What To Charge?

SeventhSon

I'm designing a Kansas Geocoin and am not sure what to charge. I see some offer pre-orders and use this money to have the coin minted. Since I haven't won the lottery yet, this seems like the way to go. I'm not looking to make a profit, but I don't want it to cost me, either :rolleyes: I haven't shipped metal coins, so I'm not sure what shipping would be.

So, what would be a fair price for a numbered non-trackable state coin to cover the cost of the coin plus shipping?

Any help would be great. Thanks

Your best bet is to do the artwork and get all the colors, sizes, details worked out from the coin mint first.

Then you'll get a final price on actually getting them into your hands (metal type, die fees, shipping, etc.).

At that point (before sending them $$ to mint the coin) you cna post payment info.

Your best bet is to do the artwork and get all the colors, sizes, details worked out from the coin mint first.

Then you'll get a final price on actually getting them into your hands (metal type, die fees, shipping, etc.).

At that point (before sending them $$ to mint the coin) you cna post payment info.

Yep this is the way to do it.

Thanks. I'll go that route.

I'm designing a Kansas Geocoin and am not sure what to charge. I see some offer pre-orders and use this money to have the coin minted. Since I haven't won the lottery yet, this seems like the way to go. I'm not looking to make a profit, but I don't want it to cost me, either  :rolleyes:  I haven't shipped metal coins, so I'm not sure what shipping would be.

So, what would be a fair price for a numbered non-trackable state coin to cover the cost of the coin plus shipping?

Any help would be great. Thanks

We (The Delaware State Club) are getting ready to take the web orders for our coins. Should have the link up later this week.

If I had to do it again, here are the steps I would take:

1) Design the coin, fewer inputs you have on the design the better. Designing by committee is a disaster. That being said, make sure you include the major players in your state if they are interested as it is a STATE coin not a personal coin.

2) Shop a couple of the coin places to see who will give you the quality and price you are looking for. (Get some recommendations from people who have done this and had great experiences.)

3) If you are going to make the coins GC.com trackable, contact them now so they can get started on the numbers. It takes time and you want your numbers ready once the coins are ready to be minted.

4) Don't take orders off the forum as it is really hard to track and no matter how many times you ask people to stop posting requests to the thread, they still happen.

5) Have some way to take the orders. We setup a web site that will handle all the ordering of the coin with the money funneling through Paypal. So if you don't have a paypal account, set one up.

6) Post a link to the web site on the forum with pictures of the coin when you are ready.

7) Once you have the money, pay for the numbers and then pay for the coins.

8) In around 3 weeks when the coins arrive you will package and send them.

Just as a point of reference, we will be charging $8 for our standard geocoin. We added the costs of having the coin made, the price of the numbers from geocaching.com, the price of the icon (optional), and cost of shipping materials together and this is what we came too. We rounded up a little as we wanted to make sure none of us would be stuck paying for everyone else to have coins. Even at this, given our design we are at pretty close to the break even point. The club should make a little amount of money off the sales (depending on the coins sales) and that money will go towards events in Delaware for the caching public.

The limited addition coin (only ever going to be 300) is going to be more expensive as we have some cool plans for the proceeds that will benefit the geocaching community as a whole and not just Delaware cachers. We also figure that by raising the price of the limited addition coin there is a greater chance that the people who really want the coin will get it. If we made the limited addition coin the same price as the regular they would sell in minutes to people who really don't care which they get. Unfortunately because we took a bunch of requests at the initial announcement off the forum, this coin may never even be on our web site for sale as they are getting close to being completely sold out already.

Hope this helps you out,

2Dolphins

Edited by 2Dolphins

Now that you have said your doing a coin, there are three people in total now making a trackable Kansas Geocoin, one of which is great looking and ready for production.

Wow-three coins for one state.

{edit-I just now read yours is not trackable-which I do not recommend at all}

Edited by Ladycacher
Now that you have said your doing a coin, there are three people in total now making a trackable Kansas Geocoin, one of which is great looking and ready for production.

Wow-three coins for one state.

{edit-I just now read yours is not trackable-which I do not recommend at all}

Ok, this is the first I've heard that someone was already planning a Kansas coin. I'll get back to my personal coin then.

The reason I was not gonna make it trackable is because it seems a waste of a buck and a half to track it from the mailbox to the coin collection. <_<<_<

I better spend more time in the forums so I can catch a chance at getting one or both of these.