Uk Geocoin Group

Moote

Any progress to report on this, please? :lol:

MrsB

I heard back for the RBL last week and they weren't happy with having their name on the coin :lol: It's like wading through treacle.

I had to ammend the design and re-submit it to them. This is the modified design, I hope it still looks good to everyone.

Ian

poppy7.jpg

Coin looks great and i'm sure there will be plenty of takers, myself included. Cannot understand the RBL's attitude, thank god you have plenty of patience not to mention design skill as i'm sure plenty of others would have adopted a "bugger this" mentality and the great cause you are raising money for would have gone without. Can't see why they have a problem with being associated with geocaching especially considering all the caches in Iraq and Afganistan etc most, if not all of which, have been placed by servicemen and women.

Well done again and i look forward to getting my hands on the finished product, whichever design in comes in!

Any progress to report on this, please? :)

MrsB

I heard back for the RBL last week and they weren't happy with having their name on the coin <_< It's like wading through treacle.

I had to ammend the design and re-submit it to them. This is the modified design, I hope it still looks good to everyone.

Ian

poppy7.jpg

Will all the profits be going to the RBL?

Thank you to everyone for your words of encouragement. I must admit at times to want to bang my head against a brick wall and go with another chairty but I'm sticking with the RBL for the moment. One thing in their defence is they have just gone through their busiest period of the year and they are all running flat out - not an excuse just mitigating circumstances I guess.

Hopefully once I get the nod from them I can get the project moving again.

Ian

Will all the profits be going to the RBL?
The coins price will take into account the cost of producing it, paypal/nochex fees, packaging and shipping plus the £1 for the RBL. I do not intend making a profit on the coin just covering my expenses and raising £1 for each one sold to the RBL. But I can't afford to be out of pocket on it either so those things will have to be taken into acount. Anyone not happy with the price would obviously have the option sending £1 to the RBL themselves instead.

I am in a unique position to be able to do the occasional chairty coin due to running a geocaching shop and intend to do a number of different ones using this same pricing ethos. No-one will be asked to pre-order any as I don't think there will be a problem selling them to raise money for the charity so I will be ordering them and paying for them myself up front. :)

Ian

Edited by studlyone

Its getting rediculous with the RBL. Here is an extract from their e-mail to me today regarding the poppy geocoin.

Thanks for sending the revised artwork over. The artwork looks so professional. I'm afraid though that the Poppy image itself also comes under trademark restrictions and so would have to be represented by a generic Poppy picture rather than the logo Poppy.

I would suggest that we maybe leave just two or three of the little tiny ones on to see if that will be passed.

I hope this helps and thanks again for your patience

I will once again ammend the design and submit it to them. For something that will make them money with no input from themselves I can't understand why they don't want it to have anything to do with them - strange. Watch this space for the next version of the artwork.

Its getting rediculous with the RBL. Here is an extract from their e-mail to me today regarding the poppy geocoin.

Thanks for sending the revised artwork over. The artwork looks so professional. I'm afraid though that the Poppy image itself also comes under trademark restrictions and so would have to be represented by a generic Poppy picture rather than the logo Poppy.

I would suggest that we maybe leave just two or three of the little tiny ones on to see if that will be passed.

I will once again ammend the design and submit it to them. For something that will make them money with no input from themselves I can't understand why they don't want it to have anything to do with them - strange. Watch this space for the next version of the artwork.

Not that the image they use is actually registered as a Trade Mark - this is the only poppy image they have registered (thier UK marks are here ).

Perhaps you should approach "Help for Heroes" instead?

Not that the image they use is actually registered as a Trade Mark - this is the only poppy image they have registered (thier UK marks are here ).

Perhaps you should approach "Help for Heroes" instead?

Thanks for that resource - very usefull indeed. If I can't find something good to use that looks right I'll just throw that back at them

Ian

Can you pass on the name of the person you are dealing with I am going to bring this up with the Chairman of my local legion. :laughing:

Via PM will do .

I'd rather not, the lass that I am speaking to is the Southern Region fundraising co-ordinator and so far she is the only person on our side and speaking common sense. BTW she has actually started geocaching as a result of our e-mails LOL.

I will make one more try at getting an image approved before probably switch firing and turning it into a "Help for Heroes" coin. If your chairman wants to have a go at anyone its head office as they are the ones placing all the hurdles in my path.

Fingers crossed it will get through this time.

Ian

Edited by studlyone

Wading through treacle is particularly awkward at this time of year as the lower temperature results in higher viscosity. Summer wading is more pleasurable though the higher temperature does increase the tendency of the traecle to crystallise between one's toes. Of course, showering as soon as possible after the treacle encounter is highly preferable. Can I stop now? :rolleyes:

Wading through treacle is particularly awkward at this time of year as the lower temperature results in higher viscosity. Summer wading is more pleasurable though the higher temperature does increase the tendency of the traecle to crystallise between one's toes. Of course, showering as soon as possible after the treacle encounter is highly preferable. Can I stop now? :rolleyes:

Nice new avatar, Ian

I also notice you were out for a full days caching on Xmas Day around the more depressing parts of this area.

