Geocoin Production Rules

rojeel

I have read pieces of what appear to be rules throughout the forums. Are the rules posted somewhere. I am in the initial stages of creating a coin for an event late next year and need to know what I am doing before I try and sell the idea to the event co-organizers.

Thanks

I have the info from GC.com and Groundspeak. There was a request to post it to this thread, but I don't know the policy of posting anothers e-mail to a public area. All info is Public Domain info, as far as I can tell, and I don't see a problem, but I would like one of the powers that be to advise me if it is OK, since I couldn't find this info posted anywhere else.

So if one of the Forum Moderators would let me know if I should post it, or send it to them for posting, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

rojeel,

Since I'm not sure what you are referring to, send it to me and I will check it out for you. As far as rules about coins go, since coins are a relatively new phenomenon there aren't any formal rules. If you check out some of the threads you'll see what the general opinions are. You mention a coin and you mention event organizers, so I'm not clear on the question. But let's figure this out for you. You can email me thorugh my profile or private message me using the PM button at the bottom of my post here.

Sincerely,

Eartha - your volunteer geocoin forum moderator

E-mail sent to Eartha.

Additional Info

The event will be in Oct 06. We had one in Oct 05. There were 3 teams of cachers who put on the event "Minna Anthony Common Nature Center Gathering GCQNBG". We are planning a second annual event. I see coins commemorating events on the forums and thought that would be a good idea and may attract more cachers. We had 40+ people at the first one. I saw my first two coins at that event. I want to get all the info I can before I discuss making a coin with the other teams. Also I am unsure if this would be a personal coin (multiple teams and an event) or an organization coin (we aren't an organization). I was only thinking of a couple of hundred coins, but it appears we would have to go larger.

Thanks Again

E-mail sent to Eartha.

Additional Info

The event will be in Oct 06. We had one in Oct 05. There were 3 teams of cachers who put on the event "Minna Anthony Common Nature Center Gathering GCQNBG". We are planning a second annual event. I see coins commemorating events on the forums and thought that would be a good idea and may attract more cachers. We had 40+ people at the first one. I saw my first two coins at that event. I want to get all the info I can before I discuss making a coin with the other teams. Also I am unsure if this would be a personal coin (multiple teams and an event) or an organization coin (we aren't an organization). I was only thinking of a couple of hundred coins, but it appears we would have to go larger.

Thanks Again

If it is a personal coin you can go with a smaller number if you share with someone or use a mint that is a one-stop shopping site.

Thanks

Waiting for Eartha to get back with me about posting the GC e-mail. It looks like the proper event coin procedure is to offer them at the event and then offer the remainder to the collectors in the forum. Does this sound right?

'proper procedure'? I didn't know there was one :rolleyes:

I also think it would be nice to see at least the current "unofficial" rules posted here about coins.

This is my understanding so far, and hopefully others can fill in the blanks:

State/Country Geocoins:

To be trackable on Geocaching.com requires a minimum order of 1,000 coins. Groundspeak generates the numbers and the activation codes, therefore they will not be a sequential series (0001 - 1000), but rather random alpha-numeric codes similar to the travelbugs. The current cost of this is $1.50/coin. For an additional $150 you can have your own icon, which you must submit the artwork for.

I believe local caching groups fall under the same category as state coins, and require a minimum of 1000 coins as well.

Personal Geocoins:

To be trackable on Geocaching.com requires a minimum order of 500 coins. All trackable personal coins share the same icon. I know some people have split the numbers between a two or more groups to reduce the number of coins they each need to make.

Event Geocoins:

Not sure of the regulations for event coins and what the minimum requirements are.

Geocaching.com must approve all artwork before coin numbers will be issued. There is also a requirement for them to state "trackable at geocaching.com" on the coin.

I am going to copy the e-mail from Bryan at Groundspeak. I am omitting the signature and contact info, but all other info is as I received it.

"E-mail contents follow"

Here is some additional information regarding our geocoin tracking policy

and requirements.

