Cache Kit

daytribe

We tend to go Geocaching as a family (all four of us) and most of the following generally goes into one rucksack slung over good old Dad's back. :rolleyes:

GPSr (Garmin GPSMAP60)

Printout of Cache details (not gone paperless yet, the missus likes something to write her calculations on, and she always does an excellent job)

Camera

Zambuk (antiseptic cream)

Plasters

Offerings for the God of the cache

Pen

Munchies (also very important)

Lastly, and probably most importantly, a pocket sized packet or two of tissues (indispensible, if you know what I mean) :D

If it's obvious that it's going to be an extra long hike, we'll take another rucksack with food and drink for a picnic (not so much now it's colder). But generally we try to take as little as possible.

What do you take?

we always take most of the above, plus Cuticura (no soap and water handwash gel stuff) spare socks and trainers for on the way home (incase of V muddy boots) a supply of our "hazel and Phill have visited your cache stickers" and the wonderful paperless cache device - the PDA and portable Bluetooth GPS so we can not only go paperless, but cordless too!

and the wonderful paperless cache device - the PDA and portable Bluetooth GPS so we can not only go paperless, but cordless too!

I have an Ipaq which I use for storing just about everything, listening to music and occasionally watch a movie.

I worry about taking it caching though cause of water, mud and danger of dropping.

How do you find/handle it?

and the wonderful paperless cache device - the PDA and portable Bluetooth GPS so we can not only go paperless, but cordless too!

I have an Ipaq which I use for storing just about everything, listening to music and occasionally watch a movie.

I worry about taking it caching though cause of water, mud and danger of dropping.

How do you find/handle it?

It goes back into it's little case and into the rucksack as soon as we stop, that's when the Garmin comes out!!! Phill IS very careful with it if it has to come out though. You CAN get nice aluminium protective cases etc.

Phill is very protective of his PDA... I'm not allowed to touch it as I always have greasy fingers!

This stuff always goes in my camo jacket pockets:-

Mobile phone

Wallet with sufficient cash for a pint or two of lunch

Garmin Legend

Garmin iQue 3600

Ballpoint pen or a pencil

Leatherman 'Wave'

This stuff always goes in my rucksack:-

Lifesystems 'Trekker' first aid kit with some added extras

Spare, fully charged batteries.

Wet wipes & tissues

Mini Maglite

Notebook and pen

Silva compasss

Small camera tripod with bendy legs

A hank of paracord

Disposable cigarette lighter to 'cut' the paracord.

A battery 'extender' for my iQue 3600

A cable to connect the Legend to the iQue

Spare ziploc bags

A couple of plastic carrier bags

This stuff goes in sometimes, depending on conditions, where I'm going and how long I'm going for.

OS Explorer map(s), Food, drink, waterproofs, Gortex boot liners, spare socks, gloves, back-up Garmin GPS III

There is also a camera. Most times it's a Canon A60 but sometime I take the Nikon 8800 or if I'm feeling particularly strong, the Nikon F4.

If the terrain is likely to be tough then I'll take a 'Leki' pole or in extreme circumstances, two.

Oh yes.... and a funny hat :rolleyes:

This stuff always goes in my rucksack:-

Lifesystems 'Trekker' first aid kit with some added extras

Spare, fully charged batteries.

Wet wipes & tissues

Mini Maglite

Notebook and pen

Silva compasss

Small camera tripod with bendy legs

A hank of paracord

Disposable cigarette lighter to 'cut' the paracord.

A battery 'extender' for my iQue 3600

A cable to connect the Legend to the iQue

Spare ziploc bags

A couple of plastic carrier bags

This stuff goes in sometimes, depending on conditions, where I'm going and how long I'm going for.

OS Explorer map(s), Food, drink, waterproofs, Gortex boot liners, spare socks, gloves, back-up Garmin GPS III

There is also a camera. Most times it's a Canon A60 but sometime I take the Nikon 8800 or if I'm feeling particularly strong, the Nikon F4.

