Tb And Geocoins At An Event

NotThePainter

Jeannette and I plan to attend our first geocache event tomorrow. I see on the web page that there are tons of TBs there already, including some coins.

... coins that I don't have the icons for...

You can probably see my question coming. Aside from drinking beer at the pub, TBs etc will probably trade hands. Obviously, if I bring one home I can log, but what's the protocol of ID#s at an event? I know I worked hard for my first White Jeep, I wouldn't want one handed to me.

I guess the answer I'm going to hear is that some people get ID #s and some don't and that we all play by our own rules.

Thanks!

(And I'll have a drink for each and everyone of you.... hmmm, Jeannette better drive then.)

Paul

I guess the answer I'm going to hear is that some people get ID #s and some don't and that we all play by our own rules.

Yep, some people bring a note pad and write down the serial number of everything they see at the event so they can log them all when they get home. (there also seem to be a few that even log coins they've never seen, just to get more icons)

Others don't pad their number like this, and only log ''found'" for traveling items on ones they actually moved.

The geocaching hobby is evolving and forking off largely-unrelated side-hobbies. The virtual travel bug thing, the geocoin collecting thing, they're activities that take place almost entirely without setting foot outdoors and touching a cache. It's cacher-to-cacher and online. Has nothing to do with the thrill of the hunt and everything to do with the thrill of collecting things: icons, coins, even smileys.

If people are enjoying it and it doesn't hurt anyone, that's great!

The question I have is how it works.

People with the TB/coin/Jeep in their possesion log it INTO the event before going, right? Then give the numbers out at the thing. Then all those people have to log it, then put it back into the event? Then the person who brough it eventually logs it back out of the event and back into their inventory afterwards?

IS that what happens? If so, I always here about bugs and stuff getting lost at cache events, how can that happen if the person that brought it can always log it back out afterwards?

Edited by Teamhawaii1981 & blueicyrose
The question I have is how it works.

People with the TB/coin/Jeep in their possesion log it INTO the event before going, right? Then give the numbers out at the thing. Then all those people have to log it, then put it back into the event? Then the person who brough it eventually logs it back out of the event and back into their inventory afterwards?

IS that what happens? If so, I always here about bugs and stuff getting lost at cache events, how can that happen if the person that brought it can always log it back out afterwards?

Sometimes the person that brought it doesn't go home with it.

A lot of people will log the geocoins found at events. Its not something I would do (I'll only log ones I found in regular caches), but its not something that I see anything wrong with. Technically you did find the coin at the event, so if you want to log it and get the icon, great.

In fact, with a lot of coins this is the only way to log them. People carry around personal coins and when you meet them on the trail, or at an event they will give you the number and you can log it.

TB's are usually there for the taking, so if you see one you can help along, bring it home and log it the same way you do if you find it in a regular cache.

The practice I don't understand is when people trade numbers of coins that they've never seen. I just don't get the point.

I have a binder with pages that hold my coins. I take this with me whenever I attend an event. This gives cachers an opportunity to see all of the personal sig items that they might normally never have the opportunity to see.

2 or 3 of those pages are filled with trackable coins. Various state, country, group, event, and personal coins. I carry a paper with the tracking numbers to all of those coins with me.

The sad truth is, there just aren't that many coins out there actually travelling. Many of the ones that are end up getting stolen. I let anyone that wants to copy the numbers down and log the coins.

It sounds innocuous enough, but it is a real pain. Especially at a busy event. Since I am the owner of all of the coins, except the Moun10Bike coins, I get an email EVERY time a cacher logs the coin, and then drops it back into the event. This can add up to several hundred emails after just 1 event! I tell people to grab them, and just hang onto them. The next person can take it from them, and it saves me one set of emails!

That's my 2 cents!

I recently attended my first event. There were lots of bugs and books full of coins. The only thing I logged was the bug I dropped and the bug I actually took home.

Others can do what they want - I only log what I actually find find or move or own. It's the way I choose to do things.

I've dabbled in coins but not much. For me geocaching is about getting outside and finding the cache. Forum time is mostly done at work. :D

Edited by Thrak
The practice I don't understand is when people trade numbers of coins that they've never seen. I just don't get the point.

Pure and simple, they want that extra icon on their profile page. It's all about collecting things, nothing to do with caching or travel-bugging. Doesn't float my boat either but it does for some and if they're happy then great! Doesn't detract from my game in the least.

