Oifga Coins Update

f0t0m0m

I only took the 4 envelopes for outside the US (2 to Germany, 2 to Canada) to the Post Office counter... all the others I just packaged up, added postage, and dropped in the big receptacle in the lobby.

The only time I ever go to counter is for foreign mail and large quauntities in one envelope, where I don't know what the proper postage is, or for insurance (I normally insure over $35 value). For all others, I just throw on postage and mail them.

Totally off topic here, but how do you go about shipping 100 packages? The guy at the post office seemed a bit perturbed when I brought in 18.

I had over 100 one time, but my postal guy knows me and we just sat and talked the whole time. It took an hour and a half to mail it all.....did I mention my 4 and 8 year old were there the whole time and I broke the post office record for the most packages in one shot?

I only took the 4 envelopes for outside the US (2 to Germany, 2 to Canada) to the Post Office counter... all the others I just packaged up, added postage, and dropped in the big receptacle in the lobby.

The only time I ever go to counter is for foreign mail and large quauntities in one envelope, where I don't know what the proper postage is, or for insurance (I normally insure over $35 value). For all others, I just throw on postage and mail them.

I posted this in another thread, but I use the APC system. I have even used it to ship to Canada. I would go when I got off work at 04:00 and would do my business. Would never have to worry about lines and I had the machine all to myself :D .

What is the APC system? I am going to have to send out a ton of coins this week as mine are arriving Saturday

I believe it's the Automatic Postal Center (or something like that). I use it all the time since it's available 24/7. It's usually in the PO box lobby. I never tried using it to ship outside the US but maybe next time I'll try. You do have to pay by credit card or debit card so if you're paying by cash, it's easier to just buy stamps.

What is the APC system?  I am going to have to send out a ton of coins this week as mine are arriving Saturday

I believe it's the Automatic Postal Center (or something like that). I use it all the time since it's available 24/7. It's usually in the PO box lobby. I never tried using it to ship outside the US but maybe next time I'll try. You do have to pay by credit card or debit card so if you're paying by cash, it's easier to just buy stamps.

I've used the APC to ship outside of the US and it was no problem. My son and daughter-in-law are stationed in the Philippines for the Peace Corps and I use APC to send stuff to them all the time. They've recently upgraded our machine and supposedly, you can do insurance and delivery confirmation on the APC now, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

--Marky

Got mine in the mail.

As side note I used to live near a post office with an APC machine and had to send out mutliple envelopes on more than one occasion. Even when there was a line at the post office for a human I always managed to have the machine to myself and was faster than a live person. If you can use an ATM, you can use an APC. Wish the post office would put more of them out.

What is the APC system?  I am going to have to send out a ton of coins this week as mine are arriving Saturday

Not exactly Oifga related, but...

Two things to note about the APC's:

1. If you are mailing out of the country and a customs form is required, you have to present those packages in person at the counter during business items.

2. At least up here, the machines limit you to $50 per credit card transaction, so I've had to split shipments up into batches of 50-70 envelops, depending on the average weight. That's not nearly as frustrating for me as having the gas pump click off at $50 while refueling the cachemobile :anitongue:.

Otherwise, the APCs are great as reported...no line and as fast or faster for basic postage, insurance, and tracking.

I just use stamps for envelops NOT requiring insurance.