Its All Physics Baby!

Here is another fun little problem for all your guys that want to try it out. Also would you rather th answer be the coordinates, or would you want to e mail me and i would e mail you back a hint if it was wrong or i would give you coordinates if it was right?

*Neglect all air frictions*

*Gravity is 9.8m/s^2*

*The rocket doesnt pass through the atmosphere.*

*Keep it simple*

Ok a rocket is traveling at +155m/s, it is decelerated at a rate of -31m/s^2.

A. How long will it take before the instantaneous speed is 0 m/s?

B. How far will it travel during this time?

C. What will be its velocity after 8.0s?

Try this out if you want!

Would there be a downdraft due to the helicopter's blades spinning?

Is the wrench the flat kind that might be influenced by wind?...or a big lug monkey kind of wrench?

I have no idea about any kind of physics type problems...but those might be somethings to consider...

Would there be a downdraft due to the helicopter's blades spinning?

Is the wrench the flat kind that might be influenced by wind?...or a big lug monkey kind of wrench?

I have no idea about any kind of physics type problems...but those might be somethings to consider...

It would be just a normal wrench, however it doesnt matter what type of wrench it is because when neglecting all frictions, the wrench would behave like a feather, a rock, a pencil, a toothbrush, a tb, whatever because they all fall at the same acceleration on earth, 9.8m/s/s. this means after 2 second it isnt falling 9.8 m/s it would be falling 19.6 m/s and so on. When physics states to ignore all frictions its like your in space, (besides the 9.8m/s/s gravity force) it is a vacuum where on the moon astronaughts dropped a feather and a hammer and they landed at the same time.

-Those calculations posted above were correct too. Nice job.

A wrench falls from a helicopter that is rising steadily at +6.0 m/s. After 2.0s

a. what is the velocity of the wrench?

b. how far below the helicopter is the wrench?

ARE YOU SERIOUS??

I can barely balance my checkbook. . .Physics wooo hoooo that is too funny. . .I really think you are yanking my chain. Let me just ask Number One to slow the Enterprise way down so Jordy can help me answer that question before the warp core reactor blows. . . .

ok here are all of the calculations for the rocket problem. Go easy on me i suck at explaining things, hey im only 16...

A....

Vf=0

Vi=155m/s

a=-31m/s

So i will use the formula

a=Vf-Vi/a

i changed it to

t=Vf-Vi/a

so

t=0-155/-31

so....

t=5 seconds

B......

Vf=0

Vi=155m/s

a=-31m/s

t=5s

d=?

Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad

so i changed it to -Vi^2=2ad

-155^2=2(-31)d

-24025=-62d

so

d=387.5

Finally on to part C......

Vi=155m/s

a=-31m/s^2

t=8s

Vf=?

Vf=Vi+at

so lets add the numbers now....

Vf=155+(-31)(8)

so Vf=-93m/s

believe it or not here was one way you could of done the calculations to find the answer.

Here is a problem related to GC

You first walk 8.0km North from your home to get the FTF on a new geocache. Then walk East (to avoid some poisn oak) until your distance from home is 10.0km How far east did you walk.??

its alot easier to draw a picture on this one and to use pythagoream thereom ....a^2+b^2=c^2

Hey but seriously if you got lost you could use something like this to arrive home safely. lol

You first walk 8.0km North from your home to get the FTF on a new geocache. Then walk East (to avoid some poisn oak) until your distance from home is 10.0km How far east did you walk.??

its alot easier to draw a picture on this one and to use pythagoream thereom ....a^2+b^2=c^2

Hey but seriously if you got lost you could use something like this to arrive home safely. lol

6k. It's a simple 3-4-5 right triangle.

OK, Cruising, here's one for you, and only you (so all you wily types hush up):

You head out to look for my new multi-cache. After arriving at the posted coordinates, you find instructions telling you to walk 1km DUE SOUTH to the next waypoint.

This waypoint instructs you to walk 1km DUE EAST to find the next waypoint.

At this waypoint, you are told to walk 1km DUE NORTH, which you then do.

Amazingly, you find yourself at exactly the same place you started. How is this possible?

