Gps License Cost?

ImpalaBob

Does anyone know if there is a GPS use license fee imbedded in the cost of each GPS unit, and if so how much per unit? I recently had someone tell me that there was .... and frankly it has never come up on the forum. I had to get a FCC restricted radio operators license in the early days of my flight training, and wonder just how the GPS Rhino units handle radio communication fees as well.

:anitongue: ImpalaBob

Traffic and Weather Add-ons to the new GPS units, is the only thing I can think of.

Many of the Magellan units will say on their GPS unit Pages, that there are absolutly no fees involved after purchase of a GPS unit, except the Maps you load into a GPS unit.

Don't know about GPS-enabled Cell phones, but a normal GPS handheld will never have user fees.

Edited by GOT GPS?
Does anyone know if there is a GPS use license fee imbedded in the cost of each GPS unit, and if so how much per unit? I recently had someone tell me that there was .... and frankly it has never come up on the forum. I had to get a FCC restricted radio operators license in the early days of my flight training, and wonder just how the GPS Rhino units handle radio communication fees as well.

There is no built in fee on the Rhino...On the radio side of the unit, just using the FRS frquencies does not require a radio license. If you use the GMRS frequencies, then you are required to get a licence. I think the fee is $35 and there is an online site where you can apply. In reality, the vast majority of people I run into are using the GMRS freq. without a license......which doesn't make it right, but that just appears to be the way it is.

The satellites are of course owned and operated by the military so it free to use them or like gamps said we pay for them on April 15. You mentioned the rhino so perhaps you are talking about license and fees to use the two way radio features of those units. The rhinos will transmit on FRS frequency's and GMRS frequencies. The FRS part does not require a license but the GMRS defiantly does.

stevesisti types faster than me so he beat me to it. I think the fee is about $90 though.

Edited by rynd

Thanks for the responses. I was pretty sure there was no imbedded GPS use fee in the units. It seems the FCC has some free use frequencies and some pay to use frequencies. The frequency range seems to be the determining factor.

I'm glad to see we still get something free for our taxes!

The satellites are of course owned and operated by the military so it free to use them or like gamps said we pay for them on April 15. You mentioned the rhino so perhaps you are talking about license and fees to use the two way radio features of those units. The rhinos will transmit on FRS frequency's and GMRS frequencies. The FRS part does not require a license but the GMRS defiantly does.

stevesisti types faster than me so he beat me to it. I think the fee is about $90 though.

I type faster but don't always have accurate info...the fee is listed as $80 on the gov't website :anitongue:

Your use fees are computed every April 15. :anitongue:

The fees are computed every paycheck. April 15 is just the deadline for filing a form indicating whether I overpaid or underpaid my fees. The fees are only assessed on US citizens or persons working in the United States. So there are a lot of geocachers out there free-loading on the system I paid for. I won't say anything about those who won't pay for a Groundspeak premium membership. :anitongue:

They have their reasons and they usually won't match yours as mine didn't match anybody else's for a long time before I finally paid for my membership. Grousing about it even mildly only shows off your sour grapes.

Frankly, the only valid reason anybody should have (aside from supporting the system) is you pay when you decide you want the perks that go with it... and that should be good enough for anybody.

Your use fees are computed every April 15. :lol:

The fees are computed every paycheck. April 15 is just the deadline for filing a form indicating whether I overpaid or underpaid my fees. The fees are only assessed on US citizens or persons working in the United States. So there are a lot of geocachers out there free-loading on the system I paid for. I won't say anything about those who won't pay for a Groundspeak premium membership. :lol:

Thanks from the UK :lol: :lol: