Uk Geocoin Group

Moote

Thanks for all the positive feedback about the coin, I think that the general concensus of opinion is for design 2 because the dates do make it look lop sided. I will put the dates onto the reverse of the coin and will start designing a first stab at it today.

There is no need for pre-orders, I will basically order 250 from my suppliers once we have the design finished but as has been pointed out by Dorsetgal they won't be available until the new year.

The Royal British Legion need money year round as their operation is a 365 day a year thing. They do marvellous work for ex-servcemen/women and their families and their work is needed now more than ever. With current operations ongoing in Afghanistan and Iraq, injured servicemen/women are coming home on an almost daily basis.

HM Forces have been in action in almost every year since WWII and from my experience even units at peacetime locations have accidents where servicemen are forced to retire and the RBL is one of the organisations there to help them. The RBL need all the support that they can get as they are funded solely by donations from the public.

More information about their work and their new campaign of respecting the covenant can be found on their website - http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

Anyway check out the website, donate what you can to them and watch this space for more info on the coin.

Ian

Edited by studlyone
I know its the truth but is that not a slightly political comment :)

How about the usual

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them ....etc

I didn't think of it as a political statement just as a statement of fact. I see what you mean about how it could be interpreted though.

What about this design. It would mean having a 3D back as well but it would make it more colourfull on the back, and it certainly gets the message across.

Ian

poppy5.jpg

Edited by studlyone
I know its the truth but is that not a slightly political comment :)

How about the usual

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them ....etc

I didn't think of it as a political statement just as a statement of fact. I see what you mean about how it could be interpreted though.

What about this design. It would mean having a 3D back as well but it would make it more colourfull on the back, and it certainly gets the message across.

Ian

poppy5.jpg

I am not a political animal in anyway but I just thought that approval from RBL might be easier to obtain without the wording as it was.

I have liked all the designs so far but I really like this one keep up the good work :blink:

edited to add my order for 3 coins Please :ph34r:

Edited by Matrix

Yes you may have a very good point there. Out of all of the designs this is the one that I am happiest with, wr'll see what the general concensus of opinion is on the design.

I have just dropped the RBL an e-mail stating my intentions and I'll follow it up with a phone call tomorrow. I should know whether or not we can take the project forward after a few phone calls I think.

Thanks to everyone for all the constructive comments so far.

I have to say I think that the union jack coffin graphic is just a little full on and slightly spoils it for me. I like the idea of the text on the rear (as on the previous design, however with the "At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them" text instead.
Thats a very good point, it is a bit hard hitting and depressing. Alice Band has come up with a great idea for the rear of the coin so watch this space. I will get working on it now.

Ok then here is a more upbeat back to the coin, it was suggested by Alice Band (great idea). It focusses on a positive aspect rather than the negative, it shows how our armed forces overcome all odds to do their duty. As this year is also the 25th Anniversary of the Falklands Conflict it is also apt that it's used. Plus its got a Union Flag on it - bonus LOL.

The text is from the remembrance parade services and basically sums it all up - we will remember them.

So anyone got any better ideas or shall I take this to the Royal British Legion for their approval.

Ian

poppy6.jpg

Edited by studlyone

Ok then here is a more upbeat back to the coin, it was suggested by Alice Band (great idea). It focusses on a positive aspect rather than the negative, it shows how our armed forces overcome all odds to do their duty. As this year is also the 25th Anniversary of the Falklands Conflict it is also apt that it's used. Plus its got a Union Flag on it - bonus LOL.

The text is from the remembrance parade services and basically sums it all up - we will remember them.

So anyone got any better ideas or shall I take this to the Royal British Legion for their approval.

Ian

poppy6.jpg

I like that one thumb.gif

Firstly I'm amazed how my small comment has grown to such interested heights. I'm chuffed - I have long supported the Poppy Appeal and have a friend who is being looked after by them as I speak so thank you to all who made the above comments of support ;)

Ian and I have been beating out ideas for this coin, so lets see where it goes. I suggested the above famous photo because indeed the Poppy Appeal are holding a 25th anniversary Falklands War fundraising appeal. Naturally this coin could be re-issued every year with different images if people feel it would be popular.