First, unlike the usageocoins, the tracking numbers printed on all new

coins must be alphanumeric, rather than solely numeric. The purposes for

this is to avoid people being able to guess the numbers and falsely log

coins/TBs.

The format can contain a prefix (like CA_________) and then be followed by

a random combination of 4 letters & numbers (we'll generate the numbers,

you specify the prefix if you'd like one). So, a typical coin number

example would be: CA62h8 or CA124j. For personal geocoins, the prefix will

begin with a PC_____ prefix.

We can send these codes with corresponding activation codes in a txt file

or excel file, whichever works best for you.

If you wish to use the geocaching.com logo, you would have to include the

URL beneath the logo (like on the usageocoins) but you are not required to

use the logo if you so desire.

The only required text for trackable (on geocaching.com) coins would be:

"Trackable on Geocaching.com"

For personal Geocoins, we are not allowing custom icons. Only the original

coin icon may be used.

Groundspeak will need to approve the final design prior to production in

order to make sure that we are comfortable with the coin design (this is a

family friendly site, as you know).

The cost per tracking number is US$1.50 and can be paid via paypal or

credit card. There will be a 1,000 number minimum purchase required for

Organizations and a 500 number minimum purchase required for Personal

Geocoins.

It generally takes 1-2 weeks to process the coin tracking number order.

The following two coin manufacturers have the geocaching.com side of the

die already prepared and ready for insertion of tracking numbers. If you

contact them, they can provide you with pricing and art samples.

aaron.weed@coinsandpins.com

missy@coinsforanything.com

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

"E-mail contents end"

Then he includes a name and contact number.

So it is pretty much like all the pieces scattered throughout to forums, just in one place.

I also think it would be nice to see at least the current "unofficial" rules posted here about coins.

This is my understanding so far, and hopefully others can fill in the blanks:

CHOP

Yea that seems correct from what I've read.

But I do want to point out two things:

some people have been saying if you go to coinsandpins.com they will do the 'getting art approved by Groundspeak' and 'submit group's icon artwork' and 'getting the tracking numbers from Groundspeak' for you.

also, I don't think everyone's every said anything about having their 'organizaton' checked out. It seems like if you show up with the artwork and check book you too can have a state or group group coin (this isn't about if thats right/wrong, just how it seems to be working today).

QUOTE (Dew Crew @ Nov 11 2005, 03:43 PM)

If you're not an organization and are making 500 trackable coins, can they have there own icon? 

It appears so. Some commercial coins have their own Icon.

When making the "Screw Geocoins", I was told that in order to have a custom icon, and therefore prefix, I had to buy a minimum of 1000 tracking numbers, and pay a fee of $150.00 for the custom icon.

If you're not an organization and are making 500 trackable coins, can they have there own icon?

It appears so. Some commercial coins have their own Icon.

Does Groundspeak really have a commercial coin classification???

I see no mention of it. If it does, that would explain why apparently personal coins, sold for profit, are allowed to use the Groundspeak logo.

Of course, there's no mention that personal coins with the logo can't be sold for a profit, either. Does anyone else remember a mention of that guideline?

Of course, there's no mention that personal coins with the logo can't be sold for a profit, either. Does anyone else remember a mention of that guideline?

I remember reading that many times, and frankly have no idea why GC.com trackable personal coins are being sold. I don't think there's a written guideline anywhere, but then again Groundspeak seems to have really bad issues with keeping up to date, accurate guidelines for anything posted online. :rolleyes:

...Does Groundspeak really have a commercial coin classification??? 

I see no mention of it.  If it does, that would explain why apparently personal coins, sold for profit, are allowed to use the Groundspeak logo.

Of course, there's no mention that personal coins with the logo can't be sold for a profit, either.  Does anyone else remember a mention of that guideline?

Not formally, not that I'm aware of. While I can't speak for other groups, ICE had to invent several coin catagories so members could set their orders. Commercial is a catagory that we don't do. The line does blur though. Several companies have sprang up to make coins. Some geocachers seem to specialize in making as many coins as they came come up with.

