Coin Clubs

9Key

Hello from cloudy North Texas!

Many of you are familiar with the coin clubs like Geocoinclub.com and the SWAGs group that produces limited edition coins periodically.

Are there any other groups out there? If so, can I join? :o

If not, would anyone like to join me in a new group?

The first rule about COIN CLUB is don't talk about COIN CLUB!

"You aren't alive anywhere like you're alive at COIN CLUB.... COIN CLUB isn't about winning or losing coins. COIN CLUB isn't about words. You see a guy come to COIN CLUB for the first time, and his a** is a loaf of white bread. You see this same guy here six months later, and he looks carved out of wood. This guy trusts himself to handle anything. There's grunting and noise at COIN CLUB like at the gym, but COIN CLUB isn't about looking good. There's hysterical shouting in tongues like at church, and when you wake up Sunday afternoon you feel saved". ~Chapter 6

That's COIN CLUB my friends........ :o

Many of you are familiar with the coin clubs like Geocoinclub.com and the SWAGs group that produces limited edition coins periodically.

Are there any other groups out there? If so, can I join? :o

Mark us down! :P

Are there any other groups out there? If so, can I join?  :o

GCC is a business where their objective is to design and sell coins. Nice concept and very collectible in today's market, but they really have nothing to do with events. Although I've heard lots about them, I'm not sure what SWAGS does. Do they produce coins for events or produce coins for the sake of making coins only? The Seven Summit series is similar to GCC - make a coin and they will come. There are also coin clubs where their sole purpose is to purchase coins for their membership (Nurse Dave and SD coin club). These seem to be regional to take advantage of shipping to a small area plus many eyes watching for new coins makes sure you don't miss something. They might deal in all coins, states only, events, etc.

I'm not quite sure what direction you're proposing. Up here in Mich we don't have a regional 'coin club' (yet) where the purpose is to just buy coins, so we've been on or own. I'd be interested to see what you're proposing. (That meant yes).

Edited by Shasties

Ok If someone else is setting one up I'm in. I just cannot do 24/7 waiting to see what might become available if anything.. I do a lot of the ordering for our club here in the Uk because I do not work. But I hate getting up in the morning to find out I missed something from the US all for a cpl of hours sleep. i am hoping to get back there in the spring and do some caches in the NE but who will order my coins????

Would be willing to reciprocate from over here:)

Lynn

Soooo do you have to pay to be in it?

Of course. :D

As an example: If it costs $600 to mint 100 coins, then that amount is divided by 50 (or however many people are in the group) plus $2 s/h (this would occur ever time the group mints a new coin). So in this example, you would get 2 of the coins for a total of $14 shipped.

I'd like to give it a go, so count me in. This is basically how GHOST formed, just one post and the first 49 replies. I'm sure I could be of some assistance.

Or...I could just be acting as a SPY in the name of Swags, checking up on what this "rival" group is doing. :D

Thanks Yime for using the correct name of the group...GHOST.

For everyones information...Swags is just the slug mascot for the first 2 coins.

Having said that...I'd be interested in another group...Yes, I am an addict... :D

I'd like to give it a go, so count me in. This is basically how GHOST formed, just one post and the first 49 replies. I'm sure I could be of some assistance.

Or...I could just be acting as a SPY in the name of Swags, checking up on what this "rival" group is doing.

LOL :D

A coin club just wouldn't be the same without Yimey in it. :D

As you all know, we just released our second coin in the Swags, (GHOST) group.

We started with 50 members. The first 50 to post interest in the group.

Our goal is to produce 3-4 coins per year. The majority of the group is in the Pacific NW, so that is why "Swags" the banana slug is our mascot. We set up a Yahoo group page to have our discussions, and post design ideas, and for our "Poll_Boy, Yemon Yime to set up polls to help us decide the critical issues that we faced. :D

Our first coin was a true design by committee ordeal. We just about came apart at the seams. You just can't please everyone. For the second coin, we had 5 volunteers for the design team. I was one of the 5. We set up an email list between us, and kicked around design ideas until we had something we liked.

We kept the rest of the group updated as to when the ETA for the new coins were. The entire group had voted on the basic design criteria we had to stay within, but other than that, we were given creative license.

We just sent all of the coins out on Tuesday. There is no cost to join the group, and you don't have to buy every coin if you don't want to. This particular coin cost $8.50 per coin. The cost is higher than other coins out there since with only 100 coins being produced, the cost of the dies drives up the individual coin cost.

That's Swags in a nut-shell.

Does this mean people can join the group?

If that question is about GHOST, (Swags), the answer is no. I know your name is on the waiting list, but to be honest, we have yet to use the list.

The group has only allowed one new member since we started, and that was done by a special election! :D

We took a poll, and unless the membership falls significantly lower, we will not be adding member to bring us back up to 50 members.

There is no cost to join the group, and you don't have to buy every coin if you don't want to.

Does this mean people can join the group?

The Society of Swags remains off-limits to those who would seek its dark secrets. If Swags so chooses to throw any of his followers into the razor sharp jowls of purgatory, others may be tapped to fill in the void.

Swags is benevolent.

Swags is righteous.

Swags is not accepting applications at this time.

Well, since Swags is not accepting applications right now, I'd definitely be interested in any new coin design group formed...

(And, of course, if Swags ever does accept applications, well, hopefull all his brothers and sisters that live in my backyard (woods of Woodinville, WA) will vouch for me. [:D])

-Krauss-McClurg