My partner suggested that the famous painting of the blindfolded gassed soldiers of the First World War walking in a line on one side of the coin would make more of an impact to people and hammer the idea home as to what the Poppy Appeal was set up for in the first place but I don't know if this would make everyone comfortable with the image.

Ian has done excellent work on the design and the coin looks far better than I imagined. I can't wait to see the finished product ;)

appeal.gif

LOL your comments caused us to hijack this thread,

I did think of mentioning the Falklands conflict on the coin but as they won't be ready until probably January it would no longer be the 25th Anniversary year I thought it best to just use the image.

Its funny that you should mention the gas victim pics, that was one of the pics I initially tried but I thought that the design looked very grim indeed which is why I settled for the trench scene.

I think the coin will look stunning with the 3D sculpting (anyone who has seen my other coins will know what a good job the mint can do).

bob2007coinbig.jpg

The metal would probably be Antique Silver as the process used really highlights detail and gives deep shadows to sculpted areas.

The epoxy coating will give the coin a very high quality feel and it should look great (fingers crossed) I still need to do some tidying up of the design but its almost there. It will be trackable on geocaching.com and will have its own icon - a poppy design.

If these ones go down well, I'd be happy to do other poppy appeal coins to hopefully drive even more funds into the RBL coffers.

Edited by studlyone

Well having been passed around a grand total of 8 different desks at RBL HQ yesterday, I hopefully got hold of the right person in the end and have submitted the artwork for approval together with information about the coins specifications so I'm just waiting for the "Yay or Nay" from them now.

Watch this space.....

Edited by studlyone

Ahem. One thing I just noticed, although I shouldn't think it'll change the yay/nah:

On the rear the text has a black outline however on the front it doesn't. I'm sure in the manufacturing there will be some kind of outline but the rear text looks clearer to me and I think they should probably be the same. Good work and lets hope they like it!

Ahem. One thing I just noticed, although I shouldn't think it'll change the yay/nah:

On the rear the text has a black outline however on the front it doesn't. I'm sure in the manufacturing there will be some kind of outline but the rear text looks clearer to me and I think they should probably be the same. Good work and lets hope they like it!

That's one of the things that I need to sort out with the deisgn before sending it to a mint. You are right there will have to be a raised border area for the text so that it can be filled in with the enamel, it won't be black on the coin but it will be the coins base colour - Antique Silver. Thanks for pointing it out. Edited by studlyone

Well its a Nay B)

Many thanks for your email in regards to considering working with the Legion in the area of non monetary coins, used in the sport of geocaching. As you can imagine we are always exploring innovative ways to raise funds for the Poppy Appeal and in 2008 we will be launching a minted Commemorative Coin, to celebrate the end of World War I - due to the activity we have planned for next year we will not be in a position to support your proposal any further at this time.

Thank you for contacting the Legion with your kind offer.

Well thats the opinion of head office, they did give me another contact (the southern fundraising co-ordinator) who does seem very interested but once again its wait and see if they will say yes. To be honest I am extremely surprised by the first rebuttal as they are simply turning down another source of funding.

Hopefully the southern co-ordinator will be more interested. :huh:

we will not be in a position to support your proposal any further at this time.

I must be missing something here... But what support would be required from RBL other than a thank-you letter for the donation and an ok to use the Poppy logo and wording?

J

My sentiments exactly, having spoken to head office on the phone once they asked me if it was likely to raise over £10,000 and I said probably not they did not seem interested :huh: I know that they are producing a commerorative coin next year - perhaps they were worried about this coin impacting on sales of that. Seems very weird that they turned the project down.

At least the southern co-ordinator sounded much more interested - we shall have to wait and see. I have just sent another e-mail to her stressing that this is just a way of raising funds and that no financial input is required from the RBL as I will be paying upfront for the minting of the coins. Its just a way of rasing funds - no different to holding a raffle or the like.