You head out to look for my new multi-cache. After arriving at the posted coordinates, you find instructions telling you to walk 1km DUE SOUTH to the next waypoint.

Amazingly, you find yourself at exactly the same place you started. How is this possible?

ooo...oooo.... I know the coordinates of that cache!

It's too bad that the Pythagorean theorem only works on planes, and the Earth is a sphere, huh? Because it makes your solution incorrect. :D

Are you interested in the actual correct answer?

actually you would be 1 km of to the EAST from the starting position.

1km l l 1km

l l

------------

1km

tried to edit for my stupid box i made but hopefully tou get the point?

Edited by Cruising_Adventuring

It's too bad that the Pythagorean theorem only works on planes, and the Earth is a sphere, huh? Because it makes your solution incorrect. :D

Are you interested in the actual correct answer?

Thats a very good point, but lets figure that the ground was a plane...lol however, even when figuring out the problem with the added distance due to the earths curve you would have to assume that there are no elevation changes?

*hey are you really a physicist?*

*if so right on!*

Have you ever tried Chicken Fat Ripple ice cream?

==================================

I wouldn't throw the wrench at you. I'd be afraid I might miss. I would walk up to you and beat you until you were nothing but a puddle of goo and then pour gasoline on the goo and light it on fire.

==================================

I hate puzzles like this. Can you tell? (I was a 2/3 "B" and 1/3 "A" math student. I still hate this stuff anyway. This is GEOCACHING - not physics class!)

Crap like this can drive folks to drink.

pint.gifpint.gifpint.gifpint.gifpint.gif

*hey are you really a physicist?*

Yes, indeed. Not only that, but my wife went to Rim Of The World High School.

The actual answer to your problem, BTW, is very complicated. Depends on your definition of distance and your definition of "due east."

Solve my Neutrino cache. Seriously! You'll learn a lot about measuring distances on and through the Earth while doing a real-life physics problem.

Not always. It's possible to be right back where you started. Do you give up?

Hmm......

South, East, North? I saw a bear there, but I still don't know what they do in the woods. Does anyone know what color the bear was?

Edited to add: The answer is always 42.

Edited by JohnX
hey everypne i want to do a puzzle cache. Here is an example of a question that i might ask. (if you havent guessed physics is my favorite thing in the world!)...well sorta.

A wrench falls from a helicopter that is rising steadily at +6.0 m/s. After 2.0s

a. what is the velocity of the wrench?

b. how far below the helicopter is the wrench?

if you guys could try to solve this it would help me out. Just tell me whether you would do this type of problem to get the coordinates of a cache, or if it takes to much time.

ALSO NEGLECT ALL FRICTIONS. (keep it easy)

If my finger moves my mouse to the ignore button at .05 miles per hours...

Here is another one for all you Physics Buffs out there...

Determine the final speed of a proton that has an initial speed of 2.35 x 10^5m/s and then is decelerated uniformly in an electric field at the rate of 1.10 x 10^12m/s^2 for 1.50 x 10^-7 ??

This one isn't really that hard at all, the numbers just make it look scary.

edited for spelling

Edited by Cruising_Adventuring

I saw a cache similar to this. I like the idea of when the cache page is like....

A plane at X-Coordinates, flying a X-Bearing, at X mph drops an ammo can out of the plane.

Using the information provided and some physics problem one can probably solve for where the cache is.

I cannot find the link to the cache that was similar, but I liked the idea.

It's possible to be right back where you started.  Do you give up?

Of course, you understand that this requires a very specific definition of what "due East" means...

In this case, the path has to be a rhumb line, which is a path of constant heading..

Okay, so change the puzzle to say, "go towards the East pole...."

:D

1km l l 1km

l l

------------

1km

tried to edit for my stupid box i made but hopefully tou get the point?

I wasn't asking where you would be. I was TELLING you that you're exactly where you started.

You started at a waypoint (call it point A). You went 1km south. Then 1km east. Then 1km north. You somehow found yourself back at point A. NOT 1km east, but exactly where you started at, at point A.

My question was not where, but how?

Oh yeah, and what color WAS the bear that you saw there?