Magellan Waypoint Projection

flattie

When you are on the screen with the coordinates (Lat and Lon), press the menu button, and then scroll down to the Projection item and press enter. Enter your distance and bearing (make sure you set to True or magnetic, as specified) and save your new projected waypoint. Then you can do a Goto to find it.

Edited by EScout

I have a Magellan Sportrak Pro. Almost always a projection is for a specific number of metres (I'm writing from Canada, for those of you whose spelling alarms went off just then). The Magellan will not accept my entries in metres. It will pretend to - I can actually get it to say the units are M instead of KM - but as soon as I enter (should that be entre?) the number, the machine kicks me back to KM. Anybody else have this problem? Is there a fix for it?

Gare,

I believe the only way to do projections is by using the "big" units that you have your unit set for. IE kilometers instead of meters, and miles instead of feet. Mayby the "M" your are speeking of is MILES and not meters. Not sure on that one.

In this link about MERIDIAN recievers, section 46 covers the projection issue about large distance units http://gpsinformation.net/MeridianFAQv2_0.pdf

Flattie

I just noticed I can't do a projection with my explorist.

ask magellan for a firmware update that includes this, i like the projection feature so that is why i didn't by the explorist. I will say taht to project with the etrex legend C is slightly different, and lets you use meters or ft no matter what you have your distance measurements set to(kilo or miles). with the magellan meridian gold you would have to switch to kilo to get meters... it was strange because under projection on the meridian you could highlight the M, Ft, ect. but it wouldnt let you change it. guess just another magellan bug.

Quote: "guess just another magellan bug"

No it isn't. You can project in the Nav unit you have your unit set to, feet/miles or KM. You can project in Meters or feet. Overall, the Meridian series has a projection function that is probably the best, and superior to Garmins because you can project in one-hundredths of a degree for much better precision.

Projection was left out of the Explorists. Hopefully they will add it in a software update.

Edited by EScout