The Times, They Are A-changin’

sept1c_tank

I started early on, so I could not find many caches per month back then. There just were not as many out there. Looking at per 10 caches though...

- 01 thru 10 = 7 active, 1 disabled, 2 archived.

- 11 thru 20 = 4 active, 6 archived.

- 21 thru 30 = 4 active, 6 archived (one of those was the GA Project Ape Cache).

Overall for the first 30.

- 15 active, 1 disabled and 14 archived.

A 50% success rate for caches almost 5 years old isn't too bad.

I've also done maintenance on my first find, as it's walking distance from my house. Also, two of my first thirty finds were archived, but have had replacement caches hidden very close by, because they were at cool locations (one hidden by me as a tribute to my first DNF). Finally, I've adopted two of my early finds and have continued to maintain them.

4 of the first 10 archived

7 of the first 20 archived

11 of the first 30 archived

Or, for the first three months (June 2002 through just past Labor Day weekend 2002):

First month: 4 of 19 archived

Second month: 16 of 30 archived

Third month: 9 of 34 archived

Total: 29 of 83 archived

Cool thread. It is always interesting to look BWGWF.

My numbers look like the last two folks on this thread, and the scary thing is I have only been doing this geocaching thing for little over a year!

4 of first 10 archived.

4 of second 10 archived.

2 of third 10 archived.

Ack! 4 of my 6 "milestones" archived. So much for memorable revists. :D

I did notice a trend during the first month. The caches in Yakima went missing at a much higher rate that those around Las Vegas. Hmm..

Wow, you're right! Only three of my 40 finds in Nevada are archived, and these were from trips in January 2003 (ahhhh, memories :D ) and in May 2004. A mix of virtuals on the strip and in Boulder City, and "go here and look under this big rock" caches in places like Red Rock Canyon. Perhaps caches last longer in the desert where they're not being rained and snowed upon?

I also noticed that caches in my home area tend to last longer than average, compared to the places where I've traveled.

• caches 1-10 3 archived
  • caches 11-20 6 archived
  • caches 21-30 4 archived

13 archived out of my first 30 cache finds.

Not too bad for 4 years ago!

While I was at it, I decided to look at my finds sorted by hide date.

Of the 30 oldest caches I've found (dating from Dec. 2000 to Aug. 2001), only 5 have been archived, and 3 of those were because of changes in land manager permission, not because of problems with the caches themselves.

How cool is THAT?

At least none were archived right after my find. That has to be my biggest caching fear.

Mine too! I always worry that we didn't re-hide it well enough, or that somebody may have seen us and will raid the cache when we leave. So far, I don't think we were the last finders of any of the archived caches on our list.

Our total archive-to-find ratio is about 30%.

P.S. Cool topic! :D

Edit: Added P.S.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

I thought it was going to be worse than it actually is.

Archived Finds, figuring by the month:

First month: 4/9 = 44%

Second month: 6/19 = 32%

Third month: 12/25 = 48%

Three month total: 22/53= 42%

Archived Finds, figuring by first 30:

First month: 4/10 = 40%

Second month: 5/10 = 50%

Third month: 2/10 = 20%

total: 11/30 = 37%

But when I look at the overall it isn't really too bad:

216 Archived /1218 Finds = 18%:

I just checked my first 50...of those, 38 have been archived.

Fortunately, one of my favorites, and also the first one I was a FTF on, is still active and was visited just last week. I had thought that the wildfires of a few years ago would have gotten it, but it survived in apparently good shape, a tribute to the cache hider who did an excellent job with the cache.

• First 10-6/10 archived
  • Second ten 6/10 archived
  • Third ten 6/10 archived

Do I sense a trend here? :o

Newer caches are near about half of the 18 archivals though, as new players come and dropouts go. A few of the earliest finds that are still active are being maintained by the local community.

One of the first ten is an historial marker virt, that really deserves to be used as an offest or multi.

