Origin Of "tus"

Team Maccabee

Rather than hijack my own topic, I'll start another one. I'm relatively new to geocaching, and I have kept hearing the acronym "TUS" around the caches in the Seattle-area, as in "I wonder which TUS is going to be FTF." TUS in this manner stands for Typical Usual Suspect, a play off of the classic Casablanca phrase "round up the usual suspects."

So my question is this: what is the origin of TUS in geocaching? Is it limited to the Seattle area? What's the limits of its use?

Just curious,

Team Maccabee's Abba.

Ok, here is another acronym question.  I've seen this in the forums and on cache page:

ACD or ACDer

What's this one?

That would be the Alaska Cache-N-Dash in this forum post.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=93029

There were 9 members of the ACD Team and we had a phenomenal trip.

Most definitely a unique Pacific Northwest acronym.

Edited by CENT5
You probably have already seen it, but The Lexicon is a good place to look for the more general terms. These are all local and didn't make Prime Suspect's list.

Yeah, I checked the Lexicon out. I only figured out recently that TUS was a term with a local meaning. Although the term "usual suspects" has been used in other parts of the country to refer to FTFers. See this 2003 Massachusetts cache and this 2004 Tennessee cache.

Yeah, I checked the Lexicon out. I only figured out recently that TUS was a term with a local meaning. Although the term "usual suspects" has been used in other parts of the country to refer to FTFers. See this 2003 Massachusetts cache and this 2004 Tennessee cache.

The difference I guess is that those cachers are appreciated while the Seattle gang is considered tiresome. We don't mind though and we're always on the lookout for more tiresome caching types to join us!

ACDer and TUS.  Sounds like some kind of crazy street gang!  I guess in a way it is kind of.  Maybe we could rumble after school!! :D

Yup - blessed member of the former here (the ACD gang - THE most fantastic geoadventure ever!), and proud dubber of the latter - the local TUS acronym. Oddly, some seem to have taken the fanciful term all personal-like - geesh, "after school" indeed! ;)

So, of course, the next question: who is among the roster of the TUS?

Well, since it was I who first took offense to the term as it was originally written (and despite the recent spin to the contrary, the original intent was quite negative) I'll answer this. After discussion among a group of us, we decided to adopt the term and be even more tiresome than we ever had been. The "freshmen" class as it were, was comprised of fishiam, FunnyNose, OldBaldEagle, Nolenator, The Mercury Project and by association, blindleader. A second, or sophomore, class would include fauxSteve, markta, nevcowpok, and those new kids on the block BHMP. One might even include Prying Pandora who would have the unique distinction of being linked to both the TUS and ACD crew.

Of course we are always open to new members, you just have to be a lttle bit tiresome in your pursuit of the elusive FTF. peace, fishiam

ps - this is not meant to undermine the early FTF exploits of such local legends as evergreenhiker!, K7-wave, Weightman and no doubt several others. If they want to be considered tiresome, welcome aboard!

Edited by fishiam

I'm working on making and hiding my first cache right now, to be hidden in a few weeks. I was already going to put a FTF prize and a kid's FKTF (i.e. First Kid to Find) prize. I think I'm going to put a F-TUS-TF (First TUS To Find); maybe a cow bell on a necklace, so that we can all hear you coming for future cache (like a cat's bell is for birds). Hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Team Maccabee's Abba

Edited by Team Maccabee
I remember the first time I met EGH!, it was just after I beat him to a FTF on Monkeys of Heck. I belted out a big WHOO HOO after that one. Peace, Nolenator

Twice I have had to endure the Nolenator FTF dance/gyration as he ferreted out the cache right in front of me and my eyeballs still ache and burn at the memory.

I remember the first time I met EGH!, it was just after I beat him to a FTF on Monkeys of Heck.  I belted out a big WHOO HOO after that one.  Peace, Nolenator

Twice I have had to endure the Nolenator FTF dance/gyration as he ferreted out the cache right in front of me and my eyeballs still ache and burn at the memory.

Oh, the horror of it all.

Keep dreaming fishy!  Peace, Nolenator

Go read the headline on the front of the sports section in this morning's Seattle Times/P-I newspaper.

Ummm... don't you need to go into hibernation before you can come out? :signalviolin:

7e1a6828-7985-4d6c-803b-19e0542f598a.jpg

I don't think they celebrated that much when they won the Rose Bowl way back when... :mad: I am not sure any of the current players were out of diapers then :(

Keep dreaming fishy!  Peace, Nolenator

Go read the headline on the front of the sports section in this morning's Seattle Times/P-I newspaper.