Very strange....

Edited by studlyone
I am attending a local branch meeting tomorrow evening I have already mentioned it to the local Chairman who was excited by the idea so I am sure if I show him this he will have something to say to head office :huh:
It would be good to get his opinion on the matter, the more people that we can get onside within the organistaion the better in my book. I have my fingers crossed that the southern fund raisers will approve of the project. I spoke at length to the southern fund raising co-ordinator this afternoon and she loves the idea and after explaining what geocaching was she wants to have a go for herself. I hope to hear back from them in the near future and will post the outcome here.

If its still a no from the legion you could allways try differnet medal/campaign associations. I am sure the South Atlantic Medal Association would be interested then there is the Burma Star and the list goe's on and on including SSAFFA.

While its a pity that the legion HQ were negative it may be a case of their loss is someone elses gain.

Oh Well!!! :huh:

I am attending a local branch meeting tomorrow evening I have already mentioned it to the local Chairman who was excited by the idea so I am sure if I show him this he will have something to say to head office :blink:

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the meeting but I have spoken to him and he is going to ask why the offer was refused .

Thanks Matrix, I am still waiting on the ruling from the Southern Fund Raisers about the coin fingers crossed.

Good idea Wolfshead57, I am sure that there will be an ex-servicemen/womens charity somewhere out there that would appreciate the funds raised.

What about SSAFA? They cover all the Services and their families. I know from personal experience that they do really good work.

http://www.ssafa.org.uk/

Thanks Matrix, I am still waiting on the ruling from the Southern Fund Raisers about the coin fingers crossed.

Good idea Wolfshead57, I am sure that there will be an ex-servicemen/womens charity somewhere out there that would appreciate the funds raised.

What about SSAFA? They cover all the Services and their families. I know from personal experience that they do really good work.

I know that SSAFA do great work and are a very well respected organisation. If it turns out that the RBL are not interested in the coin I will simply remove all reference to them from the coin and still go ahead and split the proceedings from the sale of them between several forces support chairites so that it just doens't go to one area.

I know that SSAFA do great work and are a very well respected organisation. If it turns out that the RBL are not interested in the coin I will simply remove all reference to them from the coin and still go ahead and split the proceedings from the sale of them between several forces support chairites so that it just doens't go to one area.

I spoke to a few of the older attendee's at the service I attended today and they said pretty much what you just said , go ahead as the poppy is not a trademark or anything that the RBL has any control over just seems a little short sighted of them not to agree -_-

Instead of the Poppy you could maybe use this symbol

http://www.army.mod.uk/img/ra/gunnernet/vetsbadge.jpg

I realise that the poppy may not be a trade mark but it is associated with the British Legion while this symbol is the Veterans badge.

Anyway just an idea for you to mull over. I still want one though

In the USA there is already a poppy coin which raises funds for their veterans

I have just received three from here which I will be placing in appropriate caches shortly

Unfortunately it is a personal geocoin so you only get the generic icon, not a poppy, but you do get the 'name'

Instead of the Poppy you could maybe use this symbol

http://www.army.mod.uk/img/ra/gunnernet/vetsbadge.jpg

I realise that the poppy may not be a trade mark but it is associated with the British Legion while this symbol is the Veterans badge.

Anyway just an idea for you to mull over. I still want one though

In the USA there is already a poppy coin which raises funds for their veterans

I have just received three from here which I will be placing in appropriate caches shortly

Unfortunately it is a personal geocoin so you only get the generic icon, not a poppy, but you do get the 'name'

Ooops just read post 170, Mrs B got there first :)

:)

But I haven't been able to actually order the poppy coin yet. They're listed as "out of stock - more expected 21st Nov" but they don't seem to be available yet.

MrsB

I have :)

I have 2 silver and a gold one :)

And one silver one is unactivated .

Edited by Matrix