Geocaching Safety Tips

Nerves

Those are some good suggestions for carrying a knife although I hope to never have to hack off a limb. I used to camp alot for weeks on end when I lived in the northwest and always carried a knife with me. Since I've been geocaching I haven't had much use for one but you never know...A multitool is sure useful especially when prying micros out of a hidey hole.

For caches that involve more of a hike I have a basic kit that fits into a fanny pack. The most important thing to do is make sure someone knows where you are going and what time you will call them at.

For basic geocaches I would carry the following things.

1. Whitsle - Get the type that does not have the "pea" in it, they are much louder and can be heard from a mile away. You'll yell yourself hoarse long before you run out of breath from blowing a whistle.

2. Cell phone - But remember you may not always get signal, on the other hand you can hand it someone and tell them to keep going down the trail until they do.

3. First aid kit - Make your own, some gauze pads and band aids in a small tupperware will always come in for you or someone else.

4. Knife/multi tool - A 1001 and one uses, some you'll never even think of until youneed it.

5. 2 or 3 trash bags, like the type you use to bag leaves, folded up in a small square and stuffed in your bag. Its a poncho, a shelter.

6. Above all maintain a positive mental attitude, panic makes people do stupid things.

I'd suggest you read this book. This is wilderness survival for dummies books. Dispels a lot of myths, written in simple terms, and deals in how to survive long enough for someone to find you. It does not get bogged down in how to snare wild animals and other stuff that requires reall training

On wilderness hikes I usually wear my high-top boots, but sometimes on shorter hunts in suburban parks I wear sneakers, esp. in the summer. I have noticed that I have more falls and ankle injuries in the sneakers. The boots have better tread for gripping uneven surfaces and also provide better ankle support. A walking stick can also help prevent falls and injuries. FWIW, CharlieP

In addition to all of the good suggestions above, I'd add:

• Map & compass (and the ability to use them)
  • Additional water and energy snacks (more than needed for the planned route)

Relying solely on GPS and/or trails for tricky navigation can leave you lost and stranded. Bonking from dehydration and/or energy deficit can render you too dopey to find your way back, or simply cause you to make bad decisions of the kind that cascade into dire survival situatuions.

I got a little complacent about these factors on an ambitious day hike a few months ago and paid a minor price in inconvenience and embarassment. It was enough to snap me back to the straight and narrow.

Oh, and another easily neglected navigational hint for both GPS and map/compass navigation: Periodically look behind you. This is the view you will be seeing on the way back! If you've had the sensation that the hike looks completely different on the return to the car, you haven't been doing this enough.

On wilderness hikes I usually wear my high-top boots, but sometimes on shorter hunts in suburban parks I wear sneakers, esp. in the summer. I have noticed that I have more falls and ankle injuries in the sneakers. The boots have better tread for gripping uneven surfaces and also provide better ankle support.

I also have two types of shoes for my hikes. As I was leaving for my infamous hike, I thought - hmmmm....should I wear the high top hiking boots? Nah....it's just a quick hike in the woods and it's warm today....think I'll wear the hiking sneakers. Bad choice. Maybe if I'd had the ankle support from the high tops my accident wouldn't have happened.

Well, when it comes to backcountry travel, other than the clothes on my back, the absolute first thing I pack with me is a GOOD knife.  Personally, I recommend a fixed-blade, but a folding knife--WITH a locking blade would do as well.

At the risk of sounding completely ignorant, under what circumstances would you use a knife?

Not ignorant at all.

Possible uses just off the top of my head...

-shaving/splitting wood for kindling

-strike (back of blade) on rock for sparks to start fire

-cutting cloth for bandage

-cut branches for spin

the list can go on and on...

I just downloaded it . . . now to print it out and take it somewhere to get it laminated . . . :D

I bought laminating cards at Office Depot. I don't have a laminating machine so I put them into the provided cardboard sleeve and then put that inside a washcloth and ironed it (both sides) on the high setting. It worked great. This is what I use to laminate my TB "mission tags".

Here is a link to a disease geocachers are especially prone to:

Blastomycosis

Basically, it's a fungal disease caused by inhaling spores from the soil or rotting wood. It can be debilitating or fatal if not treated. The symptoms are typically like pneumonia, but can affect other organs or harm you without any symptoms at all initially. Pretty insidious.

Yuck. Luckily we don't have this in New England but we do have plenty of Lyme disease.

Looks like blastomycosis is a fungal pneumonia that can also affect the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) as well as other organs. Men - be aware it can affect the epididymis and prostate gland so if you have symptoms in THAT area bring it to someone's attention.

So, should we add a mask to the safety list if you live where this fungus is prevalent?

One of the most disturbing things about stories like this is that even if you were to pick up your cell phone and give the dispatcher your exact coordinates they probably wouldn't be able to use that information to find you and send help!

I've checked with our local police departments about this and even with the increasing use of GPS by citizens there're no plans to improve their capabilities.

If you don't know exactly where you are the coordinates may not help you!

One of the most disturbing things about stories like this is that even if you were to pick up your cell phone and give the dispatcher your exact coordinates they probably wouldn't be able to use that information to find you and send help!

I've checked with our local police departments about this and even with the increasing use of GPS by citizens there're no plans to improve their capabilities.

If you don't know exactly where you are the coordinates may not help you!

SAR pilots do know exactly how to use them.

In the city, cross streets works best. In the forest, give coordinates.

Of the folks who have downloaded/printed the Emergency Medical ID card, what are your thoughts? Any concerns or edits?

BomberJohn

At a glance, my only concern would be that the background topo watermark, which on screen looks wonderful, might be confusing in an emergency situation. Just my humble opinion. My thoughts would be a simple grey or other light color background, something that will stand out against other items in a wallet, solid color, font colors as you have them and the alert box with a white background to really make it pop out.

Another suggestion, if you have the capability is create your .pdf with fillable fields so people can type the information in on their computer (versus my illegible handwriting) and print it all with nice, computer generated text.

Other than that, looks great!

Of the folks who have downloaded/printed the Emergency Medical ID card, what are your thoughts? Any concerns or edits?

BomberJohn

At a glance, my only concern would be that the background topo watermark, which on screen looks wonderful, might be confusing in an emergency situation. Just my humble opinion. My thoughts would be a simple grey or other light color background, something that will stand out against other items in a wallet, solid color, font colors as you have them and the alert box with a white background to really make it pop out.

Another suggestion, if you have the capability is create your .pdf with fillable fields so people can type the information in on their computer (versus my illegible handwriting) and print it all with nice, computer generated text.

Other than that, looks great!

Thanks for the feedback. When printed, the backgraound is barely visible. I could remove it totally. I had originally had hopes to make it a "geocaching emergency medical ID card".

As for the fillable fields, I will see if I can do that. Never done that, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again.

BomberJohn

I am going to close this topic in favor of opening a new discussion devoted to the geocaching medical ID card. I feel that the medical ID card is vital to carry with you at all times and would encourage everyone who reads this to type your info and print out the card. Thanks to everyone for their excellent suggestions and input.