Paperless Caching?

The Golem

I'm in the same boat as The Golem. I've £200 to spend (or a bit more) and having read through the replies I'm none the wiser. Is everybody a closet politician? Please answer the question and give an actual model and details. I use Anquet maps on the pc and find them useful but don't have much idea (basically no idea) how these might/might not work on a PPC or Palm.

If anyone out there can help please post a reasoned argument why any specific system is best.

No waffle, techno babble please.

I'm in the same boat as The Golem.  I've £200 to spend (or a bit more) and having read through the replies I'm none the wiser.  Is everybody a closet politician? Please answer the question and give an actual model and details. I use Anquet maps on the pc and find them useful but don't have much idea (basically no idea) how these might/might not work on a PPC or Palm.

If anyone out there can help please post a reasoned argument why any specific system is best.

Hear hear!! :rolleyes:

I visited ALDI today and they had this

Would this be any use?

Edited by The Golem

Oh Dear! here we go again. :ph34r:

I have got an Ipaq with a bluetooth GPS RX, Memory map and Tomtom Nav installed, that has all the UK caches in it (updated weekly).

Prenium member so I can get all the info for paperless caches. :rolleyes:

BUT I DON'T. Because a few sheets of paper in plastic holders, is so much easily to use.

And the batteries don't go down when you need it most. :ph34r:

I'm in the same boat as The Golem.  I've £200 to spend (or a bit more) and having read through the replies I'm none the wiser.  Is everybody a closet politician? Please answer the question and give an actual model and details. I use Anquet maps on the pc and find them useful but don't have much idea (basically no idea) how these might/might not work on a PPC or Palm.

Hear hear!! :rolleyes:

I visited ALDI today and they had this

Would this be any use?

I don't think so unless you can download the caches into it.

OK here is a good start Mitac MIO 168 This is an excellent PDA which can be picked up new for around £180 new, if you shop around.

You can get download GPX Sonar here, this is free and is a brilliant program. Use with your Pocket Queries or create your own by using

GSAK import all your PQ's into this and manipulate and export your data to produce sets which match your present caching criteria.

Another great tool is GPS Tuner which is turns a PDA in to a GPS. (very useful indeed)

And MemoryMap for your mapping, I believe that there are places that this can be gotten for next to nothing.

Then take a look at my PDF on

Moote's PDA Guide and Mark & Lynn's paperless caching guide

Then you are away

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote

I have just tried my palm m500(£19 off ebay) with gpsr mouse and path-away for the first time with OS maps snatched from memory-map screenshots and self calibrated, surprisingly accurate I must say (I'd say within 20metres), goes to show you don't need expensive stuff for geocaching.

Attempted 4 caches-found 4 caches, just a shame the chicken shop in biggleswade wasn't such a success :laughing:

I think the m500 is the next step up, it has 8Mb memory and a sd card slot, I think they all have infra red, I use a 64Mb sd card in mine for map storage.

I'm quite impressed with it as an older device.

I only realy use the mapping bit with gps just to determine where we are on the map, I have written a script that takes screen-shots (from memory map) and converts them to palm readable images with one key stroke and am working on one that does all the calibration as well.

It's not that I can't afford a ppc, I'm just too dadgum tight! :laughing:

(And I can live with dropping £19 in a lake)