Quest Vs. Quest 2 Memory

mikedx

Gang,

Am looking between the Quest and Quest 2. Difference in price about $200. The only notable difference that I see is that the 1 has 115 MB memory vs. the 2 coming preloaded with all maps of North America.

My question is, what does 115MB get you? There is nothing that you compare the map size vs. memory requirements. So with the Garmin City Select, how much area can you put into the Quest 1 with 115 MB memory? A state? 5 states? Eastern US???

Mike

My question is, what does 115MB get you?  There is nothing that you compare the map size vs. memory requirements.  So with the Garmin City Select, how much area can you put into the Quest 1 with 115 MB memory?    A state?  5 states?  Eastern US???

115MB will get you all of WV, VA and OH, plus a good bit of PA and KY.

Edited by Neo_Geo
My question is, what does 115MB get you? There is nothing that you compare the map size vs. memory requirements. So with the Garmin City Select, how much area can you put into the Quest 1 with 115 MB memory? A state? 5 states? Eastern US???

It varies a lot with the region. If you are including major metropolitan areas like NYC, LA, DC, Chicago you will get less coverage. If leave out these areas, you'll get a lot more coverage.

With the 56 megs in my 60CS I'm able to fit all of NJ, NYC, Long Island, eastern PA, part of CT and southeastern NY to about Albany. If I don't select NYC and its immediate area then I can add all of CT and some of MA and VT.

So in short, you can fit quite a lot into 115 megs. Still,if you can swing it, that Quest II is sweet. You have all of North America, plus 140 megs to run topo. I wish they would put that in a regular handheld.

I pondered this same question a couple of months ago. I wanted to go cheap but the more I thought about it it's nice to have all the maps already loaded. The only downside I see is you can't do your route planning on your PC and download them. I'm not too computer literate myself but I'm lovin' this Quest 2. Just tell it where you want to go and it can take you there. Plus it goes from my Motorcycle to my truck in a snap. I would like to learn how to download caches into it though.

One more difference between the two units: the Quest includes a second unlock code for the CitySelect maps so they can be loaded into a second GPSR, a hand held like the Vista C, for example. The Quest 2 comes preloaded but doesn't come with the DVD maps or the code for loading into a second device or for using on a computer.

The only downside I see is you can't do your route planning on your PC and download them.

I've read on some GPS forums that Garmin will supply the Mapsource if you call them (tech support I guess) and tell them you want it. So you can do your route planning on your computer. I was all set to buy the Quest 2 when the announcement about the 2730 came out. I've been thinking about getting XM for a while, so I caved in. :lol: