Old Gps Units

While I'm waiting for Santa, I thought I might pick up an old used GPSr off of e-bay. After Christmas, it would be nice to have a back-up or a loaner.

Here are a few that I've found. I'd be interested in any suggestions or things I should avoid from more experienced users. Maybe you've had one or more of these GPSr's.

Magellan GPS 300

Magellan GPS 315

Magellan GPS 330

Magellan Blazer 12

Garmin eMap

Garmin GPS 12

Garmin eMap Deluxe

Lowrance GlobalMap 100

Lowrance iFinder

Avoid units that don't have a computer interface (for uploading waypoints), that only display coordinates to two decimal places (in decimal minutes), and that are not 12 channel parallel receivers.

I have owned a Garmin GPS12 and can recommend it. It says something that it's still being sold by Garmin after all these years.

The Garmin GPS 12, eMap or Magellan 315 or 330 might be worthwhile if you can get one cheap. By cheap, I mean under $50 shipped.

As PDOPs pointed out the GPS 12 is still sold by Garmin. Not sure why. Its on the large and heavy side and they have so many better units now, but its a good, durable unit.

The eMap has the advantage over the others because it has mapping.

Edited by briansnat

My previous GPSr was the Magellan 315 & I still keep it for a backup. Good little unit.

The 330 is the same as the 315 except it has a basic builtin basemap, which you might like

The Blazer is older than Moses, I'd avoid that one

The Lowrance iFinder is a nice little unit too. Has builtin basemaps, and accepts MMC/SD memory chips for expansion.

Don't no anything about the others.. hope this helps

My first unit was an eMap. It was a fine little GPS unit. It has a 12 channel parallel receiver, it will accept Garmin memory cards for maps, and has a computer interface. The downside of it is the battery compartment is not very waterproof, and the memory card goes in through the battery door. if water got in there, it could get directly into the electronics. The other downsides are it does not do autorouting, and it does not have WAAS.

The MAP-330 is a great unit - -I've used one for years and even one a "closest to the tee" competition with it (which had about 60 participants ranging from $20 used GPSrs to $750 "top-of-the-line" units).

However, you won't find it for under $50. It's price has actually gone UP over the past year on EBay. A year ago, you could pick up MAP-330X units (which was the MAP-330 bundled with MapSend Streets and a windshield mount) for $100 brand-new. Today, a USED one of that will go for $125 on EBay and new ones for $150. Funny stuff. heh.

If you don't need the basemap and you just want to get by for a bit, the 315 is a decent unit if you can find one fairly cheap.

- John...

I'll vouch for the eMap. My first unit was a Legend, but I found that that unit's 8MB of map memory was sorely lacking when using MetroGuide maps. Then I bought an eMap because of its ability to use Garmin's proprietary memory cards which allowed me to expand the memory to 128MB!

When I bought my 60C, I sold the Legend and I still have the eMap for backup!