Dumb Question

rynd

If you think trying to get rid of scottish notes south of the border is difficult you should try offloading Northern Irish sterling banknotes (of which there are several varieties including plastic ones). And as for the naming conventions Northern Irish people often refer to themselves as "Ulstermen" which is geographically correct although the ancient kingdom of Ulster includes three counties in the Republic of Ireland as well as the six which make up Northern Ireland.

Shall we talk about our flag as well?!

The Union Flag (or Jack as we shall see soon) is another can of worms..

Flag or Jack?

The Flag Institute answers as follows:

"It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”."

However, the Royal Navy disagrees:

"The national flag of the United Kingdom is worn as a Jack at the bow by all HM ships in commission when alongside or when ‘dressed overall’. This is the only occasion when it is correctly called the Union Jack, although it is generally known by this name through common usage. It is also flown during Courts Martial and is the Distinguishing Flag of an Admiral of the Fleet."

It is often drawn incorrectly with the red diagonals going into the corners of the white border to the red cross. they should be drawn with flat ends.

union-jack-errors.gif

Also it is often flown incorrectly (upside down usually), which is enough to enrage some citizens. A simple rule, thick white diagonal on the top next to the flag pole.

And it is sometimes drawn so badly (as graphics on TV sometimes) that it no longer represents any resemblance of how it is should be drawn.

This is a correct drawing of the flag. The pole would be to the left.

gb.gif

Anyway, find out more here http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/union-jack/union-jack.html

Oh, and I'm British, born in England a citizen of the United Kingdom.

Edited by jochta

...and the number of times the flag is hung the wrong way round is quite interesting, and people this I am the odd one for noticing.

We naturally have flags for each of the countries as well as the union (the UK). We (to my knowledge) don't have a flag fro Great Britain, but we do have a royal standard. We also have flags for counties.

Useless fact. You can erect a flag pole and fly the Union Jack and St. Georges flag without planning permission, but if you fly another flag (including a counties flag) you will need to apply.

I would love to, however there is a slight glich in your thinking, all the notes up here are Scottish. Last time I seen an English note was back in July. Oh Yeah I was in England at the time.

Shame - mind you the English banks were happy enough to change the Scottish notes I brought back earlier in the year when I came to see how the midges were doing.

BTW your computer clock is still on BST, or is that Scottish time! :lol::lol:

To add extra flavour, several banks in Scotland print their own money, so there's no one 'Scottish £10 note' as such - there are several. Royal Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale (sp?) and others.

SP

Royal Bank of Scotland, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale are all the major notes in Scotland. Off the top of my head I don't think that there are any more.

Regarding the Wales being a principlity thing mentioned above - yes Wales is a country, but historically it did not have a King at the time it was absorbed by the English crown. It was ruled by princes, and the English crown adopted the powers and privileges of the Welsh princes, and usually passed them on their the first son of the monarch. Scotland and Ireland had Kings, so when Ireland was conquered the English Monarch claimed the title, and of course, the English and Scottish royal houses were united, although the two countries operated as seperate kingdoms with one monarch for 100 years before the Act of Union in 1707 created one country.

As for the Welsh Assembly - it has a range of powers relating to Education, Health and economic developent and social welfare. Unlike the Westminster and Scottish Parliaments, it cannot make primary legislation, although it has powers to make secondary legislation. In other words, its powers to legislate are much more closely confined by Westminster than is the case in Scotland where large areas of Government are left for the Scots to make their own legislation.

[Rant] BTW - One thing that always really irritates me about the people who continually complain that the European Union threatens to destroy our distinctive natural character is - what county are these people living in? Which particular national character are they talking about? If the different regions of this fine country can maintain their character and traditions under a single monarchy and a single Parliament for hundreds of years, why should Europe make any difference? [/Rant]

In NI banks that issue sterling notes are: Allied Irish, Northern Bank, Bank of Ireland and the Ulster Bank. Northern Bank re-issued all its notes in early 2005 after the unfortunate incident involving £20-something-million going missing. Of course Bank of England and Scottish (sometimes) banknotes are used too. Bit of a nightmare really!

But - Pound Coins with the Scottish Coat of Arms on are minted by the Bank of England.

..and of course, the Bank of England mint is actually located in Wales these days!

Neither of these are actually correct - the coins are produced by The Royal Mint in Wales which has nothing to do with the Bank of England.

Bank of England banknotes are produced here in Essex. They used to be produced by the Bank of England but in the last few the production has been contracted out to De la Rue limited.

Guess who i used to work for :lol:

Chris

rynd, did you ever ask a Texan the same question about their "country" ? :o

Don't ask your Texan President about the GB/UK issue, though. He calls the place "Englandland".

A few years ago on Dutch TV news (yes, multicultural Holland) there was an article about Cardiff, in "the county of Wales".

Edited by sTeamTraen
The Union flag. How does one tell if it is 'upside down' or not. Looks the same both ways to me?

Longer answer - as per the links above it is 3 crosses superimposed. Cross of St George is dominant (obviously) but then you've got to get the white on blue St Andrew's saltire and the red St Patrick's saltire into the same space. Heraldically you assume that the pole is on the left and the quarters (cantons) are ranked in importance top left/top right/bottom left/bottom right. As the Scots joined the union first (old versions just have the white diagonals) they get top spot in numbers 1 and 3 and St Patrick gets spots 2 and 4. The white strip between the red and the blue is an extra because you aren't allowed to have 2 colours touching - they must be separated by a metal (white or yellow ie silver or gold) (I can hear you asking about the white and yellow Vatican flag - you're right but that was just the church demonstrating that the pope isn't bound by earthly rules :o )

Of course as it was a long time ago was it the Scots who joined the union or the Scotch? :P

I'll get my coat

Here's a serious Q then.

The Union flag. How does one tell if it is 'upside down' or not. Looks the same both ways to me?

But then... I can't find micros :o

Think "Top Heavy"

The White lines of the diagonal cross are of different thickness, either side of the red.

The thickest white line should be at the top on the side of the flagpole.

Er - If that makes sense! :P

If you fly the union flag upside down, it is a sign of distress.

It goes back to the days before radio, visual signal

Oh like ... --- ... :o

... .... .. - / . .- ... -.-- / .-- .... . -. / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / .... --- .--

73 es gd dx de Jon G4UXG

:P:P;)

Ohhhh G7BIM here... but I don't get that Morse Code stuff!

95% CW here (that's morse code to ham muggles...)

and that's why I don't talk proper innit.

:o

Oh, and is BBC English 'proper' English?

I noticed a lot of broadcasters have a scotch xxxxxxx scottish twinge these days.

All flags look the opposite if viewed from the other side - traditionally, flags are defined with the pole (the hoist) at the left, and are viewed that way in reference works. The flag will appear as mirror image when viewed with the pole on the right. For example, the US flag has the stars top left when the pole is on the left, and top right when the pole is on the right. However, as one quickly learns when studying vexillology there are exceptions to every rule - for example, almost any flag with with Arabic on it is made so it reads correctly when the pole is on the right. However, the Saudi flag has a quote fro mthe Quran on it and is manufactured with an extra panel of cloth so the text reads correctly on both sides - however the two sides are not identicle as the sword motif is reversed between the sides.

All flags look the opposite if viewed from the other side - traditionally, flags are defined with the pole (the hoist) at the left, and are viewed that way in reference works. The flag will appear as mirror image when viewed with the pole on the right. For example, the US flag has the stars top left when the pole is on the left, and top right when the pole is on the right. However, as one quickly learns when studying vexillology there are exceptions to every rule - for example, almost any flag with with Arabic on it is made so it reads correctly when the pole is on the right. However, the Saudi flag has a quote fro mthe Quran on it and is manufactured with an extra panel of cloth so the text reads correctly on both sides - however the two sides are not identicle as the sword motif is reversed between the sides.

I think Libya has got the right idea. Would save all this confusion..

Libya Flag

I vote for pink...

If you could fly the Union flag upside down AND back to front it would look right.

Gosh I'm bored :P

SP

Are you sure? If it was upside down and hung from the other side it would still be upside down... I think!

No, SP's correct. If you turn it upside down and fly it from the other side, it's as it should be.

Yes, I'm bored too... :o