It sounds innocuous enough, but it is a real pain. Especially at a busy event. Since I am the owner of all of the coins, except the Moun10Bike coins, I get an email EVERY time a cacher logs the coin, and then drops it back into the event. This can add up to several hundred emails after just 1 event! I tell people to grab them, and just hang onto them. The next person can take it from them, and it saves me one set of emails!

c4,

I do the same thing.....its fun to share the coins with folks who have never seen any. Like you, I will dump coins into an Event....then tell the 1st person to grab it, then the next can simply grab it from the last person, and so on. I wait about a week, then reel my coins back home.

BTW: These are NOT virtual logs......my policy is concurrent with M10B, in that you can't log it unless youv'e actually touched it (albiet through a plastic sleeve, but non the less, "touched" it)...

Edited by Go JayBee

Since most people have already hashed out the whys and why nots, I'll discuss the mechanics of the "log and drop":

Before you log a Geocoin or a Travel Bug, be sure to study the history of it first. Some of them are meant to be grabbed ONLY and never dropped into any cache or events, so follow the instructions accordingly.

For Travel Bugs, be sure to log it as quickly as possible (within the same day). It is very confusing and rude to log it AFTER it has been dropped off to another cache after the event.

If a Geocoin or Travel Bug is physically not with you when you log it, you should drop it back into the event cache with the appropriate "Attended" or "Note" log right away, unless someone else grabbed it from you already.

Some TB owners STRONGLY discourage TBs to be dropped off at events, so if you spot one of those, physically grab it and move it to another cache.

Personally, I never understood people logging as many TBs as possible at an event, since it's a hassle and takes time to do it right. Be choosy. Log interesting ones like full-size cars, hats, cats, and other personal TBs. Avoid logging TBs that doesn't interest you. For Geocoin icon collecting, engage in a conversation with the owner, a great excuse to become social if you are shy.

Many of the coins that go along with the new icons will be rare if not impossible to find in a cache.

We think finding stuff in caches beats just grabbing stuff at events hands down, so we are importing coins to place in caches in the UK. In order to try to extend the travelling life of our coins we bash a hole in them and then attach a label using a key ring loop soldered shut. Not foolproof, but hopefully will discourage nasty little people*. Not got many out there yet, but we'll let you know how we get on...

Bambi.

* Substitute for your favourite unfavourable description for the sort of people that take coins/bugs from caches and keep them :D By the by, I do think that there is a little ambiguity about coins in caches, since some coins are left as a swap and others as travelling items, so I'm sure that some have been taken in error, though certainly not all :D

As an event owner I appreciate it when folks DON'T log coins back into the event. At my last event a number of people logged each coin (of many) individually back into the event. Generating unbelievable amounts of email and cluttering the page up with a zillion "coin drop" logs... If you feel the need to redrop them, please do it with a single note.

c4,

I do the same thing.....its fun to share the coins with folks who have never seen any. Like you, I will dump coins into an Event....then tell the 1st person to grab it, then the next can simply grab it from the last person, and so on. I wait about a week, then reel my coins back home.

BTW: These are NOT virtual logs......my policy is concurrent with M10B, in that you can't log it unless youv'e actually touched it (albiet through a plastic sleeve, but non the less, "touched" it)...

This tends to be the way we play also. It's fun to share, and sometimes it works on our end also. :D

I have a binder with pages that hold my coins. I take this with me whenever I attend an event. This gives cachers an opportunity to see all of the personal sig items that they might normally never have the opportunity to see.

2 or 3 of those pages are filled with trackable coins. Various state, country, group, event, and personal coins. I carry a paper with the tracking numbers to all of those coins with me.

The sad truth is, there just aren't that many coins out there actually travelling. Many of the ones that are end up getting stolen. I let anyone that wants to copy the numbers down and log the coins.

That's my 2 cents!

Is there any way to 'ignore' the coins? Like you can with caches. That would save you a lot of trouble. If there isn't somebody should email Groundspeak with that suggestion.

We have a lot of people that bring geocoins or personal TBs to events that are never meant to be traded, but others can log. My Jeep is an example of this, and there is alocal cacher who brings her cat to events and it has a TB tag. I only log TBs I actually move unless they are *meant* to be logged without being moved.

Others are more or less strict in their personal logging. The only thing I personally don't care for are people logging coins/TBs they've never seen and never will, or people that write down all the TB numbers at an event and then grab them days later, forcing everyone to grab them back again (or worse, they grab them after they have been dropped into a cache somewhere, and then drop them back into the event. Doh!)