The Groundspeak logo can be used for small quantities of items that are not sold. In the case of coins if you buy the tracking number it becomes 'not sold for profit'. http://www.geocaching.com/about/logousage.aspx

The coin guideline came about later. I would imagine that if you didn't use the logo you could sell your coins for whatever you wanted, but that would need a definitive answer from Groundspeak.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Just a hypothetical question (like the Sarge, I have to convince the wife that all this money is going towards booze :P ):

I understand the 1000/500 tracking number buying blocks for State/Event coins, and the $150.00 for the exclusive Icon. Now, it's unlikely that I could ever organize an Event that would attract 500 participants :o , so I'm assuming you could buy the block of numbers and use them from one year to the next (like for an annual Event), say 100 numbers a year or so.

The question is, could you buy the block of tracking numbers, but use different Icons for that one block of numbers. For instance, 1-100 would have one Icon, then the second year (say numbers 101-200), would have a seperate Icon. It seems like if you tell the folks at GC the range of numbers from the block that you'll be using that year, it wouldn't be a big deal to set up. Is that confusing enough :laughing:

A second question for the BB (Big Brains) on the forums: One of the members of our group asked for permission to use the CITO logo on his upcoming Event and was told that it was a copyrighted logo and couldn't be used (I got this second hand, so I may not have all the ins and outs of the decision). Is this true? Seems a pity to me. CITO is such a great ambassadorial function of geocaching, I would think you'd want to put it out there as much as possible.

So let me see if I understand... You can take a travel bug tag and attach it to any peice of smut you want, and I've seen some very family UN-FRIENDLY travel bugs out there, but when you want to make a geocoin to represent your-self/group/state, where your name is going to be on it, "The Man" has to tell you it's ok by them for "Your coin" to have your design on it? Or are they checking for copyright infringement (see Big Bear coin where they tried to claim that Groundspeak owned the rights to the 4 color scheme) if this is so, then why are there coins with stolen artwork being minted and sold? (I'm not going to point any fingers right now) This is a big deal. So called borrowed artwork is not as big an issue when used personally, and coins given away or even traded, but when someone starts selling them on the forums or even ebay, it becomes a profit issue, and much under jurisdiction of the FTC. I guess I could buy a bunch of travel bugs (yeah, they cost a bit more) and have some coins with phaluses and middle-fingers minted and use the numbers from the travel bugs. No one can stop me from releasing those.

Ok, that pot is stirred pretty well. :signalviolin:

OK Folks-

This is a discussion of basic rules for production of geocoins.  A couple of the posts look like they are trying to start an argument.  :signalviolin:  :mad:  :mad:

Please limit yourself to posting what are the rules/requirements for getting a coin produced.

Thanks

Sorry. :( I had to vent tho...

Didn't you already post "THE RULES"?

Yeah, you did, they are right there in post #12 in this forum.

I guess I just bumped the topic and hilighted the answer. :lol:

Thanks

I posted the "rules" that GC.com sent me. That appears to be the minimum basic standards. Others have posted additional information. It may appear that there are no official rules, just guidelines to be interpreted by someone we will probably never meet. But my hope is that those that have coins made, will post here and let us know what is acceptable or what works for them. I asked the moderator to post the GC Guidelines last week to a place where everyone could easily find them.

Enjoy

I understand the 1000/500 tracking number buying blocks for State/Event coins, and the $150.00 for the exclusive Icon.  Now, it's unlikely that I could ever organize an Event that would attract 500 participants  :D , so I'm assuming you could buy the block of numbers and use them from one year to the next (like for an annual Event), say 100 numbers a year or so.

The geocoinclub does just that, so the answer is yes.

The question is,  could you buy the block of tracking numbers, but use  different Icons for that one block of numbers.  For instance, 1-100 would have one Icon, then the second year (say numbers 101-200), would have a seperate Icon.  It seems like if you tell the folks at GC the range of numbers from the block that you'll be using that year, it wouldn't be a big deal to set up.  Is that confusing enough  :P

While technically possible, I don't think this will be allowed. Custom icons are tied to the entire block of numbers.

--Marky