Such commitment to the anti-Xmas cause.

I tip my santa hat to you :(

LOL someone knows far too much about the physical properties of treacle me thinks :(

Waiting to hear back from them again after having to remove the poppy image from the coin and replacing it with a more general poppy image - talk about wading through treacle.

Sounds like a classic case of a charity that has allowed bureaucracy to get in the way of a good idea

As a serviceman I am very disappointed that you have experienced so many difficulties

The Help for Heroes charity is an excellent alternative - especially as it has such a distinct focus. The problem with the RBL is that it is doing so much diverse work that any monies you raise will just disappear into the pot.

IMHO the best fundraising geocoins are targeted on a specific project that donors can identify with and track easily

/me wanders in without looking...

Bump

What's this odd typewriter sortofthingy doing here? B)

It's those Mars Bars people... anyone else come across this before? :)

Anyone solved it yet? :grin:

MrsB

Ooooh got to get me one of them :)

enigmageneral.jpg

Edited by Matrix

Was gobsmacked to see one of the 2007 Cornish coins sell for £72 on Ebay today. Shessh it's only a coin!

Not any old coin though ! :blink:

Does that mean I have released over £200-worth of geocoins? :P

Come back!

I've just looked this link up. The winning Bidder is no longer registered and their last 20 odd feedback were all for non payment of geocoins. So I guess they aren't going for £72 each...

Was gobsmacked to see one of the 2007 Cornish coins sell for £72 on Ebay today. Shessh it's only a coin!

Not any old coin though ! :blink:

Does that mean I have released over £200-worth of geocoins? :P

Come back!

I've just looked this link up. The winning Bidder is no longer registered and their last 20 odd feedback were all for non payment of geocoins. So I guess they aren't going for £72 each...

I noticed that too... any £20 plus is not a bad return on investment..

Yes, had come across it before on the coin forum, but have to confess had not bothered with it cos I mistakenly thought it was not home grown. Now that I realise it is, I have one on the way! :smile:

Looks like the contest date has been extended too.

As far as I know, Dave Mars Bars isn't selling the Enigma coins... he had them made to go with his Enigma related cache series and the event we had.

One was released and plopped straight into my Coin hotel in Wirral, it's beautiful, and I believe a couple of cachers have, indeed solved the puzzle. I'm not one of them though!!!

Yes, had come across it before on the coin forum, but have to confess had not bothered with it cos I mistakenly thought it was not home grown. Now that I realise it is, I have one on the way! :D

Looks like the contest date has been extended too.

As far as I know, Dave Mars Bars isn't selling the Enigma coins... he had them made to go with his Enigma related cache series and the event we had.

One was released and plopped straight into my Coin hotel in Wirral, it's beautiful, and I believe a couple of cachers have, indeed solved the puzzle. I'm not one of them though!!!

The coins are pretty neat, we have one and we were able to solve it. The contest ended Jan 31, unfortunately, but it was a lot of fun trying to figure it out! It really was a lot of fun and we like the coin a lot!

Naomi :smile: (American in Sweden)

The yahoo group belongs to me but ive not accepted any new applications for ages and its not been used very much since Lynn unfortunately fell ill (Lynn of team Maddie).

It was set up due to the ridiculous fees being charged for postage from the USA at the time.

As the whole buy an icon thing has settled down now and the USA manufacturers have developed the routes for postage properly its original purpose has more or less dissapeared.

Ill contact the members in the next few weeks and dissolve the group.

Got a nice collection of coins though now !

Oh yea... Oh yea... Oh yea... How happy am I?

Jon

Oh yea... Oh yea... Oh yea... How happy am I?

Jon

Well done, that is a real acheivement and you deserve a pat on the back for it. The whole Enigma story is an amazing piece of wartime reading and its fascinating to find out how they broke the code. Well done for cracking the coin. Having visited the enigma website again I'm sorely tempted to buy an enigma-E kit.

Once again well done.

Well done, that is a real acheivement and you deserve a pat on the back for it. The whole Enigma story is an amazing piece of wartime reading and its fascinating to find out how they broke the code. Well done for cracking the coin. Having visited the enigma website again I'm sorely tempted to buy an enigma-E kit.

Once again well done.

Thank-you... Ultimately I think lots of folks solved the Enigma coin and the list of winners on display were the lucky(something that usually I find quite scarce around me) ones that were pulled out of a hat. But thanks again! Made my day that did!

Regarding the history - it is really nice that things like this not only tell the story but actually educate much about it at the same time! Top marks to Mars Bars for putting all the effort into setting this up!

Cheers,

Jon.