What else goes in it? I felt the weight you were carrying on Bute, and it was heavier than what you have listed. I tell you Mary Poppins hasn't got a look in!! <_<<_<

OK....Two posts have mentioned it: What's paracord? Will it truely enhance my life if I buy some? <_< Mrs B

The military swear by it, I always had some in my webbing. Because it is nylon based you can cut it to any lenght, and then burn the ends to stop fraying. An indespensible piece of kit, if you require to carry cord with you.

What else goes in it? I felt the weight you were carrying on Bute, and it was heavier than what you have listed. I tell you Mary Poppins hasn't got a look in!! :drama::blink:

Well I needed to give you guys a chance so there was a couple of kilos of wet sand too <_<<_<

Seriously.... just a lot junk that I didn't really need but stuck in 'to be on the safe side'. Well I was a long way from home :drama:

OK....Two posts have mentioned it: What's paracord? Will it truely enhance my life if I buy some? <_< Mrs B

I guess it must have originally been the 'strings' on a parachute but now you can get it without the silk attached. It's light and very strong for it's diameter. While I wouldn't recommend it, in an emergency it will easily support my weight (75kg). I've used it for emergency boot laces among other things and in Aviemore earlier this year it held my trousers up when my belt buckle broke <_<

Still being relatively new to geocaching I am still refining my kit list.

I go everywhere with a rucksack, and it always contains: a spare pair of laces, a safety pin (me mum said always carry a safety pin in case your knicker elastic breaks...), piece of plastic foam wrapping material (useful for keeping the behind warm when sitting on cold ground), biros, pencils and notebook, phone, MP3 player, sweeties <_< , water bottle, purse, RAC card in case I break down in a remote place, antiseptic cream, plasters, paracetamol tablets, doggy doo bag, dog treats, halti, carrier bags, water bottle, umbrella and waterproof coat - and that is just for when I go to Tesco.

When I go geocaching I add: GPSr, OS map, bag of swaps, camera (if the batteries are charged), and from now on, rubber gloves. My grandma's old umbrella broke the other week - well it was about 30 years old. It was useful for poking around in long grass and heather, so I may well have to buy another one.

Yep, the GSOH I am working on! I normally have an active one, but recent rainy DNFs have flattened it a bit. Initially I thought my dog may be useful in sniffing out caches but she is better at sniffing out half-eaten baguettes and fox poo . <_<

My children (15 and 17) are not small enough to send down holes, alas, but they do seem to have sharper eyes than their old ma and they can be put on sentry duty to look out for muggles, so they are quite useful.

Edited by Rose_Thorn
:anibad: Most invaluable is a small child to put down holes that some people put caches down around here that are nearly physicaly impossible to get an adult down to retreive the cache :anitongue:

Don't know what you're on about!!!

That's a great picture. I have got to ask. What was the story behind this picture? :anitongue:

Nowdays...

GPS, spacepen and camera.

The backpack (and all it's equipment contained therein) stays in the boot of the car on 95% of expeditions these days.

Do miss the odd wetwipe now and then though, some caches can be soooooo grubby!

:anitongue:

Jon

.........I'd better take that one off my do list then :P  :P  :anitongue:  :anitongue:  :anibad:  :D

To put it in perspective.... this is a photo I took of Woodworm down in Underworld 8: Bonus. Woodworm is an adult male, and not in the least bit large. I only just fitted, and I wouldn't call myself fat (but I am getting there if I am not careful!)

12a743f0-a66b-4b2f-b911-18ceb742f718.jpg

and to keep on topic.... a torch can be very useful for lots of caches.

My kit includes but not always present

Garmin GPSMap 60CS

Mobile phone for cacher hot line (Only used to report dead cats at caches)

PDA & BT338 Bluetooth GPS

MIO 168 PDA / GPS(Backup in case I do a Rutson)

Pen, Pencil, sharpener, rubber and pad

Small Laptop (sometimes)

Gloves

Bag

Spare paper

Baby wipes (clean hands after probing a dead cat)

Dry socks (a must for wet walks)

Wet weather gear (after all I live in the UK)

Torch

Money / Wallet (Mainly for trades in the Pub)

Maybe more but that is all I could think of whilst on my lunch hour

Milton (aka Moote)