"codeword" Cache?

Erfunden

There's a cornerstone, left over from an old building, that's a very interesting piece of local history sitting in the middle of a large, flat, treeless, lawn with heavy traffic. I wanted to make a chace out of it so I submitted it as a virtual cache, requiring the name of the archatect and what not, which was engraved in the side of one of the stones. My cache was declined because physical caches are the basis of geocaching. Alright. I can deal with that.

I spent a couple of weeks after that scouring this entire field for a hidy-hole and a container that will fit in it. Eventually I found a 5ml microtesttube that fit in a hole in the base of the rock. I camoflauged it so it was muggle-invisable. But the cache is so small that there's no way a log book would fit in it. So I created a website with a guest book, copied the url onto a piece of paper, laminated it, and rolled it up into the cache. I resubmitted the cache as a micro.

My reviewer rejected it saying that a traditional cache has at least the container and the log inside and the virtual logbook doesn't count. Apparently the paper with the url is closest to a "codeword cache" aka, a cache that contains an onbject or codeword to verify the find.

So what is a codeword cache? Is it a type of Mystery or Puzzle cache or maybe does it count as a multicache? What other options do I have with this cache?

You should probably start by actually reading the guidelines for hiding a cache, instead of just blindly checking off the box claiming you did.

Both incarnations of your cache are clearly disallowed in the guidelines.

That said, I've done caches a lot smaller then what you placed, and they had a log to sign. If you can fit a laminated sheet with directions to go to a website, you can fit a piece of paper for me to sign.

A code word cache is a cach that, instead of a logbook, has a number, word or identifying mark that you send to the owner as proof you found it. While yours technically isn't a codeword cache, its similar enough that I can see why the reviewer rejected it.

The guidelines read in part:

Traditional Caches

This is the original cache type consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook. The cache may be filled with objects for trade. Normally you'll find a Tupperware-style container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies, or smaller container ("microcache") too small to contain items except for a logbook. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location of the cache. A container with just an object or codeword for verification, and no logbook, generally, does not qualify as a traditional cache.

You still can make this work. You can either roll up a small logsheet and place it in the container, or you can turn it into an offset cache, using information found on the cornerstone to point to a container hidden in a nearby park.

Those are all some pretty good suggestions. I have my own personal quips with most of them but that's neither here nor there.

But none of you have answered my question yet. -> What is a codeword cache classified as?

Do they fit under one of the geocaching.com classifications or are codeword caches just not allowed (like locationless caches)?

Those are all some pretty good suggestions.  I have my own personal quips with most of them but that's neither here nor there.

But none of you have answered my question yet. -> What is a codeword cache classified as?

Do they fit under one of the geocaching.com classifications or are codeword caches just not allowed (like locationless caches)?

Exactly as you say. They are not allowed, and hence there is no classification of them.

If you want to press it into one of the old classes then it's IMHO closer to a virtual than to a traditional.

Actually, small well-camouflaged micros (with a tiny logbook) can be quite some fun (once you found that little bastard, that is... :anitongue:).

Cheers,

HoPri

I spent a couple of weeks after that scouring this entire field for a hidy-hole and a container that will fit in it. Eventually I found a 5ml microtesttube that fit in a hole in the base of the rock. I camoflauged it so it was muggle-invisable. But the cache is so small that there's no way a log book would fit in it. So I created a website with a guest book, copied the url onto a piece of paper, laminated it, and rolled it up into the cache. I resubmitted the cache as a micro.

My reviewer rejected it saying that a traditional cache has at least the container and the log inside and the virtual logbook doesn't count. Apparently the paper with the url is closest to a "codeword cache" aka, a cache that contains an onbject or codeword to verify the find.

So what is a codeword cache? Is it a type of Mystery or Puzzle cache or maybe does it count as a multicache? What other options do I have with this cache?

I have a couple of micro containers I've made using a 1ml cryovial. Trust me, you can get a log in them.

Here's what I did... I printed out a sheet of paper with lines about 1/8" apart. I rolled it up nice and tight and was able to get a 9"x1" strip of paper in there. I made the roll big enough that it actually seats in the cap for easy removal even. It CAN be done, just be creative and perhaps a bit persisant.

Granted mine is not laminated. But that's why I chose a cryovial. It has a nice rubber seal that can handle more than New England weather is likely to dish out. Geocachers... we'll see when I find a good spot for it. :D

If you want more info, get in touch.