Ummm... don't you need to go into hibernation before you can come out? :signalviolin:

7e1a6828-7985-4d6c-803b-19e0542f598a.jpg

C'mon folks, cut me a little slack. In the past month I have just 15 finds ... the only caching I do is the local FTF hunt - no day long excursions or weekend cache runs. That is at least partial hibernation. When is the last month most of you had only 15 finds? Go Dawgs. UW 24 WSU 21 next week. peace, fishiam (and no, I ain't betting a Garmin 60)

Sorry Ichthy-boy, but I can't resist...

THEN................................................................NOW

Hibernating for the winter...............................At least partial hibernation

Turning in GPSr for family to hide from you......Only the local FTF hunt

Not going to cache at all..................................Only 15 finds this month

I can stop anytime I want to, too. The fish is hooked!

I will try very hard to cut you some slack now. :signalviolin:

Just to keep yourself to 15 over the next month.  Can you do it?

Okay Mr. Master of your own Domain, you have yourself a challenge!

Let's make Monday, December 12th the cut-off date. That's four weeks from now. Sure, we can both give in a bit, or grab the occassional ftf, stf, or ttf in our backyard. I figure you'll need your December ftf anyway (not that you've had any problems this month). Therefore, I don't suggest that you have to go cold turkey.

Instead, I offer this:

I bet you exceed my new finds by more than ten (10) on that date. You are currently at 511 and I'm at 512, so counting should be easy. Heck, I'll even let you find a few of those armchair caches in Germany for free if you want. What do you say, fish? I actually wouldn't be surprised if the number is fifteen or more!

Just to keep yourself to 15 over the next month.  Can you do it?

Okay Mr. Master of your own Domain, you have yourself a challenge!

Let's make Monday, December 12th the cut-off date. That's four weeks from now. Sure, we can both give in a bit, or grab the occassional ftf, stf, or ttf in our backyard. I figure you'll need your December ftf anyway (not that you've had any problems this month). Therefore, I don't suggest that you have to go cold turkey.

Instead, I offer this:

I bet you exceed my new finds by more than ten (10) on that date. You are currently at 511 and I'm at 512, so counting should be easy. Heck, I'll even let you find a few of those armchair caches in Germany for free if you want. What do you say, fish? I actually wouldn't be surprised if the number is fifteen or more!

Taken.

So, Mr. "I have to study for my oral exams in December", almost-Ph.D candidate, I will accept this challenge because it helps you as much as me. I appreciate the latitude you've given for the occasional blood-pressure raising FTF hunt. But, as BHMP might also wonder ... can you really resist another all weekend consuming CL-type Other Side of the World type challenge? For sure, the local TUS are gonna taunt you with hides (does this challenge include hides by me (or you), btw?) ...

In one month, I'll be at or below 526 and to win the wager you have to be below 516 (how'd you get all the way to 512 anyway, shouldn't you have been studying?)

peace

fishiam

This should be fun... I don't plan to hide anything during the course of this challenge, but go ahead if you so desire. BHMP, OBE, FunnyNose, and others will be happy that you did. But it would be sad if it was a thematic taunt and I ignored it  :D

OK Kramer, er fauxSteve, how about meeting at the usual time/place for coffee to shake on it? Nolie should even be there to witness.

Edited by fishiam
This should be fun... I don't plan to hide anything during the course of this challenge, but go ahead if you so desire. BHMP, OBE, FunnyNose, and others will be happy that you did. But it would be sad if it was a thematic taunt and I ignored it  :D

OK Kramer, er fauxSteve, how about meeting at the usual time/place for coffee to shake on it? Nolie should even be there to witness.

Yep, fer sure, I watched em shake on it. Peace, Nolenator

Indeed, with nolenator as our witness: the game is on... Good luck fish! I'm looking forward to my malty prize!

Don't anticipate your IPA before you've actually made the sacrifice, my faux one. I have taken steps to help me in my quest. I shall prevail, I shall remain Master of My Domain!

Oh, this topic has the strong smell of TUS testosterone... :rolleyes:

Just for you folk, I'll have a "Super-Dooper" First TUS to Find prize in my first cache, to be hidden sometime this month.  And I believe it is not even 2 miles from fishiam and fauxSteve...

TUStosterone?

It will be great when FunnyNose, OBE, BHMP, blindleader, TMP and fishiam all bump into each other at that FTF!

Maybe as the prize I will hold off and post my Something Evil in Downtown Seattle on the last day of your "celibacy".  That way I don't taunt you too much.  Peace, Nolenator

Nah, I say go ahead and hide it. Taunt away!