I felt I had to post after hearing a news item today about the increasing amount of people in the UK refusing to donate to the Poppy Appeal because 'veterans have nothing to do with them'. :D

pm sent.

As a serving member of HM Forces and a member of the British Legion I'd be more than happy to assist.

Ian

Edited by studlyone

Well said, If someone organisers a UK poppy coin (funding the RBL), I'll have some! I would consider a minimum of £1 per coin going to the RBL to make it worth while.

Jon

Put me down for at least a couple of UK poppy coins :D

I would gladly purchase several UK inspired poppy coins with some proceeds going to the Poppy Appeal.

I always stock up on coins made by British cachers to use as swaps and thank yous when travelling overseas, this would be perfect!

Go for it Ian! :D

Here is an idea for a coin, I'm looking for constructive criticism of it. Not started on a back for it yet though. I was thinking of describing how the RBL helps ex-servicemen and women on the back, anyone got any other ideas.

The coin would be made in Antique Silver finish with the WW1 scene sculpted in 3D so that it will look like a B&W photo, the poppy, RBL logo and border will be filled in with enamel colours and the whole coin will be epoxy coated. The epoxy coating gives it a really high quality feel as anyone with one of my other coins should be able to attest.

The finished design would have to be run past the Royal British Legion for copyright reasons but I can't say them saying no. The coin would be priced so I make no profits on it but the RBL would get £1 a coin.

So open to the floor, any comments or ideas to improve/change it.

Ian

poppy.jpg

Not keen on the blue text box. Does the RBL need two mentions on the front?

a.

No need for it but it does add a splash of colour to the front of the coin. Getting rid of it does free up more space for the 3D image though as shown below:

poppy.jpgpoppy2.jpg

Excellent design !

I agree any space that is left on a Geocoin after the design is complete needs to be utilised. Show as much detail as possible, but the additional colour is needed to make the coin stand out more!

John :D

www.lancashire-geocoins.co.uk

Thanks for the comments so far, its always hard trying to keep everyone happy, we now have three different versions to comment on, I'm quite happy to mix and match between them all to come up with the nicest design. I personally think a ring of small poppies clutters up the image a bit but like the idea about the dates.

poppy.jpgpoppy2.jpgpoppy3.jpg

How about replacing the blue box with a flying Union flag? I would like to see the 11th hour on 11/11 incorporated maybe 11 (poppy)11 (poppy)11 where the three poppies are on the edge?

I would definitely buy a lot, whatever the design, it's a fantastic idea.

I like the 11 poppy 11 etc idea, not sure if a union flag would be best as remembrance day is open to other countries (commonwealth etc). Whilst I do have a penchant for using the union flag in coin designs I am not sure it would be right on this one.

I like coin 2 nice clear simple.

As for Veterans having nothing to do with folk today can i just say since the end of hostilities from WWII, only one year has not seen a British serviceman/woman die in the service of their (our) country the year was 1968.

Maybe I could word that better but I think you ge my drift.

A geocoin would be a great way to say thanks to those who still stand watch and are willing to pay the price of our freedom.

I like number 2 the best. BUT I do like the idea of incorporating 11.11.11.1921 too. (My mother was born in the two minutes silence some years later)!

Would there be the opportunity to put the date on the reverse perhaps?

This is great work Ian, keep it up! :)

Just in case anyone is thinking it won't be ready until the new year or so, personally, I really don't think it matters as the work and financial need of the RBL is year round, not just in November. :blink:

I'm quite keen on version 2. Although I like the idea of incorprating 11/11/11 etc it makes Coin 3 look a little lop-sided. If the rear hasn't been designed yet, could these dates not be incorporated on there?

I'd also be happy to pre-order one.

(Reposted as me this time!!)

Edited by Bambography