In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

VetsDay01_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested in the story behind this famous poem from World War I, look here.

I posted this in OffTopic, but it's worth repeating:

<snip>

<moderator note>

This is really a topic for Off Topic Forums. I will probably merge the two topics and move it to Off Topic tomorrow. For now, I have let it go here since it was posted here first. Many thanks to the veterans who give their time -- and sometimes their lives -- for their country.

</moderator note>

Carry on!

Heard this on the way to work today. Many Thanks to all the Veterans.

What Is A Vet

As Heard On The Harmon & Heywood Show Veterans Day

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.

Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg.

Except for parades, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. But You can't tell a vet just by looking.

A vet is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Iraq sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the bar-room loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

They are the P-O-W-S who went away one person and came back another.

He is the drill instructor who has never seen combat but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into soldiers and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the old guy putting your Mrs bairds Bread in your bag at the supermarket, palsied now and aggravatingly slow..But in his dayt he helped liberate a Nazi death camp and wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary yet an extraordinary human being, a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He or she is a soldier and a savior and nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember tomorrow at the Vets Day Parade..in the mall..at the grocery store..each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You.

That's all most people need and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been or were awarded. Two little words that mean a lot, "Thank You"

Thank you veterans. And thank you mtn-man for keeping this thread opened. I think I will post something appropriate for this forum.

Our country owes a great deal to the men and women who defend our liberty. One thing we can to is make sure that they always have the best technology to fight wars. (Of course, I'm a bit prejudice here because this policy ensures I get a paycheck every other week :D ) The Global Positioning System was created for this reason as was the ARPANET (the predescessor to the Internet). So again I want to thank our veterans. If it weren't for you, there would be no GEOCACHING. ;)

Thank you veterans. And thank you mtn-man for keeping this thread opened. I think I will post something appropriate for this forum.

Our country owes a great deal to the men and women who defend our liberty. One thing we can to is make sure that they always have the best technology to fight wars. (Of course, I'm a bit prejudice here because this policy ensures I get a paycheck every other week :rolleyes: ) The Global Positioning System was created for this reason as was the ARPANET (the predescessor to the Internet). So again I want to thank our veterans. If it weren't for you, there would be no GEOCACHING. :ph34r:

I fogot to add ammo cans which were invented to keep the ammunition dry :ph34r:

There are times when I'm going about my business, sometimes reflecting how indulgent some of it seems, and then wonder what a counterpart of mine living in a repressed country would think of it. ...And then send out a quick, mental thankfulness for the freedom we have here. Freedom dearly paid for. I too at this time would like to thank those who have gone before, and those with us now.

When I first saw the title of this thread I did a doubble take because I usually see the acronym VD used for a different term.

Sadly the veterns that could use our thanks the most don't see it often enough. Of the troops serving overseas that do get to watch the news on TV they see the same CNN or FOX news that we do. If you have watched either news channel recently you know there is almost no stories about how thankfull we are for our military and the freedom they protect. But, the woman who is protesting her sons death seems to get all the air time she wants.

You can thank a service member who is currently serving overseas by send an email from the anyservice member web site http://anyservicemember.navy.mil/