The New Waymarking Changes

I imagine that most of you noticed that we did a new release to the Waymarking site on November 2nd. I thought I'd take some time to list out the major changes that went into effect in this post:

• The site is still in beta, but is now available to all users
  • The waymark approval page now checks for pre-existing waymarks of that category
  • dynamic links have been replaced with less wordy buttons
  • Waymarking .gifs available to the public (click on the little Waymarking ad on the left of the site)
  • "largest" option now available for category search
  • category galleries have been added (the option is available only for categories that actually contain images)
  • gallery access is now available from all waymark and log lists
  • most recent waymarks list increased from 50 waymarks to 200
  • image delete (archive) now available
  • image view page added (click any image in any gallery to see this change)
  • favorites button is now a simple switch
  • category vote process has been simplified
  • log display errors fixed
  • clicking through maps redirects user to google maps now, instead of mapquest
  • date variable changed to allow dates from 1/1/0001 and is now validated from a textbox
  • various html tag inconsistencies have been corrected
  • category managers can now approve/deny waymarks that have already been added to the system (from waymark detail page)

Features that are on the way (no timetable, but in the near future):

• Search from directory root
  • Waymarking groups
  • category management opened to all premium users (still will require approval)
  • simplified URL for categories
  • Google Earth KML support
  • expanded/improved category and waymark search options

Hope this helps!

Bootron

•  
  • most recent waymarks list increased from 50 waymarks to 200

Could the total number be displayed somewhere as well?

--Marky

I actually have plans to rework the way the waymarks are returned, so hopefully we'll be able to have an unlimited display in the future.

In the meantime, if you want to see the total number of waymarks in a category, use the "largest" option in the "sort by" dropdown list right above the directory.