I pushed the SBA button almost two years ago on my very first find. It had gone missing, and I wanted to place a stage of a multi within the 528' of it. Now I want to place an anniversary cache there, but cannot seem to fit it in.

I was surprised to see that finds #3&4 are out of state, when I was visiting my brother in Philly. Even back then I was a travelin' fool cacher. :P

I was just thinking about this same thing the other day. My breakdown is as followup

Of my first 50 caches

01-10 = 8 Archived (80%)

11-20 = 4 Archived (40%)

21-30 = 7 Archived (70%)

31-40 = 5 Archived (50%)

41-50 = 5 Archived (50%)

Total 29 out of 50 are archived for a total of 58%

:o

:o I don't know how to get the breakdown you guys are getting . . . :P

I found my first cache on January 17 of this year. Nine of my first 99 caches have been archived already.

Go to 'my account' page, click on logs for 'all caches'. Go to the last page; count up and divide away. ;)

Only one of those 9 was a traditional cache BTW.

:o I don't know how to get the breakdown you guys are getting . . . :P

I found my first cache on January 17 of this year. Nine of my first 99 caches have been archived already.

Go to 'my account' page, click on logs for 'all caches'. Go to the last page; count up and divide away. :D

;) By my count and recollection, all nine are Traditional caches.

Are you looking at my Profile? These are the ones I found in GSAK, not necessarily in the order I found them . . . :P

GCG5KF

GCG5KE

GC927C

GCHKBV

GCHNF1

GCHNEZ

GC734F

GCGNZ0

GCC0E5

I guess I'm still a newbie compared to the people who have posted here...

First 10 finds - all active.

Next 9/10 - still active

Next 7/10 - still active

Next 9/10 - still active (archived one is a Locationless)

Next 8/10 - still active

7/50 = 14% archived

Of the first 8 I found before I signed up at Geocaching.com, 4 are still active. Of the 4 archived ones, I logged my find on only 1 of them.

:D I don't know how to get the breakdown you guys are getting . . . :D

Go to 'my account' page, click on logs for 'all caches'. Go to the last page; count up and divide away. :D

B) By my count and recollection, all nine are Traditional caches.

Are you looking at my Profile? These are the ones I found in GSAK, not necessarily in the order I found them . . . :D

GCG5KF

GCG5KE

GC927C

GCHKBV

GCHNF1

GCHNEZ

GC734F

GCGNZ0

GCC0E5

Other players cannot see your account page, only your profile and stats pages. I just looked at your traditional finds and went to the last page.

Of course, the log dates and find dates may not be the same. :D

Almost 1000 finds in less than a year is pretty impressive, but you need to work on that find-post ratio. B)

Feeling like the odd one out - only 1 of my first 50 has been archived (found 7/04 thru 3/05).

Weird that this thread would pop up right now 'cause I recently had been researching all the archived caches in my locale with the goal of bring ones I thought warranted back to life. For example, Arago Cliffs has been archived for quite awhile and seemed to have great comments about the beauty of the rugged sandstone cliffs at the ocean's edge. In addition, I discovered it was the very first geocache placed along the Oregon coast. So I'm getting a cache together to place in that location again.

What are you all doing to the caches to make them get archived??

Several of the first caches I found were placed by a person who had stopped caching months earlier. The containers were not adequate (Gladware) and some of the placements were questionable (on Private Property).

A couple of others were in a large open space area with scattered rocks and boulders. The ammo cans were under such obvious piles of rocks, the muggles that frequented the area would have found them easily. They probably decided to take them home and use them. :D

I was looking at mine, and nothing too out of the ordinary, maybe a 33% achived rate for my early finds, but then I noticed a odd pattern.

A while back I went on a business trip to New Jersey, and over two days found 15 caches while introducing two of my coworkers to caching. Out of those 15 finds, only 4 are still active! So, the achived rate rate for those two cachers (okay, only one crated an account and continued caching) is down right ugly!

geo.jpg